PDA

View Full Version : Red Light of Death

J&H Ryan
06-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Posted at srtforums, but I'm thinking the IQ's are higher here:thumb:

I had two new keys made, lost originals, and it started fine. Took it into body guy, now it just pops up red light when I try to crank. No clicks, nothing. What could they have messed up? Hope they didn't plug the battery in with the ignition on and fry the pcm.

This is a 2005 NSRT

raccoon
06-25-2010, 05:29 PM
perhaps the lost key was inside it and the body guy found and removed it. :)

sounds like programming required. how do you sync the RF keys anyway?

J&H Ryan
06-25-2010, 05:33 PM
I had a guy from Pyramid Lock make new keys, a local company with a guy who owns a neon R/T and loves SRTs, I may have to call him back, but if they problem isn't his, thats another $100.

raccoon
06-25-2010, 05:36 PM
what about this body shop? if your car drove in dont you think it should drive out?

ljbprrfmof
06-25-2010, 06:00 PM
If you have the security key, you need th pin number from Chrysler to program it with the Chrysler DRBII. The SKEM module might have been shorted out causing the car to lose the memory of the keys. I am not sure if there is a procedure to program the keys without the DRB and/or the pin.

J&H Ryan
06-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Drat, thats what I was fearing. I'll try to look up how to program the SKEM, otherwise I'll have to have them reprogrammed. Cha Ching... Stupid computer cars.

raccoon
06-25-2010, 11:43 PM
you can program your own keys if, if you have two existing keys then the car will allow you to add your own. who the f have 3 sets of keys/

J&H Ryan
06-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah, but I'm not sure the two I have are good, thats the thing. I'm going to have to guy come out, if its my problem, then thats life. If the keys need to be reprogrammed, I'm calling it his deal.

rich tideswell
06-27-2010, 09:35 AM
you can program your own keys if, if you have two existing keys then the car will allow you to add your own. who the f have 3 sets of keys/

I do, just for this reason. The dealer gave me only one working set of keys when i bought my ACR...long story......

Topomni
06-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I have to admit, when i saw the title of this post I immediately thought of the xbox 360. Red rings of death.. lol

DodgeZ
06-29-2010, 11:53 AM

I had two new keys made, lost originals, and it started fine. Took it into body guy, now it just pops up red light when I try to crank. No clicks, nothing. What could they have messed up? Hope they didn't plug the battery in with the ignition on and fry the pcm.

This is a 2005 NSRT

check the ASD fuse

J&H Ryan
07-14-2010, 12:11 AM
check the ASD fuse
You're right - 1/2 at least. They smashed one of the computer connectors, then jammed it back in to make it look ok. ASD fuse was also blown. I had to fix both. If the body guy doesn't compensate me for the lost time and me hacking up a perfectly good engine harness, he'll lose $2-3k/mo business over this incident. He didn't do as good of a job the first time around on my GTC as I'd hoped (took respraying of trim and 16hrs of buffing to make it right) so this will be all it takes now to lose a long-time customer. Anyone know a good bodyship in SE mich...

Vigo
07-14-2010, 01:10 AM
I have nothing to add other than that i now know something SRTs and Xbox's have in common :p

rich tideswell
07-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Anyone know a good bodyship in SE mich...

used monocotti's body shop a few times with nice results

J&H Ryan
07-16-2010, 06:39 PM
used monocotti's body shop a few times with nice results
I might try that, but the guy who messed up my comp was from a dealer shop. The owner of my shop fired him, saying there is alot of bad work methods picked up from dealer shops. Basically all the things that give body work a bad name...

That said, Parkway did a fantastic job on my Rubicon, I'm just willing to bet their prices are through the roof (that was an insurance job, and it was $1600 for a fender, blending, and decals)

rich tideswell
07-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Chris is is the guy at Monocotti I used to work with when I needed something. They repaianted my rear bumper on my old 92 Daytona after it was hit in 2005. The paint match was very good, the only way you could tell it was hit was the fresh paint looked better than the rest of the old faded/ baked/ peeling paint on the car. My 92 was radiant fire red just like your convertable. Their estimate was also cheaper than Collex, Billy Bob's Bump'n'Grind, ....... etc....

Let them know you're paying out of pocket, and they do have photo's of cars they've restored as well if you ask them.

J&H Ryan
07-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, I might just try that out then. I have my business as well that could use some more body guy options.

DodgeZ
07-22-2010, 05:07 PM

This is a 2005 NSRT

http://SRT4s.com

crusty shadow
09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
the sentry key system can hold a maximum of 4 keys in program at any given time. when you had the new keys made did you have the old ones cleared out of the system? even though you found the problem and fixed it you should still swing by the dealer and have the old keys cleared out if you havent done it already.

key programing procedure for 1st gen sentry keys:
1st gen sentry keys were used in jeep vehicles from 1999 to 2004, and some neons depending on year. sentry keys have the gray fob.
you need 2 valid keys
insert 1st key and turn ignition switch to ON for at least 5 seconds but no more than 15 seconds. DO NOT CRANK.
turn ignition to off and remove key.
within 5 seconds insert 2nd valid key and turn ignition to run. after 10 seconds a chime will sound and security light will begin to flash.
turn ignition off and remove second key
you have 5 seconds to complete next step
insert key to be programed, turn to run position. after 10 seconds a chime will sound. the security light will stop flashing then turn on for 3 seconds then turn off.
new key is now programmed.

programming 2nd gen sentry keys
2nd gen keys are used on most chrysler products from 2004 to 2007, and 08 sebring convertible and 2008 avenger. these are the ones that have the keyless entry buttons on the fob.
programming sequence is exactly the same for 1st gen sentry keys.

if you need keys removed from the system the dealer can do this, and if you only have 1 valid key or no valid keys the dealership is the only way to program the keys.

on a side note, the ford transponder keys program the same way as the chrysler keys.

Juggy
09-03-2010, 03:22 PM
ryan send them cars over the border, we can have em painted up way cheaper 4 ya

J&H Ryan
09-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm about done with SRT's that need love. SOB's are too finicky. I'm going to do a TIII instead. Yeah, I just said those two sentences right after another...