PDA

View Full Version : Rolled another Harley

3Bar_Mopar
07-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Getting on the interstate and going pretty slow on the on-ramp since the road is pretty rough. The Harley was behind me right on my butt. As soon as I get onto the highway, I merge over and the Harley whips into the other lane and guns it for all it's worth. When he almost next to me I roll into it in 4th and walk him...not hard but enough. I had to be careful with the boost since the clutch slips at anything over 10 or so psi. I was around 3 grand at about 55 mph in 4th and wound it to around 5 grand before letting out and shifting to 5th.

amcpacer
07-03-2010, 12:44 AM
That is awesome! I raced a harley a while back with my Ninja and we both maxed the throttle and my bike went faster and it seemed his harley only got louder.

That sounds like fun. Imagine how it would have been if your clutch was not slipping!

3Bar_Mopar
07-03-2010, 03:08 AM
That is awesome! I raced a harley a while back with my Ninja and we both maxed the throttle and my bike went faster and it seemed his harley only got louder.

That sounds like fun. Imagine how it would have been if your clutch was not slipping!

Probably spin, lol

I'm pretty sure I rolled like a mid 15 second bike...plus the guy riding was a fat guy :lol:

Dusty_Duster
07-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Most Harley owners don't know ---- about performance. They just put loud pipes on their hogs, which only serves to make the bike sound even crappier. They think they're fast, but they're not.

I have a friend, however, who just finished a total rebuild on his Harley. He bored and stroked the engine, port and polished the head, installed cams and oversized valves, did intake and carb work. Holy crap, that thing is fast. It doesn't sound like a typical Harley, either. :thumb:

3Bar_Mopar
07-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Most Harley owners don't know ---- about performance. They just put loud pipes on their hogs, which only serves to make the bike sound even crappier. They think they're fast, but they're not.

I have a friend, however, who just finished a total rebuild on his Harley. He bored and stroked the engine, port and polished the head, installed cams and oversized valves, did intake and carb work. Holy crap, that thing is fast. It doesn't sound like a typical Harley, either. :thumb:

Nice! :thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
07-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah Harleys are generally loud, slow turds. Usually sound like azz too. I hate them :(

thefitisgay
07-03-2010, 08:15 PM
you build a harley right and it will rev like a jap bike

T-Bohn
07-03-2010, 10:14 PM

your kidding right?

the fire order of harleys is all wrong....redline at I think 9 grand and that for the injected water cooled motor

My cbr back in the old days ( read 1992 ) redlined at 13. new stuff add another 3 k to that.

harleys make torque not revs...

thefitisgay
07-04-2010, 12:28 PM
i dont mean redline i mean instantaneous revs

karlak
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Pro Stock bikes use to be my favorite class of drag racing untill they changed the rules to allow Harley to dominate.

T-Bohn
07-04-2010, 08:35 PM
they really can make some big power and some major torque as well. I just never think of them in terms of sporty if you know what I mean.

thefitisgay
07-04-2010, 09:27 PM
they really can make some big power and some major torque as well. I just never think of them in terms of sporty if you know what I mean.

cuz everyone who works on them are damn retards

89csx10
07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Ha! Hardly Dangerous.

86seeS
07-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Getting on the interstate and going pretty slow on the on-ramp since the road is pretty rough. The Harley was behind me right on my butt. As soon as I get onto the highway, I merge over and the Harley whips into the other lane and guns it for all it's worth. When he almost next to me I roll into it in 4th and walk him...not hard but enough. I had to be careful with the boost since the clutch slips at anything over 10 or so psi. I was around 3 grand at about 55 mph in 4th and wound it to around 5 grand before letting out and shifting to 5th.

was that on 465? i pulled on a harley on 465 a few weeks ago late one night but got pulled over by it hahahaha damn bike cops

Spraynlog
07-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Beating Harleys .....hilarious!:thumb:

rampant150
07-05-2010, 04:22 PM
More people who hate Harleys? I love this site!:love:

Directconnection
07-05-2010, 04:23 PM

Never.... not true.

I port twin cam harley heads, and even though they flow decently and are a decent design, most will be pigs with moderate modification.

It takes crazy amounts of effort to make one on par with a stock rice rocket.

