PDA

View Full Version : Ok, finally done, and then redone...and she feels GOOD!

Subliminal
07-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Man...So, you may or may not have seen my previous thread about my swap from the auto 518 to the manual Getrag 360.

I initially got it back together, but I had a shudder in the drivetrain and was missing the alignment screws, so just used some bolts I found.

Well, today I got up early, took the whole thing back apart, took the pressure plate and flywheel to Phoenix Friction Products and they threw them on the machine, balanced them and told me where they had any balance issues, so I could offset the two pieces.

Spent the entire afternoon putting it back together, with the help of several neighbors (one helped me push the tranny to the bellhousing, which is a pain in the nuts, and one helped me get the shifter back in...also a pain in the nuts).

My alignment bolts actually came from zbag.com today, so those went in as well.

Man, she purrs like a kitten...sort of...lol. But she shifts smoother, goes into gears like a dream, and just all over feels great!

I also met a guy from craigslist and bought 2 cans of R12...gotta figure out how to get that into my system...as it's terribly hot sometimes.

Anyway...to coin a phrase...I'm as pleased as punch! Two months to do it the first time...one day the second time. Durp!

black86glhs
07-02-2010, 01:22 AM
I have a set of R-12 gauges. Come on over and I'll add them for ya. :thumb::p

Subliminal
07-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Ha...thanks...that's helpful. ;)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_pjO6j2IMXk8/TC4P8p-HlTI/AAAAAAAAJKk/P3t0pYPFTQ4/IMG_6805.JPG
...and I'm ready to roll out!

black86glhs
07-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Just tell everyone that your going on an extended test drive.:thumb: Seriously, someone should still have an old set of gauges somewhere.

Vigo
07-10-2010, 03:54 PM
I have gauges too.. but the hard thing to find anymore is an old r12 can tap.

Glad you got it back together. That shifter really can be annoying!

turbovanmanČ
07-10-2010, 04:10 PM
but the hard thing to find anymore is an old r12 can tap.

Pretty sure I have one, but your too far away.

Subliminal
07-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Cost me $11 on ebay, shipped. Not too shabby! :)

chryguy
02-10-2011, 01:17 AM
Ahhhh,

Just use straight propane in the r12 systems. I've been doing it for years...ever since the WAY old school mechanic I knew told me to. Thought he was pullin' my leg, but he was right, works like a charm.:eyebrows:

CG

Vigo
02-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Hehe, yeh i made a r134 fitting fill hose adapted to the thing for small propane bottles.. and then used it to put propane into an r12 system with r134 conversion fittings. hehe.