PDA

View Full Version : magnaflow round muffler question

rampage
06-23-2010, 08:41 PM
how quiet is a magnaflow round muffler for a side exit? i have a glasspack and am looking for something quieter.

thanks

GLHNSLHT2
06-23-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't know about a side exit but my 3" mandrel bent pipe out the back with it right at the rear is pretty quiet with nothing but the dynomax quieting it down.

tmef
06-23-2010, 09:57 PM
3" with a Magnaflow out the side here. I don't think it is that loud at all.

trbowgn
06-23-2010, 09:58 PM
I've got the magnaflow 2.5" round out the back and it is not horribly loud much better tone than a glass pack also.

Force Fed Mopar
06-24-2010, 01:47 AM
I am starting to really hate my glasspack side exit also :mad: Anybody have some good sound/video clips of the magnaflow? Either side exit or rear exit.

turbodaytona87
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
I have a Dynomax 3" with side exit exhaust and its surprisingly quiet and deep for being on a 4cyl. Not at all like your typical Autozone accessorized honda.

turbovanmanČ
06-24-2010, 02:01 PM
What turbo? A stock turbo won't be that bad but anything larger, especially with a .63 housing and stage II wheel will alot louder.

turbodaytona87
06-24-2010, 06:35 PM
I run a GN turbo on mine, its not bad.

GLHNSLHT2
06-24-2010, 08:17 PM
mine is a .63/stg1 wheel, ported wastegate, with an Automatic which are usually louder than 5spds. It's still a nice deep fairly quiet tone.

Force Fed Mopar
06-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Mine isn't really that loud, I just don't like the tone, and it's right in my ear all the time :(

rampage
06-26-2010, 11:57 PM
if it is more quiet than what i have now then i'll go with a magnaflow. i'm going to be using this vehicle as a DD soon and i head to work at 5:30 am. i don't want to anger up the neighboors too much :D.

GLHNSLHT2
06-27-2010, 02:16 AM
glass packs from what I've heard are loud and crackly. The magnaflow produces a nice deep tone in 2.5" and 3" sizes. I leave for work at 6:30am and have to drive within 3ft of my neighbors house since our driveway is on an easement. Haven't heard any complaints yet. Of course it's probably much better for them since it was 3" straight pipe :)

this is pretty much what it sounds like tone wise. The volume doesn't change much when you rev it up. It's not a magnalfow in the video but it's the same design and functions the same. My buddy put that muffler on his shadow in the center tunnel and exits out the back. I went with the 3" 6" round magnalfow from TU and my new yorker is quieter than his shadow even though his muffler pipe is a side entrance and center exit while the Mag is a center/center setup. Both cars have a nice deep fairly quiet tone. His just has a little bit of a crackle to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIbLrnr2XnM

The Pope
06-28-2010, 12:17 AM
my Convertible with the 3" is quieter than the CSX with the 2.5" magnaflow, both running a S60 turbo and a 2.5. But you always hear that 3" is the most noisy, 2.5" wails at WOT.

Force Fed Mopar
06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
My 2.5" w/ a glasspack sounds like a jet engine under heavy pedal.

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Check this out, a built in muffler check valve, going to get one and try it. I think it has a 90 day money back guarantee-

Its the first muffler, VT.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php

GLHNSLHT2
06-28-2010, 08:56 PM
My 2.5" w/ a glasspack sounds like a jet engine under heavy pedal.

That's because it's super restrictive. Restriction makes that jet sound.

Force Fed Mopar
06-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Check this out, a built in muffler check valve, going to get one and try it. I think it has a 90 day money back guarantee-

Its the first muffler, VT.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php

Cool idea, I have a feeling that valve would freeze up after a year or so though. Maybe not though, if it's made right. It's essentially like a heat riser that used to be made into the manifold on carbed engines to warm the engine up faster. Many of those worked fine for years, so maybe that muffler will too.

That's because it's super restrictive. Restriction makes that jet sound.

I was afraid someone was gonna say that :( I've been wanting to replace it anyway. I have some old 3" Dynomax race bullet header mufflers off a Mustang that have been hanging around useless for a while, maybe I'll hack the turn-downs and header flanges off and try one of those :eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Cool idea, I have a feeling that valve would freeze up after a year or so though. Maybe not though, if it's made right. It's essentially like a heat riser that used to be made into the manifold on carbed engines to warm the engine up faster. Many of those worked fine for years, so maybe that muffler will too.

You never know, I guess I'll find out. If my new setup is still droning, I'll buy one.

Force Fed Mopar
06-28-2010, 09:37 PM
You never know, I guess I'll find out. If my new setup is still droning, I'll buy one.

Yeah, it'd be interesting if you could figure out a way to check how much backpressure or flow is required to open the valve. Or maybe you can call and ask them?

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah, it'd be interesting if you could figure out a way to check how much backpressure or flow is required to open the valve. Or maybe you can call and ask them?

I might call them anyhow and post up what they say.

83Shelby
06-28-2010, 10:13 PM
That VT seems something like what the Z06 uses.