I am unsure of how hard the harley in the OP thread here... was really trying? The car was at 10psi.... Harleys are faster than mid 15s stock, I will say that much. (14s and 13s)

thefitisgay
07-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Never.... not true.

I port twin cam harley heads, and even though they flow decently and are a decent design, most will be pigs with moderate modification.

I am unsure of how hard the harley in the OP thread here... was really trying? The car was at 10psi.... Harleys are faster than mid 15s stock, I will say that much. (14s and 13s)

im not even talking about the new junk :p

Vigo
07-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Wooo Harley Hatin'! Im SO in on this thread :D

firehawk618
07-06-2010, 12:55 AM
A few years ago I had a 04 1200 XLR, ran it bone stock and it pulled a 13.8 I know this is slow for a bike but just throwin out there what that one could do.

firehawk618
07-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Oh yeah my 2 cents. I don't hate any specific make of bike. I do hate a specific make of rider though.

thefitisgay
07-06-2010, 01:18 AM
i hate harley lol

Spraynlog
07-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I went to the Bonneville Salt Flats in '08 to see the 'World of Speed' event. It was one of the coolest car events I've been to. One of the downsides was a bunch of Harley riders at the KOA we were at....they would get up at 5-6am and rev their bikes leaving the place.:mad: It was like they couldn't even walk 200 feet to the showers, they'd have to ride the Harley down there, and leave it in front of the door!:rolleyes: Then, out at the flats, they would endlessly ride back and forth, with the loud blatting exhaust, and drown out the announcer while the times and car info was being broadcast. A boorish bunch of cretins overall.:yuck: A living example of the joke about the Harley VS. the Hoover....the Harley has the dirt bag on the outside!:nod:

3Bar_Mopar
07-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Never.... not true.

I dunno...sounded like he was trying to me...I could hear the change in his exhaust and his was drowning out my car by a long shot. My car rolls decently hard on the highway, even on 10 pounds.

Directconnection
07-06-2010, 08:24 PM
A few years ago I had a 04 1200 XLR, ran it bone stock and it pulled a 13.8 I know this is slow for a bike but just throwin out there what that one could do.

I believe it. Like you say, not bad for an et, but not really good for a bike, especially with that cubes.

I have a good friend that does LOTS of bike work on the side. His wife drives a worked over Harley on alcohol, and the whp works out to only like 145whp (high 5s in the 1/8th mile) Now, he has a Screamin' Eagle bike with a turbo from a toyota pickup, and an intercooler from a dsm. He has a fueling issue above 4,500 rpms, but it makes 115whp. Pretty nice #s for what it is, but still faraway from a stock rice rocket.

I wish HD would get off their high horse and make an inline 4 with todays technology to compete against these bikes. Back in the old days, they did some decent things...

firehawk618
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
LOL this thread is funny.

I understand the POV of some on here, but to brand people soley on the choice of bike they ride is just dumb.

If you poke around i'm sure there's people who hate TD people cuz they're cheapscates, the cars sound like old tractors, they think their 2.2/2.5's make lots of power and wonder why they don't just build up a jap 4 cyl cuz they make more power for = mods......

Just pointing it out.........

IMO a v-twin with the right exhaust sounds sweet!

thefitisgay
07-07-2010, 02:40 AM
Back in the old days, they did some decent things...

decent bs dude... they had roller lifters since the late 30s i believe

check out the xr motors.... see harley can do crazy ---- when they want to... thats why i dont like them their production stuff is garbage but when they do it they do it right like the factory ported heads that gave like 15 hp... back in i think the 60s... probably a bs number but still a blueprinted harley screams

karlak
07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Must ............ resist............ Harley Bashing........... :evil:

dwh4784
07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Harleys can be damn nice looking bikes, but the price and under-performance are major issues for me. I paid $500 for my bike(1983 Honda VT500 Shadow), restored it for another $700 or so and people at work still tell me it's the best looking one out there even sitting next to $12,000+ Harleys. And I wouldn't be surprised if it would romp all over quite a few of them even way down on displacement.

rampant150
07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Must ............ resist............ Harley Bashing........... :evil:

Why ?

86seeS
07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
let it out! id like to have one of those new can-am bikes there sick

Vigo
07-08-2010, 12:42 PM
LOL this thread is funny.

