PDA

View Full Version : AGM batteries

Bozo
07-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I did a search on here but wasn't able to find anything on these batteries. The questions I have are regarding the smaller sizes, brands, pros/cons, etc. I have limited space in the engine bay and although it's going to get cleaned up, I want to move the battery from the trunk back up front. At SDAC, I saw at least one car with a smaller AGM and it really interested me. So,

Is anyone currently using one in their TM or other car?

Does anyone have any information on what brands might be best?

What are the pros and cons with using one of these?

If you have any other input and/or suggestions regarding these, please feel free to comment.

Thanks!

Tony

minigts
07-08-2010, 12:17 AM
There are some dry cells that have a small footprint and are lightweight. Someone did some research a while back, I think Rbryant and he posted up some site that sold them, but I don't remember which site. If I can find his posting, I'll reply later.

Dusty_Duster
07-08-2010, 10:06 AM
A lot of people with smaller batteries use the Odyssey brand (http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Ignitions-Electrical/Brand/Odyssey-Battery/?Ns=Rank|Asc).

A smaller battery will (usually) have a lower CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) number and a lower reserve capacity. The lower CCA means that it might be more difficult to start your car in the cold. The lower reserve capacity means that you should NOT run accessories with the engine off--the battery will "die" much more quickly.

The advantage is that the small, sealed, dry-cell batteries can be mounted just about anywhere and in almost any position.