PDA

View Full Version : Moldy Vinyl Interior

ljbprrfmof
07-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I just pulled my '68 Plymouth convertible out of the garage after an 11 year sitting spell. I bought it when it was 9 years old and will never sell it.

I had a '68 Fury III two door hardtop that I sold in a weak moment a couple months ago when I needed cash. The buyer brought it to my shop for brake lines and other work, and when I saw how solid it was underneath after sitting outside for 20 years, I knew I made a mistake. So my thoughts turned to the one in my garage at home....

My property has a very high water table and even though the garage has a solid concrete floor, the interior developed a good coat of mold on the lower dash and some on the seats and armrests. I noticed this growing about two years ago. The plan is to open the top during the next three days of warm dry sunshine and begin the cleaning process.

Have anyone hear restored an interior that had mold in it? If so, what cleaner did you use? I am concerned with ruining the color of the upholstery.

Mopar318
07-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I just pulled my '68 Plymouth convertible out of the garage after an 11 year sitting spell. I bought it when it was 9 years old and will never sell it.

I had a '68 Fury III two door hardtop that I sold in a weak moment a couple months ago when I needed cash. The buyer brought it to my shop for brake lines and other work, and when I saw how solid it was underneath after sitting outside for 20 years, I knew I made a mistake. So my thoughts turned to the one in my garage at home....

My property has a very high water table and even though the garage has a solid concrete floor, the interior developed a good coat of mold on the lower dash and some on the seats and armrests. I noticed this growing about two years ago. The plan is to open the top during the next three days of warm dry sunshine and begin the cleaning process.

Have anyone hear restored an interior that had mold in it? If so, what cleaner did you use? I am concerned with ruining the color of the upholstery.

Its 40 years old and there really isnt much you can do but reupholster. Almost every interior of that age is rotted and molded. The stiching probally isnt going to hold either. Convertible interiors usually dont last long either. When the top is down there is no UV protection against the interiors so everything breaks down faster.

ljbprrfmof
07-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Found the answer. FYI. I wiped it down with a rag soaked in water. Then after it dried, I wiped it down with white vinegar. Looking Good! I will be dressing it with MeGuirs Leather & Vinyl cleaner and dressing

1966 dart wagon
07-09-2010, 03:14 AM
Good luck, I remember the seats in my wagon were all good, untill you start using them, they started to break down FAST, drivers seat started to tear apart(bench actually) So on went a cheapo seat cover, didnt like it but better then a big tear in the seat!

PICS!:thumb:

ljbprrfmof
07-09-2010, 05:14 PM
:nod:Pics soon!