I understand the POV of some on here, but to brand people soley on the choice of bike they ride is just dumb.

If you poke around i'm sure there's people who hate TD people cuz they're cheapscates, the cars sound like old tractors, they think their 2.2/2.5's make lots of power and wonder why they don't just build up a jap 4 cyl cuz they make more power for = mods......

Just pointing it out.........

MAD BURN! :lol: All true..

I hate Harleys really for only one reason: The OBNOXIOUS NOISE. Im not against all loud noises, dont get me wrong, but im against noises that both a: sound bad, and b: drown out everything else when the bike is only accelerating vaguely hard (or is it all the way?). Basically, when i see a harley accelerate by me, i see NOTHING cool enough to justify how much noise it puts out. I dont care what noise a 9 second supra puts out, could be whatever it wants because its cool. But the noise-to-cool ratio on a harley is way out of whack.

3Bar_Mopar
07-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKMLZXA8LJY

Dusty_Duster
07-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKMLZXA8LJY

That is brilliant!

Spraynlog
07-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKMLZXA8LJYWow, somebody made a cartoon about my Bonneville trip!:p

karlak
07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
My dislike is with Harley as a company. Beyond the overpriced under performing pos they are. Started with the goverment bailout and subsequent tariffs placed on import bikes to make Harley more competitive. Then when Harley became popular and they had backorders for weeks it was the take it or leave it attitude the dealers had toward their customers. For a company that was almost gone they treated customers like crap. Then their habit of ( if you cant beat them on the track.......... change the rules.) Does anyone remember when Harley got their butt kicked on their own holy grail of racing... Flat Track. You know the flat dirt track they love to slide around sideways on. I do not recall the Jap company but one company enterd the series and kicked Harleys butt. The solution............ change the rules so no Jap twin qualified. Their latest is prostock bike. They get weight and cubic inch breaks the imports do not. This has allowed them to just about dominate the class. I have been tickled to see the price of used Harleys plumet the last couple of years.

thefitisgay
07-09-2010, 11:40 PM
idk dude xr's were hard to beat on the dirt track... actually unbeatable but i could be thinking ancient times tho like when they first came out

Twisted Noodle
07-10-2010, 12:50 AM
I ride a Harley and it's loud. All jokes aside, if you compare a Harley to any jap bike you will see a huge difference in quality of materials. Jap bikes are made to be affordable so they will sell over here. On my bike the only things that are plastic are the switches and the speedo. Not everyone likes Harley's obviously. As for longevity, jap bikes will be long gone before any Harley-Davidson. I enjoy my Harley and everything that comes with it. When you buy a Harley you buy into a Family. Such as a HOG membership which is similar to AAA (CAA in Canuckville). You can't go anywhere without seeing something Harley Davidson. Every MC parts catalog will carry something for Harley. Even old Harleys are still cool IMHO. Harley does have the technology to compete with the jap bikes, but why? They are popular now staying in classic form.. That's what Harley owners want. If you don't like Harleys, then buy another bike. Harley engines can make a lot of TQ but their heavy. Most are made for comfort, balance and making long trips without constant stopping to stretch. Sure they are stepping outside that box with the V-Rod and the New XR's But the majority are still the same. Even though their value is dropping, they still hold it longer than any jap bike.

- dwh4784 your 83 500 Shadow probably couldn't beat too much out there. I had a 650 Savage single cylinder that would walk all over a friends 750 Shadow. My lil Sportster is faster than my Savage. I have owned Honda, Suzuki even a triumph and none of them rode nicer than my Harley.. None were faster than my Honda Magna VF750c.. but that is a different breed.

It;s like anything else you either love em or you hate em. I have a ricer friend that thought my Dodge was a POS. Until I gave him a ride in it.. Now it's a POS thats kinda quick.

That was a good video though..

thefitisgay
07-10-2010, 02:17 AM
you do know that harleys arent made here..... right?

"At the same time, if it hadn’t been for the 1970 launch of the 90 horsepower XR750 for Flat track racing we would not have seen the XR 1200" and that was with a carb not fuel injection

new harleys are junk .

sourceL: http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/o1_829_Road-Test--2008-Harley-Davidson-XR-1200-launch---Harley-s-proposal-to-Europe-.html

karlak
07-10-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=43&article_id=315
Here is a article about the rules the AMA used. It is written in defense of Harley but it caused Honda and Yamaha to withdraw from the series.

thefitisgay
07-10-2010, 01:17 PM
when were the rules written?

karlak
07-10-2010, 01:20 PM
cant say............ I just remember the issued came up when I was much younger.

