PDA

View Full Version : Hit a pothole, cracked a halfshaft?

riceboyler
12-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Driving home from work tonight, I hit a ridiculous pot hole on 3rd Ave and Demonbreun in Nashville, and it took out my passenger side axle. I'm going to tow it home tonight and survey the damage tomorrow.

Any tips for pulling a broken halfshaft out? :(

turbovanmanČ
12-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Depends where it broke? If the shaft broke in half, remove as usual, ditto if it broken inside the hub. Now if it sheared off inside the trans, then a magnet should be able to get it out, otherwise remove the right side housing-4 bolts and you should be easily able to pull out the remaining piece.

Clay
12-29-2005, 10:11 PM
where did it break at?

If there is still some of the axle sticking out of the intermediate shaft, then just yank it out. If it broke of inside the intermediate shaft and nothing is sticking out, then thats a bit trickier.

You could drill/tap that part of the axle, and screw a bolt into it to pull it out, or even weld a bolt to it. Ive heard of guys drilling the coupling, putting a grease zerk on it, and pumping the coupling full of grease, forcing the stub out as well.

and if you have it, heat can be your friend if your carefully where you apply it. Dont want to cook the grease out of anything.

clay

riceboyler
12-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Luckily, it appears to have broken in half. I ALMOST wish I could do a street fix and drive it home, but I don't think that'll be happening tonight with the Music City Bowl at 11am tomorrow.

GLHS592
12-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Where is it broken in half at? Between the wheel and carrier bearing?

Another tip:
Pop the strut/steering knuckle off at the ball joint so you can get the axle in and out easier.

BTW Jason, I'm not completely sure that my fuel pressure gauge is at Brodie's garage. You may not want to waste a trip to M'boro if it isn't there.

riceboyler
12-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Yep. Actually, it appears to be where the shaft goes into the carrier bearing, but I couldn't see very well, and as I was on the side of 3rd...

I don't think I'll be headed to the Boro tomorrow anyway. :( Thanks for the tip, hopefully this will be relatively painless overall.

GLHS592
12-29-2005, 10:27 PM
I'll have my cell with me tomorrow. Holler if ya need help.

riceboyler
12-29-2005, 10:29 PM
I may do that. You need to see the new house anyway! :D

85shelbycharger
12-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Another tip:
Pop the strut/steering knuckle off at the ball joint so you can get the axle in and out easier.

Plus doing that will keep your front wheel aligned. :thumb:

looneytuner
12-29-2005, 11:52 PM
speaking from experience, you want to check the kframe, motor mount, and the mount where the kframe bolts onto body. My wife was attacked by 6" curb. The mount to body was crushed 3/4" but it saved the front frame from bending.

GLHNSLHT2
12-30-2005, 09:35 PM
seen it happen from an inproperly installed front mount, Sagging pass mounts. worn out bobble struts, misaligned motors. You probably seperated it at the tripod housing. If you've had the axle out of the intermediate shaft before and greased it you can probably get it out again. If not it's a 50/50 chance. Sometimes they'll come out with enough heat and a big enough hammer, sometimes not. Good luck.

BigAl
12-30-2005, 09:49 PM
I would contact the DOT as well. I had a friend that hit a pothole in his Volvo and he sued the city for the cost of the fix and won. Oh and that was in NYC too.