PDA

View Full Version : A/C Diodes?

minigts
07-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Anyone know what the values for these should be? I'm switching some stuff over and there seems to be a couple of diodes on the 87 and it's different on the 91+, but there are diodes there. Since I don't have them, anyone know the values or does it matter? I'm assuming it does.

minigts
07-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Well I see one for 12v, so I guess that is what I would use?

risen
07-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Diodes have a few major ratings: forward voltage drop, max current, reverse voltage, and max voltage. If you can get the part numbers off each diode you can look up the datasheets and see if they're similar in electrical properties or not. They may be the same just in a different case.

turbovanmanČ
07-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Its called a clamping diode, its to stop the power surging when the clutch is turned off. Just run a 20 watt diode, maybe overkill but better safe than sorry.

I know they weren't that big on the older cars so maybe you can run smaller?

turbodaytona87
07-13-2010, 12:32 PM
On my fan and a/c clutch relay wiring, it used 1N4004 diodes. Check for part numbers on the diodes themselves and see if Radioshack has them. I think part of it has to do with the A/C clutch activating the fan relay, but the fan relay NOT activating the A/C clutch.

Did you actually take apart the relays, or are your diodes located elsewhere?

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
07-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Wow!!!!!!! You guy know your shizzits

turbovanmanČ
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM
On my fan and a/c clutch relay wiring, it used 1N4004 diodes. Check for part numbers on the diodes themselves and see if Radioshack has them. I think part of it has to do with the A/C clutch activating the fan relay, but the fan relay NOT activating the A/C clutch.

Its to stop the power spike when the clutch comes on and off, ;)

turbodaytona87
07-13-2010, 03:36 PM
The ones I'm talking about are in the relays, so I could be talking about totally different parts. Its also a 1 amp rectifying diode.

risen
07-13-2010, 05:05 PM
The diodes are doing the same thing in both cases. They're shunting the power spike made by the collapsing field around the coil back to the +12v circuit. I originally though the request was for diodes to rectify a/c current, like in a alternator.

turbodaytona87
07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Interesting

minigts
07-13-2010, 05:13 PM

I did take the relay cover off the factory one, but I was reading in a couple of the service manuals and the diodes are located in a couple of places, all in paths though. I may just pull those off and use them, but I'd prefer to keep that thing in tact until I can affirm it works as it should. I figured Radio Shack would have some.

turbodaytona87
07-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah they're sold in packs of 2 for $2 each