Vigo
07-10-2010, 01:44 PM
All good points Karlak.

glhs231
07-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I have a 2009 Road King Classic. It's Pewter Pearl not black. It's not loud. I don't smoke, drink, have tattoos, long hair or long beard. I don't have a beer belly. I have a wife of 27 years not an "old lady". I don't think my bike is fast. I think it is comfortable. I use punctuation and capital letters when I post. I have all my teeth. I don't own every piece of clothing that say Harley on it. Yet some of you hate me because I ride a Harley. I bought my car new in December of 1986 before a lot of you were born and kept it stock and unrestored all these years. Yet, some of you hate me because of the bike I ride? Real classy. I won't post in this thread again because it would not change some people's minds. Thanks for stereotyping all of the Harley riders into one group. Im glad I have an open mind when it comes to judging people on what they drive or ride. I think this site has a wealth of good information and there are a lot of great people on here. It's too bad there a a few who think they can bash whoever they want because they are sitting behind a keyboard. I ride with some of those guys who have the loud pipes. They are annoying to me too but most people do not watch for bikes. More than a few times a car has cut over when I was next to it. A little louder pipes and they might have noticed me. Have a nice day and I hope this helps to open a few minds up a little.

firehawk618
07-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't smoke, drink, have tattoos, long hair or long beard. I don't have a beer belly. I have a wife of 27 years not an "old lady". I don't think my bike is fast. I think it is comfortable. I use punctuation and capital letters when I post. I have all my teeth. I don't own every piece of clothing that say Harley on it. Yet some of you hate me because I ride a Harley.

That's what I hate, people who hate a stereotype that isn't even true.

firehawk618
07-10-2010, 08:14 PM
I hate Honda cars because one time I had this kid who lived at the end of my road. They used to steal cars, mostly hondas. They'd steal parts and make their honda louder and faster. Their muffler was so loud my glass would rattle when they drove by. They'd do burnouts up and down the block and speed too. God I hate honda drivers.

LOL sounds pretty dumb now doesn't it.

Directconnection
07-10-2010, 09:18 PM
God I hate honda drivers. LOL sounds pretty dumb now doesn't it.

Yeah, pretty much after you had just written this:

That's what I hate, people who hate a stereotype that isn't even true.

FWIW people: a stereotype doesn't mean it has to be 100% true. Not even majority rules at 51% Think of it this way: what if we saw a pattern that if ONLY 7% of all NASCAR watching fans were pedophiles? 7% is not much, but that's an awful lot of coincidence to be treated fairly. So, with that said.... I think it is safe to say that it's much more than 7% of all Harley driver's are fat, tatooed, leather-wearing, 'ole lady ownin' gun touting pigs, right? That to me is a stereotype that holds water then :thumb:

Heck... I have some white friends that I believe have small penises, but not me! Another true stereotype :D

Vigo
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
You believe or you KNOW?!?!?!:lol: Im cool either way..

glhs231, if you rode by me and your bike didnt go BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH so loudly that i cringe or make a face, i wouldnt hate on you individually! In fact, i wouldnt even notice you. Perfect, right?

I also dislike when a sportbike goes by you so fast that you dont hear anything until its right next to you, and then its like a gun going off cuz its on you so fast!! But see, in those cases, since the thing is gone in like 1.3 seconds because its going 150 mph, im not too upset, im impressed, maybe a little jealous, because some attribute of that machine JUSTIFIES the noise.

3Bar_Mopar
07-11-2010, 01:57 AM
I have a 2009 Road King Classic. It's Pewter Pearl not black. It's not loud. I don't smoke, drink, have tattoos, long hair or long beard. I don't have a beer belly. I have a wife of 27 years not an "old lady". I don't think my bike is fast. I think it is comfortable. I use punctuation and capital letters when I post. I have all my teeth. I don't own every piece of clothing that say Harley on it. Yet some of you hate me because I ride a Harley.

