PDA

View Full Version : Re-Keying ignition?

Lee'sdaytona
06-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Hey everyone!
I just picked up a turbo mini. There is one key for all the doors and a different one for the ignition (and no, not that circular key for the doors, another ignition type key). Does anyone know if I brought the ignition switch to a lock smith, could they key that ignition to the door key? I know this is done with Kwickset and other household locks......anyone know?
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
06-14-2006, 12:12 AM
I believe they can't rekey the ignition lock but you can rekey the door locks.

inmyshadow
06-14-2006, 06:15 AM
Our you could do what I did. I went to the junkyard. Found a same body style car of in my car's year. I pulled all the locks.

Then I went to chrysler, had them make a few keys using the ignition lock.

After all that, I went through and installed all the new locks.

turbovanmanČ
06-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Then I went to chrysler, had them make a few keys using the ignition lock.

Or a locksmith, the dealer is way more money, :(

inmyshadow
06-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Not this time. Dealer made me 4 keys for free. He had tons of left over blanks to give out.

Or a locksmith, the dealer is way more money, :(

Lee'sdaytona
06-14-2006, 09:01 PM
The junkyard idea is a good one. I'm weird about keys. I have this thing were I have to have the origional key with the black rubber and chrysler star...stupid as it sounds, i can't stand the knock-off keys. :rolleyes:
-Lee

87ShelbyJT
06-15-2006, 01:05 PM
The junkyard idea is a good one. I'm weird about keys. I have this thing were I have to have the origional key with the black rubber and chrysler star...stupid as it sounds, i can't stand the knock-off keys. :rolleyes:
-Lee
I have to agree

Lee'sdaytona
06-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know if the ignition from my 87 daytona would work in my 89 caravan? the only difference to me seems to be the lock...you know that tab you have to press down to release the key....could that work in my caravan without that locking mechinism? It would be great if I could, this way, I have all my factory keys, than I could just have the caravan doors re-keyed to my daytona's key
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
06-18-2006, 04:37 PM
It might but its not the lock mechanism thats the issue. I will check my parts book at work tomorrow, send me a PM to remind me.

rare_ram
06-18-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm weird about keys. I have this thing were I have to have the origional key with the black rubber and chrysler star...stupid as it sounds, i can't stand the knock-off keys. :rolleyes:
-Lee
You're not alone. 1st thing I do if a car I get has cheapo keys is go to the dealer for real ones.

turbo xtc
06-30-2006, 06:25 AM
Does anyone know if the ignition from my 87 daytona would work in my 89 caravan? the only difference to me seems to be the lock...you know that tab you have to press down to release the key....could that work in my caravan without that locking mechinism? It would be great if I could, this way, I have all my factory keys, than I could just have the caravan doors re-keyed to my daytona's key
-Lee
my laser has a ignition lock out of a 1989 daytona but the lock cyl i had to take the tumblers out and change them because my laser has the lighted key locks the cyl are smaller so i pulled the cover off the tops of them and changed them the daytona had air bags and i was in question about that but they both had the lever lock and they interchanged with out a problem i lost all my keys to all four cars while i was bike riding that sucked

magtec
06-30-2006, 08:52 AM
that's what spares are for.

when i get a car, i take the best/original key and use it to make duplicates. then i store that key and use the duplicates.

Lee'sdaytona
06-30-2006, 08:19 PM
yeah well what it looks like I'm gonna do is just keep the original ignition lock and key, than have the door locks matched/rekeyed to that pattern, than have the dealer make factory keys. Should I take the door lock cylinders to just a good lock smith or is the dealer better/worse?
thanks,
Lee

Lee'sdaytona
07-05-2006, 10:20 PM
So Can anyone tell me if the 87 Daytona ignition will fit and work in the 89 Caravan?
thanks,
Lee

Lee'sdaytona
07-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Went to a locksmith today to ask about re keying all the door locks to match the ignition key: $22 per cylinder! (with me removing the locks myself) I don't know if thats good or not, but I'm gonna ask the dealer if they do that...Probably won't be cheaper if they even do it, but maybe i'll get a few free keys out of it :)
-Lee

gkcooper
07-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Have you guys ever had any of this stuff apart and seen just how simple it is? The tumblers are just small metal blocks with springs behind them. They are very simple to work with. Probably one of the lowest-tech items on our cars, especially the door lock cylinders. I buy my own key blanks and cut 'em myself. The last one I did for my Dodge truck took me about a half an hour to do, and I have a factory original new key. I bought the blank off ebay for $.99 plus $.89 shipping. There are some very small springs and parts but if you take your time it is easy.

Greg K. Cooper
Huntsville, Alabama

Lee'sdaytona
07-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Have you guys ever had any of this stuff apart and seen just how simple it is? The tumblers are just small metal blocks with springs behind them. They are very simple to work with. Probably one of the lowest-tech items on our cars, especially the door lock cylinders. I buy my own key blanks and cut 'em myself. The last one I did for my Dodge truck took me about a half an hour to do, and I have a factory original new key. I bought the blank off ebay for $.99 plus $.89 shipping. There are some very small springs and parts but if you take your time it is easy.

Greg K. Cooper
Huntsville, Alabama
you've RE-KEYED your lock cylinders or just made keys for them?
-Lee

gkcooper
07-18-2006, 06:11 PM
both re-key and cut new keys