PDA

View Full Version : New head

hemihead9
06-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Does anyone know of a source where to purchase a new bare casting. Chrysler does not sell them anymore, all the tooling was sold. I am told that they were sold to Russia and the motors are now being made there. Also new castings are being made out of China but the quality is not very good, thin spots in the water jackets etc. Looking to build a new head would like to start with a new one. Thanks!

turbovanmanČ
06-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Search Ebay, you want the Mexican casting, :thumb:

ssheen
06-13-2006, 04:16 PM
There are new heads available. I believe they are from Australia. I saw one at a local speed shop. I forget the US source at the moment.

Wes85L
06-13-2006, 09:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CHRYSLER-DODGE-2-5-OHC-CYLINDER-HEAD_W0QQitemZ8073997140QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33617QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

89acclaim
06-13-2006, 11:45 PM
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102752
On the ProComp heads
PDF with them in it.
www.procompelectronics.com/Files/ProcompCat.pdf
There main page.
http://www.procompelectronics.com

Please note that I don't know of anyone with experience in dealing with them or the heads that they make for our engines.

Daniel Merrill

hemihead9
06-14-2006, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the replys I still trying to find out more info on the Procomp heads.
Spoke to mike at Forward Motion he said the first ones he got were good, but the last ones he had to send back. Thin spots in the water jackets.

ssheen
06-14-2006, 06:33 PM
ProComp heads where the ones I saw here local. Never picked one up. Do not think anyone from our local TD community did either.

Directconnection
06-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Do us a favor. Go back to them and see if they will let you take some detailed pics. Find out where these are cast at for certain. If they are not made in china and are new.... take pics and post up here. Let them know this is a 2.2/2.5 forum(s) with many potential buyers.

ssheen
06-15-2006, 01:16 AM
The markings on the head were different than the Chinese head I saw. I was told Australia if I remember correctly, from the last time I asked them.

csteffee
06-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Makes sense it would be from Austrailia or more likely New Zealand. The new pistions for my buddy's Triumph TR6 came from New Zealand. The quality of the parts were very good. Hopefully, the same will be true about these heads.

Ground Rat
06-24-2006, 03:08 AM
So who can I buy a badass 8v head from? $1,500 is a lot, but I'd pay it if it was a top notch head. As a comparison, my CNC ported SBC AFRs were $1300. How good are Lonewolf's Stage lll port jobs?

Ground Rat
06-25-2006, 03:39 AM
^ Oops, that SBC/8v head comparison didn't make sense.

Where can I buy a top notch 8v head? How much power will the best 8v head support?

shelbyplaya
06-26-2006, 01:59 PM
i bought one.. $250 brand now.. it was the *new* AZN cast head...

turbovanmanČ
06-26-2006, 04:49 PM
So who can I buy a badass 8v head from? $1,500 is a lot, but I'd pay it if it was a top notch head. As a comparison, my CNC ported SBC AFRs were $1300. How good are Lonewolf's Stage lll port jobs?

I don't believe he does 8valve heads. Can't compare other products to ours, we don't have any company making higher flower aftermarket heads, :(
$1500 is a steal considering how badly our heads flow.

^ Oops, that SBC/8v head comparison didn't make sense.

Where can I buy a top notch 8v head? How much power will the best 8v head support?

You can't, you have to buy a stock head and have it ported. SMP, MPGMike, Cindy, FM are suppliers. Most our engines can make I believe is around 500whp unless you go race only then check out SMP's car when he had an 8 valve setup.

8valves
06-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Most our engines can make I believe is around 500whp unless you go race only then check out SMP's car when he had an 8 valve setup.

We'll see about that! :p

Also, Bryan LaForest does badass 8V heads. Mine flows 212 cfm on the intake, done by him of course.

AM

turbovanmanČ
06-26-2006, 07:10 PM
We'll see about that! :p

Also, Bryan LaForest does badass 8V heads. Mine flows 212 cfm on the intake, done by him of course.

AM

Prove me wrong, :p heheheheehe!

Who's Bryan LeForest?

BadFastGTC
06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Are these castings essentially a copy of the original or did they do any trick stuff to them?

Steve M.

i bought one.. $250 brand now.. it was the *new* AZN cast head...

turbovanmanČ
06-26-2006, 09:49 PM
^^^^^^Of course, Steve M did wicked heads but retired, :(

shelbyplaya
06-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Are these castings essentially a copy of the original or did they do any trick stuff to them?