If you have an do all the above, then the vitriol is not aimed at you. I don't think anyone hates you for driving a Harley, so I don't know how you can assume that...from what I've read, some people hate the bikes themselves or they hate when some Harley riders are loud and annoying. Your hatred of generalizations and then use of one in the same paragraph is funny though, lol.

3Bar_Mopar
07-11-2010, 01:58 AM
yeah, pretty much after you had just written this:

whoosh!

thefitisgay
07-11-2010, 04:14 AM
cant say............ I just remember the issued came up when I was much younger.

idk about the rules but xrs started dominating the track when they went from hard tail to full suspension cuz then they started to handle

thefitisgay
07-11-2010, 04:17 AM
More than a few times a car has cut over when I was next to it. A little louder pipes and they might have noticed me.

ha dude only time someone didnt pull out in front of me is when im riding like a maniac and even tho i run mufflers its ----in loud

Twisted Noodle
07-11-2010, 11:38 AM
you do know that harleys arent made here..... right?
They were doing a good job of it when I toured the plant.. True not ALL the parts are made here. But I saw the facilities with my own eyes.

"At the same time, if it hadn’t been for the 1970 launch of the 90 horsepower XR750 for Flat track racing we would not have seen the XR 1200" and that was with a carb not fuel injection
oh yeah?? :confused: I personally don't like the new XR's. I like the old ones. but I like the fuel injection better.

new harleys are junk. everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think the same about the import cruisers. You know the ones, the ones that try to imitate Harley-Davidson.. Which is every Jap bike company.

thefitisgay
07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
They were doing a good job of it when I toured the plant.. True not ALL the parts are made here. But I saw the facilities with my own eyes.

everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think the same about the import cruisers. You know the ones, the ones that try to imitate Harley-Davidson.. Which is every Jap bike company.

dude almost every part isnt made here made here and assembled here are 2 different things

same with that crying eagle crap all foreighn made lol i remember my friends dad bolting more chrome garbage on his brand new full dresser a crying eagle air filter cover he tightened it too much and it cracked cuz it was made out of plastic i think he paid like 80 bucks for it? butt hen again the retards the same one that goes "when you have something like that you HAVE to spend money on it" thats the another thing i hate about harleys they are ricer chrome dont get ya home retard.... i dont put any money into my bike i change my oil every about 1000 miles and latley have been wiping out bulbs thats it when i need bearings i dont go to a bike shop and pay 12 bucks a bearing for the jap ones i get the numbers off them and go to the bearing supply place and get the same one for 3 which leads me to my next point you only pay for the name

and yeah i think the jap bikes are queer too lol

i think the only other thing you can go with is tirumph but i think they are more expensive than harley

ps the old xr is probably faster no matter what cuz even decked out in street legal crap it would still be lighter ---- my bike is probably lighter

Vigo
07-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Thinking you need to be loud for people to notice you and not run into you is the same as a man of small height thinking he needs to act tough and be loud and rude for people to respect him.. and obviously not all such people feel that way, and the rest of us appreciate it.

On a bike, you have a choice.. try pointlessly to compensate for its lethal lack of safety (which simply cant be done), accept that you've made an extremely dangerous choice, or drive a car. Ill be the first to admit that when a guy on a bike tries to act tough and pull some stupid ---- on me, i put the fear of death into that person WITH MY CAR. Im not ashamed to do that, because i DO honestly believe you shouldnt go looking for trouble and expect to get a pass because you're on a bike/small/a woman/ etc. :D

thefitisgay
07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
i dont do stupid ---- i just go right around people.... i dont see the point to hit the brakes becuase people feel the need to dart out in front of me and then let the car idle up to whatever the speed limit is i think its funny when they have a hissy fit when i go around them like im supposed to wait cuz they are better than me

Vigo
07-11-2010, 02:42 PM
i agree with that, i do the same thing in cars.

