PDA

View Full Version : Who won Top Gun? Autocross?

168glhs1986
07-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Wasn't able to attend the awards on Wednesday night. Does anyone have the results of Top Gun and from the Autocross?

dodgeshadowchik
07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
DJ snagged the Top Gun honors with that fantastically awesome Shadow of his. I'm not 100% positive how actually got the fastest time at the autox.

Dusty_Duster
07-02-2010, 05:16 PM
DJ snagged the Top Gun honors with that fantastically awesome Shadow of his. I'm not 100% positive how actually got the fastest time at the autox.

Good. I voted for him at the car show. :thumb:

He didn't need to get the fastest time at the autocross; he merely needed to get a faster time than all the other Top Gun competitors.

Turbo3Iroc
07-02-2010, 05:30 PM
His time of 31.7x was one of the fastest all day. On street tires no less. Barry Miles had FTD, he was also in the TG competition.

168glhs1986
07-02-2010, 05:57 PM

Great car indeed and worthy of the Top Gun Award. It was nice seeing it in person:thumb:

sdac guy
07-02-2010, 08:19 PM
The way the points were totaled for the TG competition, doing great in one event didn't assure a good TG placement. Having respectable times or scores in all the events was necessary.

DJ won his class at the car show, but only scored a mediocre TG vote there. While he was very quick at the autocross, he was not all that quick among the TG competitors at the drags.

But not being the lowest at any of the events, made DJ a Top Gun with the highest total score.

And for example, Bill Baker and James Reeves were the highest scoring at both the car show and drags, but their autocross scores were too weak to get either of them the TG lead overall.

A very complex scoring formula which was taken from the Grassroots Challenge was used to score the TG competition. The reason for using it was that it fairly weights all the events and gives a fair score among all competitors compared to each other (sort of like a class curve).

I am not sure we will use this formula in the future as I cannot even describe it. I didn't do the TG scoring, our event coordinators did. I have another method in mind and will apply it to this year's numbers and see if my way provides the same results.

Barry

168glhs1986
07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
The way the points were totaled for the TG competition, doing great in one event didn't assure a good TG placement. Having respectable times or scores in all the events was necessary.

DJ won his class at the car show, but only scored a mediocre TG vote there. While he was very quick at the autocross, he was not all that quick among the TG competitors at the drags.

But not being the lowest at any of the events, made DJ a Top Gun with the highest total score.

And for example, Bill Baker and James Reeves were the highest scoring at both the car show and drags, but their autocross scores were too weak to get either of them the TG lead overall.

A very complex scoring formula which was taken from the Grassroots Challenge was used to score the TG competition. The reason for using it was that it fairly weights all the events and gives a fair score among all competitors compared to each other (sort of like a class curve).

I am not sure we will use this formula in the future as I cannot even describe it. I didn't do the TG scoring, our event coordinators did. I have another method in mind and will apply it to this year's numbers and see if my way provides the same results.

Barry

Makes sense. Props goes to Reeves for autocrossing! And I think Bill would go anywhere and compete in anything with his Rampage. That's no garage queen but it sure does look like it.

92spiritrt
07-02-2010, 08:40 PM
he definately deserved to win that honor. the engineering on that car is amazing. this was the first time i saw this car in person and i wasn't at all disappointed.

Johnny
07-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Wonder where the autocross/SDAC is next year....

glhs727
07-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Wonder where the autocross/SDAC is next year....

i heard it is going to be in Coos Bay......:)

DodgeZ
07-02-2010, 11:54 PM
The brunt CSX came in 2nd for the Top Gun.

DodgeZ
07-02-2010, 11:54 PM
2nd from last place that is.

30 PSI SHADOW
07-03-2010, 12:19 AM
I got beat by DJ by a half point. (hands clapping!) His auto X time propelled him to the top from 5th.
the top 4 competitors were within 4 points. From my faded brain, i had 183.33 and DJ ended up with 183.83! Half a point! CLOSE!

Hats off for DJ installing his rear polybushings rear bar at 2am!! as i watched with humor. Wont do that again! You are a "spirit of SDAC" winner!!

ShadowFromHell
07-03-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm all for it being in coos bay.. like thats gonna happen! lol.

Directconnection
07-03-2010, 03:34 PM
i heard it is going to be in Coos Bay......:)

Awesome! We have a Coos Canyon here in Maine. hehehe

BadAssPerformance
07-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Congrats to DJ and ALL who entered Top Gun!

I really gotta hand it to DJ tho, DRIVING his car longer distance to the event than anyone and acheving the TG prize... simply amazing! :hail:

turboshad
07-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys. I would have taken losing to any of the top gun field, especially the top 4. They are all true examples of what a TD can be with some time and effort. :hail:

I had 4 goals coming down with TG being one of them so I was very happy to squeeze it out of bills trophy cabinet even if it was only by half a point. The close ones are always the funnest. :nod:

I knew the car show points would be hard with all the nice cars and mine being a p-body so that was no suprise. I was dissapointed with my drag times being a good .4 off where I expected them to be with my mph. I could try blaming it on the track but really it comes down to my inexperience and inability to adapt quickly to the conditions. With a couple hours to think about it on the way home I feel like I came away with some good lessons in how to adapt. Conversely I was quite shocked with my autocross run which was my saving grace.

Big thanks to Johnny for getting the sway bar to Chicago and to JT for delivering it to me. It made a huge difference with the car now feeling like I always wanted it to :thumb: Also a big thanks to Cindy for overnighting some spacers to the hotel so I could fit the the slicks on for the drag racing.

After driving the hell out of it, she faught me a bit on the drive home but I made it in yesterday afternoon with enough meat on the front bumper to feel a small family of four.......but I'll save those details for another thread. :D

Reeves
07-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Congrats to DJ and ALL who entered Top Gun!

I really gotta hand it to DJ tho, DRIVING his car longer distance to the event than anyone and acheving the TG prize... simply amazing! :hail:

:hail::hail: :thumb: :love:

I was dissapointed with my drag times being a good .4 off where I expected them to be with my mph.

I think most everyone's times were off .4 to .5. People can correct me if I'm wrong. I know I was.

I blame it on track, heat, and humidity :thumb:
Couldn't be me or the car :p:yuck:

contraption22
07-12-2010, 04:16 PM
:hail::hail: :thumb: :love:

I think most everyone's times were off .4 to .5. People can correct me if I'm wrong. I know I was.

I blame it on track, heat, and humidity :thumb:
Couldn't be me or the car :p:yuck:

Yup, I was off by a 1/2 second and a 5-6mph compared to my last trip to Cecil.