Steve M.
copy, butit looks like more cair went into the casting of the heads... the ports are smoother then the orignal heads

Ground Rat
06-26-2006, 11:50 PM
You can't, you have to buy a stock head and have it ported. SMP, MPGMike, Cindy, FM are suppliers. Most our engines can make I believe is around 500whp unless you go race only then check out SMP's car when he had an 8 valve setup.
Who can I (or anyone else) have work my 782 to support 500whp? Who does custom grind cams for our engines (Comp Cams?)? I'm not quite at that stage yet, but I need to get a feel for the potential of this 8v 2.5 before I spend much more money. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong since it's a turbo motor, but I think the head(s) are the most important part of an engine when it comes to performance.

turbovanmanČ
06-27-2006, 12:57 AM
We have plenty of vendors and knowledge on these boards to get goals like that. LIke I stated 500whp won't be very streetable. Check out the names I listed or contact Gasketmaster on this board, his name is Terry Ryan and he's based in Portland.

Basically good port work, probably rewelding and a big a*s turbo, :thumb:

Ground Rat
06-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Sweet, I'm only 2 hours south of Portland. "Streetable" has a different meaning to everyone.

tryingbe
06-27-2006, 09:54 AM
No, streetable means less turbo lag.

t3rse
06-27-2006, 11:11 AM
streetable means sh*t won't blow up every couple of days...

turbovanmanČ
06-27-2006, 12:51 PM
No, streetable means less turbo lag.

Streetable means no or little turbo lag. A monster race type motor making 500whp won't have boost until the upper rpms and when it comes on, it will shred street tires and break any weak link NOW.

Ground Rat
06-27-2006, 07:24 PM
IMO, as long as it's registered, can be driven on the freeway, and can be driven through traffic without overheating, it's streetable. :eyebrows:

8valves
06-27-2006, 11:49 PM
IMO, as long as it's registered, can be driven on the freeway, and can be driven through traffic without overheating, it's streetable. :eyebrows:

I drove my car out to my GF's house today after getting it up and running yesterday. In total I put over 100 miles on it just today. The car will easily do over 450 whp now, and I'd like to see it get to the 500 mark. It's possible to drive them like that, but you need to pick one side or the other... either quick spool or monster power. They will not go hand in hand eventually. To have a compressor/exhaust capable of that kind of number is going to have some lag, short of hitting it with the bottle a little, which isn't a bad idea at all.

HOWEVER- if I were to do it again, I'd bail on the 8V. You know why? Not because you can't make the power, but because it's such a pain in the --- to work on if it deals with the intake/exhaus/turbo at all. I would just go to a 16V right away for ease of use, and ease of making more usable power.

AM

mech1nxh
06-28-2006, 01:10 AM

Steve M.

yes indeed.....straight to the point...I have also "heard " of a european
casting, but I am still trying to validate that...nitche market "touch and go"
profit? or solid players...hmmm

Ground Rat
06-28-2006, 08:27 PM
I drove my car out to my GF's house today after getting it up and running yesterday. In total I put over 100 miles on it just today. The car will easily do over 450 whp now, and I'd like to see it get to the 500 mark. It's possible to drive them like that, but you need to pick one side or the other... either quick spool or monster power. They will not go hand in hand eventually. To have a compressor/exhaust capable of that kind of number is going to have some lag, short of hitting it with the bottle a little, which isn't a bad idea at all.

HOWEVER- if I were to do it again, I'd bail on the 8V. You know why? Not because you can't make the power, but because it's such a pain in the --- to work on if it deals with the intake/exhaus/turbo at all. I would just go to a 16V right away for ease of use, and ease of making more usable power.

AM

That's good advice man, thanks. I completely understand the lag problems on a turbo 4 banger making that much power, but that's just something I expect. Nitrous is a great idea too. The only reason I want to stick with an 8v head is to keep the motor looking as stockish as possible. The thing I really like about our cars is that the header/turbo is hidden behind the engine. :evil:

8valves
06-28-2006, 10:13 PM
That's good advice man, thanks. I completely understand the lag problems on a turbo 4 banger making that much power, but that's just something I expect. Nitrous is a great idea too. The only reason I want to stick with an 8v head is to keep the motor looking as stockish as possible. The thing I really like about our cars is that the header/turbo is hidden behind the engine. :evil:

That works till a certain point, then when you have a 4 inch intake pipe snaking otu from behind the motor people start to get suspicious.

AM

Stinkbox
06-29-2006, 02:46 AM
i got a brand new mexican casting fully assembled with cam from clearwater cylinder heads in florida for $225 plus my old head. they have ported ones aswell, i believe you can just buy the bare ported head for like $250 or something