PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Lancer Project Log

Twisted Noodle
07-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Well, since she didn't sell I'm going to keep her. This time I am going to do everything right and put all the power adders on hold. (since I sold em all)

This project is going to consist of 2 parts. General Maintenance/Safety, then we'll work on the Powah.. After seeing some video's of you all at SDAC I started to get the bug. I was getting away from it because I am the only TM guy down this part of the world, so I was losing interest. Now this is what is going to drive me.

I also have a friend down here that is really into his Honduh's. He has about 7 of them in his yard. He is always ragging on my Dodge.

Chris - " You know what Dodge means?"
Me - "whats that, I'm sure this is going to be good..."
Chris - " To AVOID!!"
ME - " Actually Chris, the definition in the dictionary states..
to elude or evade"
Chris - " That's crap, you can't read"...

... I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Twisted Noodle
07-07-2010, 12:12 AM
So I decided to start from the inside. I have owned this car for 2 years and never cared to lift the carpet and check out what beneath.

To my surprise it was very clean. Nothing but bright red paint and a little mold not one spec of rust. The mold, I gather is from water getting in on the passenger side some where. I'm thinking it's the cowl seeping down water from where the wiper motor hides. I mixed a little bleach with some water to kill the mold/mildew, and smell I have smelt the last 2 years. The carpet is going to the power washer tomorrow to get cleaned.

Aries_Turbo
07-07-2010, 12:46 AM
set the carpet upside down outside in the sun. it will help kill the mold and kill the stink. it also helps if you let it sit out there through a few rainstorms upside down too.

ive done this a few times and the carpet comes out smelling great!

some alkyl dimethyl ammonium chloride couldnt hurt either (kills mold)

my daytona was leaking from the cowl too. i picked all the old --- seam sealer out, coated any rust in rust bullet, coated the area in new seam sealer from eastwood, got high from the fumes and then coated it all with some rustoleum. no more leaks. :)

brian

135sohc
07-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Nothing but bright red paint and a little mold not one spec of rust. .

Your off to a better start than most :thumb:

moparman76_69
07-09-2010, 07:08 AM
As weird as this will sound, you have to be careful not to get rust down there just as much as up north. That and everything that is unprotected aluminum will start to corrode if your not careful because the air is so salty.

Twisted Noodle
07-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Yep that's a big 10-4.. However, alot of cars down are rust free. It really depends on how close you are to the gulf. I live about 30 miles from it. But I do work at a ship yard so obviously we are right on the water...

Aries_Turbo
07-09-2010, 11:54 PM
you gonna haul me up some rust free shells? :)

Brian

Twisted Noodle
07-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Just say the word.. I'll be back up this christmas.

Aries_Turbo
07-10-2010, 12:14 AM
95 neon :)

moparman76_69
07-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Yep that's a big 10-4.. However, alot of cars down are rust free. It really depends on how close you are to the gulf. I live about 30 miles from it. But I do work at a ship yard so obviously we are right on the water...

I know exactly where you live. Get struck by lightning yet?

I lived in Theodore and it wasn't an issue, When I lived in Pascagoula though I was a few minutes from the gulf and everything under the hood of my truck started to be corroded.

Twisted Noodle
07-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Heh Heh , No haven't been struck by lightning yet. but have been amazed by some of the displays. I have never seen lightning like down here... crazy stuff. The Shelby hasn't been driven to work that much. I mostly ride my Harley or was diving my truck until I sold it. Now the Harley is up for sale so I have no choice but to take the Shelby. I'll just have to take some extra precautions.

Aries_Turbo
07-11-2010, 02:27 PM
buy a 100$ beater to get to work. :)

Brian

xdig
07-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Glad to hear that you are keeping it. Post pics when you get a chance.

Twisted Noodle
07-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Will do Dave.

Here are a couple shots of the interior under the carpet...

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/TwistedNoodle_1/IMAG0114.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/TwistedNoodle_1/IMAG0113.jpg

Aries_Turbo
07-16-2010, 06:53 AM
damn! thats nice!

Brian