PDA

View Full Version : Missing something

spacejunkie
07-05-2010, 01:07 AM
After a year of owning and driving my 84 Rampage, I was finally able to get it on a lift yesterday. To my dismay, I found that a piece seems to be missing from my transmission. (5 speed, 525) A coverplate? It is open facing the passenger side, right in front of the oil pan. I have had 2 oil changes and a transmission flush done and no one ever mentioned anything about it being missing. I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I would think that it shouldn't be open to the elements. I have'nt had any problems with shifting and running. except that I cannot reverse uphill. reverse is fine on flat and level ground, but I can't back it into my driveway without the engine chugga chugga-ing, feeling like it wants to bounce out of the truck. I hope this expains the problems well enough for some advice. Sorry I don't have a picture to post.
Thanks for your help
Bill in SLC

turbovanmanČ
07-05-2010, 01:40 AM
That's a common item that doesn't get reinstalled for some reason but won't affect why it won't go in reverse. Check your linkage and engine mounts, could be your front mount is worn out and causing something to bind up.

spacejunkie
07-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks Turbovanman, I went ahead and pulled one at the pick and pull. As far as the engine mount, What all is invovled in replacing them? I see a bracket that covers the mount and is attached to the frame by 4 bolts with another bolt going through the mount. Do I need to pull the entire assembly or just the 1 through bolt? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm new to all this, but trying.
Thanks Bill in SLC

turbovanmanČ
07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks Turbovanman, I went ahead and pulled one at the pick and pull. As far as the engine mount, What all is invovled in replacing them? I see a bracket that covers the mount and is attached to the frame by 4 bolts with another bolt going through the mount. Do I need to pull the entire assembly or just the 1 through bolt? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm new to all this, but trying.
Thanks Bill in SLC

The front mount is not that hard to do, you just remove the arm, which is bolted to the block and then held on at the front by 1 long bolt but you will need to remove the bracket which is held on with 2 bolts and 2 nuts or 4 bolts.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/common_failures.html

spacejunkie
07-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks Chief! You rock!:thumb: