PDA

View Full Version : TU Cal Questions

gasketmaster
07-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I've e-mailed Chris and Paul about this but I think they are at SDAC 20 because I haven't had a responce yet ;)

Has anybody here ran a TU cal?

Have you been able to run an OTC scanner or scanner of any type with it?

If so....what engine code did you use in the scanner if using a TU 3 bar SMEC type cal?

I'm getting all kinds of bogus numbers so something ain't quite right :D

Thanks for your time :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
07-05-2010, 04:52 PM
a scanner assumes a 2 bar cal so any map #'s are immediately out the window. Other than that you know you need to figure out what base cal they used.

turbovanmanČ
07-05-2010, 07:03 PM
You have to play around with the year, I think you use an 88 or 89 code A or TII engine to get the data right.

Chris W
07-06-2010, 08:32 AM
That's most likely Paul's protection software at work :). I emailed him to chime in here or send you a response. We are currently enroute to Carlisle and will be out of the office.

Chris-TU

gasketmaster
07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
That's most likely Paul's protection software at work :). I emailed him to chime in here or send you a response. We are currently enroute to Carlisle and will be out of the office.

Chris-TU

Thanks Chris :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
07-07-2010, 08:10 AM
That's most likely Paul's protection software at work :).

what kind of protection software disables the use of a scan tool? thats kind of ridiculous dont you think? especially if its not a CEL blink on knock cal. youll have no way of knowing if its knocking.

Brian

1FastCSX289
07-07-2010, 08:21 AM
I tried scanning my CSX to check the knock sensor and my scan tool fills in all kinds of erroneous information as well and im not running Paul's cal. I assumed it was the crappy OBD 1 software on the Genysis......but maybe its the actual re-write of the chip that does something to the ability of the tool to read. I am going to try an old school OTC and see if that makes a diff.

ShelGame
07-07-2010, 09:24 AM
There are specific codes in the first few bytes of a cal that are used by the scan tool to determine what the ECU application is. If those get moved or removed, the scan tools can't auto ID the cal. There are also different codes for DRB-type scantools vs. the non-factory scan tools.

turbovanmanČ
07-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I tried scanning my CSX to check the knock sensor and my scan tool fills in all kinds of erroneous information as well and im not running Paul's cal. I assumed it was the crappy OBD 1 software on the Genysis......but maybe its the actual re-write of the chip that does something to the ability of the tool to read. I am going to try an old school OTC and see if that makes a diff.

See post 3, :p

Aries_Turbo
07-07-2010, 01:12 PM

sean is running a sbec.

Brian

1FastCSX289
07-07-2010, 08:25 PM

See post #10 :p

There are specific codes in the first few bytes of a cal that are used by the scan tool to determine what the ECU application is. If those get moved or removed, the scan tools can't auto ID the cal. There are also different codes for DRB-type scantools vs. the non-factory scan tools.

Is there a way to determine what ECU the scan tool will recognize by looking at the bin file?

turbovanmanČ
07-07-2010, 09:38 PM
sean is running a sbec.

Brian

Crap, lol.

In my defense, he doesn't mention that, :p

1FastCSX289
07-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Crap, lol.

In my defense, he doesn't mention that, :p

You should just know, Simon. ;) :D

ShelGame
07-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Is there a way to determine what ECU the scan tool will recognize by looking at the bin file?

In the .asm for T-SMEC I put a decoder for the model codes. I'm 99% sure the aftermarket scan tools use these codes to figure out what cal/code it is talking to.

I think, though I'm not sure, that the DRBI/II actually use the cal ID (which is the 3rd and 4th bytes in the 32k DRBII cals, the 1st and 2nd in the 16k DRBI cals).

gasketmaster
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
what kind of protection software disables the use of a scan tool? thats kind of ridiculous dont you think? especially if its not a CEL blink on knock cal. youll have no way of knowing if its knocking.

Brian

Without the scan tool working my van is dead in the water :(

I'm 10 gallons of C-16 and a working scan tool away from puttin' the wood to this thing :D

I'm just patiently waiting for a responce from Paul :)

bakes
07-08-2010, 12:24 AM
The Smec Cal i had it the LS i had to use 89 daytona t2 to get the scanners to read.

1FastCSX289
07-08-2010, 08:39 AM
In the .asm for T-SMEC I put a decoder for the model codes. I'm 99% sure the aftermarket scan tools use these codes to figure out what cal/code it is talking to.

I think, though I'm not sure, that the DRBI/II actually use the cal ID (which is the 3rd and 4th bytes in the 32k DRBII cals, the 1st and 2nd in the 16k DRBI cals).

So what about that SBEC cal you wrote for me? Same thing? I guess I should just play around with the model years until something comes up that will give me accurate readings.

ShelGame
07-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Yep, SBEC is the same. It uses essentially the same DRBII protocol that the '89 T1 used. I think there are a couple of added commands.