Twisted Noodle
07-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Well, I have to say when I ride I know I am 100% invisible to other traffic. I always make sure I make eye contact with people in side streets and intersections. Once I took the baffles off I did get noticed more. People do stop at intersections and take a second look. If I am in a blind spot People know I'm there because my bike is loud. I have lived it so I won't believe anything else.
I ride a Harley because I want to. Not just because I think it's cool. I only have a sporster 883 and it isn't the "run of the mill, ride what everyone else has" like and Iron or a nightster. It is your classic looking XL883 Custom. Its Sunglo red and I don't have a day where I don't get compliments on it. I ride it every day rain or shine 52 miles to work and 52 miles home. It gets good gas mileage and only cost 6 bucks to fill the tank.
Would I ever own a rice bike? Of course I have in the past. As far as the Shadows and other run of the mill touring bike the japs have to offer.. No because I don't like them. The suzuki Boulavard? yes. the Mean streak? yes. A crotch rocket? yes If I could lower it enough so I could touch the ground.
It is true that Harleys are expensive to maintain. BUT you do not need to but Harley Oil, You do not need to buy Harley parts. As with most bikes, there are a lot of companies that manufacture parts that are less expensive than Harley parts. You don't even need to get the service maintenance done by Harley. First 1000 miles is 350 bucks.. I did mine myself for the price of oil and a filter. Keeping record of it and my receipts. I bought mine with a transferable warranty and it stays with me bike after bike.
I love my Harley and wouldn't trade it for any other bike.. Except another Harley.

- Thefitisgay.. You keep bringing up the old XR's It's true I like the fuel injection better but if I had a chance to get an old XR I would trade one of my kids for one.. I almost bought an older sportster and built an old XR out of it.

thefitisgay
07-12-2010, 02:42 AM
you can buy xr kit motors in i think v twin only problem is that the mag goes where we stick the generator so lights would be trickey and i cant stand people.... they are either suckin my --- over my bike or telling me what it needs when they dont own one i love when their jaws drop when i say its a 65 tho LOL

ps dont cut your front fender cuz you might as well take it off then

dwh4784
07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
- dwh4784 your 83 500 Shadow probably couldn't beat too much out there. I had a 650 Savage single cylinder that would walk all over a friends 750 Shadow. My lil Sportster is faster than my Savage. I have owned Honda, Suzuki even a triumph and none of them rode nicer than my Harley.. None were faster than my Honda Magna VF750c.. but that is a different breed.

You'd be surprised me thinks. The older Honda twins made noticeably more power than the later ones. On the Shadow forums it's funny seeing people complain after "upgrading" to a 750 or 1100 and wondering why it's slower than their old 500 or 700 80's bikes. It would be great fun to smack it to an 883 bike but Harley guys don't want to race unless they have some 1500cc stroked out monster.

karlak
07-13-2010, 07:03 AM
The facts presented by the more effective Harley-Davidson legal counsel won the day. After three weeks of very costly deliberation, Japan was found guilty of dumping a glut of motorcycles on the American market. The penalty? Initially a tariff of 45 percent was added to the current 4.5 percent for bikes over 700cc for all of the Big Four, the additional amount reduced incrementally during the following production years.

The Brits and Europeans were not subject to these increases. However, Hondas and Kawasakis built in the United States were exempted. But it was enough; Reaganomics saved the day for Harley and probably the future as well. The president signed the order, and it went into effect on April 15, 1983. An interesting side note was the Japanese consortium offering in March of a $200,000,000 loan and "technical advice." We don't think so, said Harley-Davidson.

Vigo
07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
How can you be found guilty of offering a lot of products to the free market? Reaganomics=Protectionism=UNfree Market? Not what many Reagan fans would tell you! :p

Directconnection
07-14-2010, 12:41 AM
I know of someone that has about a dozen of those XR's. BRAND NEW and never sold!

The owner of the old Schott's in Lewiston (George Schott and his brother, John) owned supposedly the oldest Harley dealership in the country back into the 80's, when they split up and George moved the biz about a mile away to a new location. Story goes: they had them saved in their original shipping crates all those years, and then assembled them together many years later. The "new" biz burned down about 10 years ago with MANY rare race and vintage Harleys, but fortunately, every XR happened to be in a different location. It used to be quite the store with a 2nd floor dedicated to his collection, including carousel horses and Japanese former race bikes (he was also a big Honda dealer for years)

Sold the newest delearship a few years ago, and has a fetish for collecting old army tanks and trucks. Has like 100's of them. He also bought out the former Harley road race team's engines and test equipment. Supposedly has a Harley only Spintron.

Vigo
07-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Uh, that guy sounds awesome!