PDA

View Full Version : Anyone converted to auto trans?

denviola
06-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Any SRT-4s out there converted to auto trans?

Before anyone flames me for asking this, my wife will be looking at knee replacements in the future, so for now auto trans is the way for her to go.
So, I'm looking for info on what must be done to make the swap in a SRT-4. Spcifically, looking for a discussion on what must be done for a street car. I have found some race auto info, those mostly are manual valve bodies.

Thanks

mark
06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
what would be cool is an actuator arm to a hand lever on the shifter that moved the clutch lever proportionally to how hard your pulling it...

can be controlled by electronics so you can have light clutch engage/disengage, and hard engage/disengage for racing.

hmmm...

TurboGLH
06-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Next year. We're going to use my car to prototype a setup that we want to sell alongside the TD stuff.

You would need: Trans, Trans cooler, Axles, Tranny mount, intake, mod TB for kick down (thats why manual vb is easier), shifter, cable and wiring changes.

The only thing I don't have a line on is the trans mount. A couple of companies make kits, but no mention of what mount they're using. The rest is all cost limited. A set of axles will have to be custom made, need a modified intake or even better one of lonewolfs with a stock TB flange on it. The shifter and cable can be generic aftermarket and the wiring necessary to defeat the clutch in and replace it with a neutral safety switch (easy).

denviola
06-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Next year. We're going to use my car to prototype a setup that we want to sell alongside the TD stuff.

The only thing I don't have a line on is the trans mount. A couple of companies make kits, but no mention of what mount they're using.

Help me understand this. I'm thinking a normal AT Neon mount will work or will be close and could be modified easily. Is the SRT-4 engine in a different orientation underhood such that the AT mount is quite far off?
I don't have a SRT-4 to look at, just scoping out the details right now.
Wife would like a Caliber SRT-4, though I'm not going to hack up a new car under warranty.....

TurboGLH
06-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Help me understand this. I'm thinking a normal AT Neon mount will work or will be close and could be modified easily. Is the SRT-4 engine in a different orientation underhood such that the AT mount is quite far off?
I don't have a SRT-4 to look at, just scoping out the details right now.
Wife would like a Caliber SRT-4, though I'm not going to hack up a new car under warranty.....

A neon 3spd will bolt in, no real problem. The issues are that a 2nd gen neon was never available with a 3spd auto, they all got a 4spd. So no axles or tranny mount available from the factory, you have to make a tranny mount of some kind work and get a set of axles made (although even if their were a set of axles made you probably wouldn't want to use them 130 crank hp vs 230whp)

DodgeZ
06-15-2006, 10:55 AM
The oil cooler gets in the way of the axle I heard... that was from a guy with a 2nd gen auto car with an srt4 motor.

JDAWG
06-15-2006, 01:47 PM
what about a trans from a gt cruiser?

r00tcause
06-15-2006, 02:00 PM

That would be easiest. In fact you could swap the whole set of electronics in so it all runs right. It's a 4 speed 41TE btw.

r00tcause
06-15-2006, 02:01 PM
A neon 3spd will bolt in, no real problem. The issues are that a 2nd gen neon was never available with a 3spd auto, they all got a 4spd. So no axles or tranny mount available from the factory, you have to make a tranny mount of some kind work and get a set of axles made (although even if their were a set of axles made you probably wouldn't want to use them 130 crank hp vs 230whp)

The 2000 and 2001 2G neons are both listed as having the 3 speed. (4 speed is listed for 2002+)

TurboGLH
06-15-2006, 08:58 PM
The 2000 and 2001 2G neons are both listed as having the 3 speed. (4 speed is listed for 2002+)

I could be wrong then. I was under the impression that a 3spd was never offered in the 2nd gen cars. Where did you get that info from if you don't mind my asking?

TurboGLH
06-15-2006, 09:00 PM

That would be easiest. In fact you could swap the whole set of electronics in so it all runs right. It's a 4 speed 41TE btw.

I don't know how much I was trust a 4spd behind that much hp. The only reason the new 4spds last longer and beind more power than the 604's is because cylinders are dropped on shifts.

JDAWG
06-15-2006, 11:53 PM
rootcause is deff correct about the 3spd, the GT cruisers were basically detuned, computer wise, sadly. They were about 30 or 20 hp less?? than the srt4's. Turboglh, feel free to send me a PM

TurboGLH
06-16-2006, 09:11 AM
rootcause is deff correct about the 3spd, the GT cruisers were basically detuned, computer wise, sadly. They were about 30 or 20 hp less?? than the srt4's. Turboglh, feel free to send me a PM

180hp and 210 lb-ft on the 4spd's. It's just not up to the power, they haven't done any real upgrades internally since it came out all the changes to make it last are all software.

contraption22
06-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Yup I've defintely seen 2nd gens with factory 3 speeds.

TurboGLH
06-16-2006, 03:16 PM

Yup I've defintely seen 2nd gens with factory 3 speeds.

All of you guys are right, I made a common mistake and took someone else's word for it instead of looking myself. Looks like the 3spd was used in 2k and 2k1 but dropped in 2k2 as it was the last platform using a 3spd at that point.

ScottD
06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
I was just on Chrysler's web site and you can get the GT Cruiser with the 2.4 HO turbo (230hp) and the automatic transmission.

The 180hp engine that is being mentioned is an option on the lesser PTs. I did some reading on the 180hp PT in the past and I believe the only difference is the PCM.

I'm sure with some work you could probably put an automatic in an SRT-4. But there are lots of PT Cruiser GT turbo automatics out there used with low miles and in good shape, maybe that would be an alternative. I love my SRT-4, but with the Viper seats, stiff suspension, and loud-ish (Mopar cat-back) exhaust, it isn't really a daily driver in my opinion. I must be getting old, I can remember when noise, seats I could barely get into, and a suspension that would rattle my teeth were of the utmost importance for my daily driver. Also, insurance is MUCH lower for a PT Cruiser.

DodgeZ
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
I was just on Chrysler's web site and you can get the GT Cruiser with the 2.4 HO turbo (230hp) and the automatic transmission.

The 180hp engine that is being mentioned is an option on the lesser PTs. I did some reading on the 180hp PT in the past and I believe the only difference is the PCM.

I'm sure with some work you could probably put an automatic in an SRT-4. But there are lots of PT Cruiser GT turbo automatics out there used with low miles and in good shape, maybe that would be an alternative. I love my SRT-4, but with the Viper seats, stiff suspension, and loud-ish (Mopar cat-back) exhaust, it isn't really a daily driver in my opinion. I must be getting old, I can remember when noise, seats I could barely get into, and a suspension that would rattle my teeth were of the utmost importance for my daily driver. Also, insurance is MUCH lower for a PT Cruiser.
My dad is 61 and loves his SRT ;)

r00tcause
06-21-2006, 02:04 AM
The bottom line is that this is one easy swap. Find a 2k or 2k1 neon and pull all the parts. Then build up the 3 speed like you would any "413" and install. It's about as straight-forward as any swap can get.

T72 SRT-4
09-27-2006, 10:10 AM
I installed a 31th A413 that I got from Darrell Cox. I had to make a custom tranny mount, relocate the ECU, cut the intercooler pipe shorter and fab up a new chargepipe from the intercooler to the throttlebody. I also had to make a linkage for my B&M shifter and mount the tranny cooler in the area behind the driver's side fog light. I cut out the section of bumber that the fog light was in so the cooler gets great airflow. The Axles I got from Frank at the Drive Shaft Shop. It is a tight fit but the tranny will fit.

Keito
09-27-2006, 11:06 AM
I installed a 31th A413 that I got from Darrell Cox. I had to make a custom tranny mount, relocate the ECU, cut the intercooler pipe shorter and fab up a new chargepipe from the intercooler to the throttlebody. I also had to make a linkage for my B&M shifter and mount the tranny cooler in the area behind the driver's side fog light. I cut out the section of bumber that the fog light was in so the cooler gets great airflow. The Axles I got from Frank at the Drive Shaft Shop. It is a tight fit but the tranny will fit.

I'd like to know what parts you fabbed up to install a B&M shifter.
That would be sweet in my Omni.

WVRampage
09-27-2006, 11:07 AM

Show us some pics.