Directconnection
07-08-2010, 12:53 PM
So... is it true? These cals are purposely scrambling the scan tool data?

turbovanmanČ
07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
You should just know, Simon. ;) :D

I know, my bad, :o

gasketmaster
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM
So nobody on this board has used a scanner on a TU 3 bar SMEC :confused2:

Aries_Turbo
07-10-2010, 01:00 PM
apparently not....

what model year did you try to input into the scanner for it to work?

id try both 88 vin A (t2) and vin E (t1) and 89 and vin A (T2) or E (T1) or J (2.5L T1) and see if anything causes it to correctly display the knock retards and knock related stuff. I doubt its going to be 89 J though because thats 2.5L T1 and most smec vendor cals are based on the T2 16k bin.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
07-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Yes, his old one, see post 3, :p

bakes
07-10-2010, 01:32 PM

yes i said use 89 daytona t2 to get in!!

gasketmaster
07-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Cool.....I'll try some of these :thumb:

I'm really hoping to hear back from Paul......I'd hate to have what looks like the correct application just to find out that some of my datalog numbers are not accurate ;)

I just like to be sure of things.....no guess work.....to much time invested to lift the head or bend a rod screwing around :D

High boost is a hostile environment......things can go wrong very quickly if you aren't getting accurate information ;)

bakes
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Cool.....I'll try some of these :thumb:

I'm really hoping to hear back from Paul......I'd hate to have what looks like the correct application just to find out that some of my datalog numbers are not accurate ;)

I just like to be sure of things.....no guess work.....to much time invested to lift the head or bend a rod screwing around :D

High boost is a hostile environment......things can go wrong very quickly if you aren't getting accurate information ;)

NO s#$t !!!!!!

gasketmaster
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
apparently not....

id try both 88 vin A (t2) and vin E (t1) and 89 and vin A (T2) or E (T1) or J (2.5L T1) and see if anything causes it to correctly display the knock retards and knock related stuff. I doubt its going to be 89 J though because thats 2.5L T1 and most smec vendor cals are based on the T2 16k bin.

Brian

Thanks Brian.....I know you can feel my pain :nod:

gasketmaster
07-10-2010, 02:34 PM
NO s#$t !!!!!!

I guess I'm getting old......wrenching on this stuff has lost it's luster for me :D

turbovanmanČ
07-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I guess I'm getting old......wrenching on this stuff has lost it's luster for me :D

Not old, maybe wiser or simply lack of time. Bakes and I were talking last night and if for some reason I toast this engine, I am out, :(

cordes
07-10-2010, 02:51 PM
apparently not....

Brian

My money is on a relocatable code which won't allow for the use of the scan tool. Hopefully it is that easy though.

risen
07-10-2010, 07:44 PM
My money is on a relocatable code which won't allow for the use of the scan tool. Hopefully it is that easy though.

Idk what tu does so I'll save the rampant speculation . But, I'm sure they know what the ram map looks like inside their own cals, and can therefore tell him which locations line up and which don't a certian year. This assumes the scanner will allow you to set a year and engine code and not force a auto id.

It's the same reason you should lo/scan g a turbonator cal as the years codebase it was based on not the year car it's stuffed on.

bakes
07-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Were you able to get in and set up the scanner?

rpmguy
07-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Gasketmaster, yo whats up. How long did you wait for your cal from paul. Im trying to get one now. I dont like the sounds of the scanner problem, Cindys cal let me run the otc.

mrboost
07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I've e-mailed Chris and Paul about this but I think they are at SDAC 20 because I haven't had a responce yet ;)

Has anybody here ran a TU cal?

Have you been able to run an OTC scanner or scanner of any type with it?

If so....what engine code did you use in the scanner if using a TU 3 bar SMEC type cal?

I'm getting all kinds of bogus numbers so something ain't quite right :D

Thanks for your time :thumb:

Hi Terry,

sorry about the wait on this.

Your cal is based off the 89 T2, and my cals are 100% compatable with all the major scan tools as well as DRB or "auto scan tools"

I also use a Monitor 4000 and on the 89's you just have to deal with the 3 choice thing, I can't remember for sure but I think it's the " #3-other" option for the T2. What I remember for sure is that it's the only one that returns valid looking data, if your RPM is reading 9999 it's the wrong one! Just look for the RPM, CTS, and spark advance to be in range and you'll know you have the right one!

Paul

gasketmaster
07-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Hi Terry,

sorry about the wait on this.

Your cal is based off the 89 T2, and my cals are 100% compatable with all the major scan tools as well as DRB or "auto scan tools"

I also use a Monitor 4000 and on the 89's you just have to deal with the 3 choice thing, I can't remember for sure but I think it's the " #3-other" option for the T2. What I remember for sure is that it's the only one that returns valid looking data, if your RPM is reading 9999 it's the wrong one! Just look for the RPM, CTS, and spark advance to be in range and you'll know you have the right one!

Paul

Thanks Paul :thumb:

Time to get busy :D

gasketmaster
07-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Gasketmaster, yo whats up. How long did you wait for your cal from paul. Im trying to get one now. I dont like the sounds of the scanner problem, Cindys cal let me run the otc.

I'll give you a call DADDY :thumb:

Getting much sleep??? :p