PDA

View Full Version : Participation Numbers...

DC Turismo
07-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Scanning through old school SDAC photos on the club's site, I came across this pic. and my jaw dropped. Can we PLEASE see this type of participation in a future event?? I mean, SDAC-15 is the largest one I've been to, but to have 50+ cars drag racing alone at SDAC-3 is amazing. Of course at that time the Shelby stuff was still relatively new, whereas now seeing these things isn't all that common and, as evidenced by the site, only a small niche of enthusiasts follow these cars twenty plus years later. I think it'd really be something to see something like this in person:

http://www.sdac.org/sdac_photo_pages/old_pics/pages/s3_manstage.html

ForzaV12
07-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Digging through those shots, you'll spot Alan in a tank top and his red GLHS when it was near new. Also, Maurice with the Viper probably has more Viper memorabilia than anyone on the planet.

sdac guy
07-07-2010, 04:43 AM
Scanning through old school SDAC photos on the club's site, I came across this pic. and my jaw dropped. Can we PLEASE see this type of participation in a future event?? I mean, SDAC-15 is the largest one I've been to, but to have 50+ cars drag racing alone at SDAC-3 is amazing. Of course at that time the Shelby stuff was still relatively new, whereas now seeing these things isn't all that common and, as evidenced by the site, only a small niche of enthusiasts follow these cars twenty plus years later. I think it'd really be something to see something like this in person:

http://www.sdac.org/sdac_photo_pages/old_pics/pages/s3_manstage.htmlFirst Billy, you need to re-read the caption on the pic. That was not at SDAC-3, that was at a Mason/Dixon CHAPTER event in Sept 1993. SDAC-3 was in Detroit in July 1993. But it is an impressive pic, and it was most likely staged. We used to do group pics a lot back then.

50+ cars at an SDAC drag day used to be common. It is only in the last 6-7 years that we dropped to about 40 or less. We had 41 drag racers at SDAC-20.

I haven't input all the on-site registration forms yet so I don't have the total attendance figure for this year. But it was a little over 140. The autocross had 33 drivers, and we had less than 20 cars in the rally.

Barry

BadAssPerformance
07-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Wow, staged or not, thats huge for a "Chapter" event! :hail:

I agree Billy, we need better turnouts at all our events! ...whether it be the annual SDAC convention or local chapter events! ....TurboPalooza, Cecil fun day, SDAC CHICAGO @ CMC's BELVIDERE MOPAR HAPPENING JULY 17/18 ;), Carlisle, this weekend, etc...

DC Turismo
07-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I saw the year 1993 mentioned in the caption and assumed it was at SDAC-3 since it is in between two SDAC-3 pictures. That is unbelievable for a chapter meet, wow! I was simply impressed with the overwhelming amount of vehicles/owners participating, especially with all of the customizations that were already going on back then (Omnis with wagon wheels, Rampages with SC front end swaps, etc). Pretty cool photo nonetheless. Never knew a chapter held nationals back then either.

Dusty_Duster
07-07-2010, 09:49 AM
First Billy, you need to re-read the caption on the pic. That was not at SDAC-3, that was at a Mason/Dixon CHAPTER event in Sept 1993. SDAC-3 was in Detroit in July 1993. But it is an impressive pic, and it was most likely staged. We used to do group pics a lot back then.

50+ cars at an SDAC drag day used to be common. It is only in the last 6-7 years that we dropped to about 40 or less. We had 41 drag racers at SDAC-20.

I haven't input all the on-site registration forms yet so I don't have the total attendance figure for this year. But it was a little over 140. The autocross had 33 drivers, and we had less than 20 cars in the rally.

Barry

The rally was a blast, but I'll never forgive Scott for the turn onto Iron Bridge Road, which was pretty much completely hidden. :lol:

Who won the rally?

2.216VTurbo
07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Digging through those shots, you'll spot Alan in a tank top and his red GLHS when it was near new. Also, Maurice with the Viper probably has more Viper memorabilia than anyone on the planet.

A rare photo where I kept my shirt ON huh:D Man I was skinny in '95:o

sdac guy
07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
....... Never knew a chapter held nationals back then either. My fault there. It was the Mid-Atlantic Mopar Nationals and the Mason/Dixon chapter (which later became the DV chapter) met up there.

I believe the M-A Nats are still held, at least I recall hearing about them from a couple years ago.

Who won the rally? Clay and Mandy Cooke (with backseat passengers Pete Knoll Sr & Jr). They were the only team to get all the questions correct.

Barry

firebaron90
07-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Clay and Mandy Cooke (with backseat passengers Pete Knoll Sr & Jr). They were the only team to get all the questions correct.

Wow clay won, and still had time to make a pit stop in the weeds......right clay.:D

pokadot1
07-07-2010, 06:48 PM

http://www.sdac.org/sdac_photo_pages/old_pics/pages/s3_manstage.html
That was a fun day. I had rented Cecil county dragway and tried to have a mopar only race. I did that for about 10 years, costs got to high for a rental so we still "invade" Cecil at least once a year.
My fake csx car #16 was still turbo 2 at that race, I think. When we made it a NHRA stocker we added a white v6 hood to clear the intake. I heard it still around running NHRA stock? anbody see it?
Behind it is the "mexican" factory turbo2 wagon complet with the mexican Serial numbers.
and Behind it is my Turbo 2 "shelby" rampage. sure would be fun to have any of them back.
Lots of still active SDAC members in that picture Just they look younger LOL
Cliffy

BadAssPerformance
07-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the history Cliff :thumb:

jonnyb
07-10-2010, 06:58 AM
A rare photo where I kept my shirt ON huh:D Man I was skinny in '95:o

You look the same to me Alan...what's it like to not age?

And that wide flat brim cap - those didn't really come into fashion until the late 90's - you were a trend setter! LOL!!!

ForzaV12
07-10-2010, 01:25 PM
You look the same to me Alan...what's it like to not age?

And that wide flat brim cap - those didn't really come into fashion until the late 90's - you were a trend setter! LOL!!!

get a room.

2.216VTurbo
07-10-2010, 07:55 PM
get a room.

Jealousy rears it's ugly head:p

jonnyb
07-17-2010, 08:01 AM
get a room.

OK - I'll take the one in your avatar...please include the cars in the picture as well :thumb: