PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Exhaust Housing Swap

Subliminal
07-04-2010, 11:08 AM
So, my truck is a 91.5 which started out as an automatic. The exhaust housing on the turbo was a 21CM non-wastegated housing. It's well known in the Cummins community as 'The Lagmaster'.

Basically, after my tranny swap to the 5 speed, 1st gear you just don't use unless you're crawling. 2nd gear is really first, and it would build no boost. 3rd gear is a pretty long gear and it would smoke like crazy until it built boost, which would happen just before I shifted to 4th. 4th gear would built a good amount of boost, but still really smokey on the bottom end, until the boost built.

The truck was so smokey that I was getting a little worried I'd get pulled over. Even tender driving would net a goodly amount of smoke.

So, I started doing some research. There are many options available for the truck...everything from a $2000 set of twin turbos, to a $1000 new turbo, to a $~350 used turbo off a later model truck, to just swapping out the exhaust housing.

Some trucks had 16CM housings which is known to be good with the auto. Some have 18.5, some 14, and all the later trucks are pretty much 12CM with a wastegate. I think that's pretty much the way it is for all the big three turbo diesels these days.

Anyway, I posted a wanted ad and someone shot back that they had a 12CM with no wastegate can...exactly what I wanted. He recommended wiring or welding the wastegate shut.

Well, $60 later I got the housing in the mail. I popped the wastegate cover off and found the flapper had already been welded shut. Sweet.

Well, the job was pretty much a PITA. You know the deal...lots of really tough exhaust bolts, lots of surface rust...hard to get to stuff.

Anwyay, it took me about 5 hrs to do the whole job, but what a difference.

I still don't use 1st.
2nd will grab about 15psi before it's time to shift.
3rd will peg it almost immediately to about 25 psi
4th and 5th are pretty much the same as 3rd.

My off-boost smoke seems pretty much gone...although she'll still blacken the area with the pedal down.

And EGTs didnt seem to climb at all, which is nice.

I'm guessing mileage will suffer a little, for a little while, as I've noticed it's hard to keep my foot out of it now. ;)

Anyway, mods on the truck now are:

3200RPM Governor spring - This raises the fueling from about 2800 rpm to 3200...lets you rev a little higher, but still within an acceptable range for the engine.

Pump mods - Smoke screw turned out to alleviate some off boost smoke, max fuel screw turned in two or three turns (boosts to about 25 PSI, rather than the stock 18...and I think she's still got a little more in her with the stock sticks)

The A518 Automatic tranny was replaced with the Getrag 360 5 speed, and a new clutch was installed

Turbo housing swapped.

Keldermann air bag system on all 4 corners.

10 inch sub, some nice components and an Alpine head unit with iPod input.

Now if I can just get my AC working again, I'll be a happy camper! :)

turbovanmanČ
07-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Where did you post up the wanted ad?

Nice work but-

:needpics1:

Subliminal
07-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Ha...didn't really take any pictures of the swap.

I posted the wanted ad at dieseltruckresource.com, which is a pretty good site...in the turbo diesel world, I'd say it's the closest to this site. :)

Subliminal
07-05-2010, 10:42 AM
I also forgot to add, I advanced the timing a little bit by turning the fuel pump about 1/8th of an inch. This moves the powerband up a little bit, basically. Not quite so much low end torque but a lot more pull up top. Supposed to be good for a few additional MPG, too....but we'll have to see on that one...just did it the other day. :)

turbovanmanČ
07-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Ha...didn't really take any pictures of the swap.

I posted the wanted ad at dieseltruckresource.com, which is a pretty good site...in the turbo diesel world, I'd say it's the closest to this site. :)

Yeah, I am on it, :amen:

ShadowFromHell
07-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Do you have a break down of what trucks have what turbo? I have a 90 auto, all stock. I have a 93 stick turbo in the garage and have been curious if it was better.

Subliminal
07-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, here ya go:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm

Third section down. :)

Looks like they both have 18Cm.

440dart
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
dont wire the wastegate shut either put springs or a wastegate on it with no boost referance, so that way it can open and releive some drive pressure i notice my i gained some topend power once i let it work off of drive pressure instead of wireing it shut. also 25lbs is pretty low maybe upgrade to a he351 off of a 06 and newer i hear its simular to a super hx40 not sure what the diff is between the hx40 and super hx40 but that just what i read on the cumminsforum

Subliminal
07-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for that. The wastegate was already welded shut and for $50 the price was right.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in spending any more money on the truck for a while. Switching it to a 5 speed, making it a little faster, installing a system and recharging the AC. Now it's time for it to pull the boat and get me to work and back for a while. :)

PS - I also backed off the timing advance. I don't do too much on the highway and think I benefit more from the low end torque than the benefits up top provided by the timing bump.

Vigo
07-10-2010, 03:59 PM
You know, i always wondered why some of those trucks seemed alright and some were just HORRRRRRRRRRIBLY slow.. but i never looked into it (never owned one). Now the turbine housing thing explains it!! Im guessing the really terrible ones ive driven had that huge turbine housing!

Glad you got your swap and all done.. a truck very similar to yours (single cab, long bed, 5spd, 4wd, cummins) that was show quality came through a shop i worked at one time and it just bit me.. i couldnt get enough of it. One of my favorite customer cars ive ever driven. Im more and more tempted to get me an old Cummins now!

Subliminal
07-10-2010, 05:46 PM
They're a lot of fun. Ride like a tractor, but fun. :)

440dart
07-13-2010, 11:13 AM
i was told timeing helps more with egts than power but maybe iam wrong

we have an old 90 ctd with 1.3mill+ miles on it and those are not just cruizeing miles it was a towtruck since day 1 and it weighs over 10.5k by itself, origional engine couple headgaskets 1 turbo and valve adjustments thats it and very little oil changes:thumb: and you gotta remember it tows a car/truck atleast one way lol it is the fastest ve pump 12v ive ever been in ive driven some mild turned up pumped ve trucks but nothing runs like this truck does stock maybe cuz the injectors are wore out and it just smokes like crazy ahahaha

Vigo
07-13-2010, 05:30 PM
So.... 10k lbs, flat wore out, no mods, and QUICK? Paint the virgin mary on it and sell it to a rich catholic on ebay for $1,000,000.00!!

Subliminal
07-13-2010, 07:12 PM
i was told timeing helps more with egts than power but maybe iam wrong

Basically, without knowing the technicalities, advancing the timing a little bit moves the power band up a little. Instead of having massive amounts of low end torque, you get a little more out of the top end. It ends up lowering EGTS but increasing pressure in the head...which I think means that the slightly lower EGTs can still cause every bit as much damage.