PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bad C/V

Polygon
06-27-2010, 10:26 PM
So, how do I test it?

When driving the car to a show today I noticed something in steering wheel. It would happen randomly while turning. It was a popping feeling and when it happened it was like clockwork in the pattern. It was a consistent pop with a consistent interval.

When driving home it felt like it started doing it on acceleration as well. I can't hear any noise, I just feel it in the steering wheel. This makes it so I can't tell which side it is coming from.

So, what is the best way to test the C/V without removing them. For reference, both axles are new from Napa and the boots are all intact with no leaking.

135sohc
06-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Tight circles in a parking lot will set off any bad outer CV joints.

bakes
06-27-2010, 11:38 PM
If you have a open diff jack up one wheel at a time turn the wheel to lock and put in drive the bad one should show it's self.
use caution!!!

Polygon
06-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Tight circles in a parking lot will set off any bad outer CV joints.

But how do you determine which side it is?

If you have a open diff jack up one wheel at a time turn the wheel to lock and put in drive the bad one should show it's self.
use caution!!!

Yeah, that was what I was thinking as well but wasn't too keen on the idea.

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Are they brand new or rebuilt new?

Outers click, inners cause the car to vibrate side to side or that's how it feels. Sometimes you get lucky and you can see the runout if the inner is going, 99% of the time, its a guess.

Polygon
06-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Are they brand new or rebuilt new?

Outers click, inners cause the car to vibrate side to side or that's how it feels. Sometimes you get lucky and you can see the runout if the inner is going, 99% of the time, its a guess.

I can only assume they're rebuilt.

On turns it feels like a click in the wheel. And on acceleration in a straight line it feels like a slight vibration. I can't determine which side it's coming from or if it's both.

bakes
06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Have you centered the motor?

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
If the shafts are new, they will look brand new, the shaft will be all shiny.

If not, they most likely put cheap Chinese new outers on and rebuilt the inners, which you can't do as there aren't any parts available.

Polygon
06-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Have you centered the motor?

Nope, I wouldn't even know to do that. Also, the engine was not removed.

If the shafts are new, they will look brand new, the shaft will be all shiny.

If not, they most likely put cheap Chinese new outers on and rebuilt the inners, which you can't do as there aren't any parts available.

Here's the axles before I put them in.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1797/2961/29491480157_large.jpg

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Oh wow, they don't even have new outers. Get either some used ones, find a local rebuilder or buy brand new ones-although they are unproven yet-more chinese stuff, :o

Polygon
06-28-2010, 06:53 PM
I have a new development. I went out today to clean something I saw on the wheels yesterday which I thought was tar. After touching it, I found it was really grease. Turns out it's the exact same color grease that was in the tie rod ends and ball joints.

The grease was on the outside edge of the wheels. A little had even made it to the outside lip of the wheel. It's only on the passenger side.

Oh wow, they don't even have new outers. Get either some used ones, find a local rebuilder or buy brand new ones-although they are unproven yet-more chinese stuff, :o

Awesome, I bought these from Napa as I thought they sold good axles.