PDA

View Full Version : Just my luck!! wth...

89ShelbyGuy
06-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey guys....i need to vent just a little...

So, i bought a socketed smec from a member on here....it took about 2-3 months before i could put it in....then i get a custom cal chip from another member...i was pumped to put it in....so i do..and all it is is problems...doesn't work....wtf....ok...tried a different chip that came with it....did the same thing...Wtf....ok...so i decide its a bad socketed smec...so i finally get around to buy another socketed board from a member that gives me the 100% it works....so i install it last night....mother f'er....does the same damn thing...WTF......

SO....now i gotta await for a new chip...its gotta be the chip....i got very unlucky and must of had 2 bad chips....ofcoarse. Maybe its time for a burner... I've researched for them....and it gets confusing a little bit...

So...whats the least expensive burning unit out there, thats easy to use and will burn cals into a smec?

Tom

shackwrrr
06-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Howabout going to a ostrich? and are you 100000 times sure there are no other problems? Do you have a smec that does run on the car? If not could there be a wiring harness problem? or could it be a PM problem?

minigts
06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Howabout going to a ostrich? and are you 100000 times sure there are no other problems? Do you have a smec that does run on the car? If not could there be a wiring harness problem? or could it be a PM problem?

I'm with him. Two bad SMECs or two bad chips? It's always possible, but highly unlikely. Keep in mind the SMECs are different so make sure you got one with the right pin outs on the 60 way. I don't know how standard they were for the 80's, but I know I've seen one 60 way with pins in holes that aren't even available in the other 60 way connector, in terms of which ones were drilled to accept a wire. Get some service books that have the wiring diagrams and start trouble shooting. I would bet that is your problem or something else. Unless you are buying the UV erasable chips, a programmed chip should be ok and shouldn't just lose it's programming.

butchsuppe
06-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Dude I sorry you're having problems. On my car in which I test all the SMEC's I socket the wiring is all been updated with fresh wiring. ALL grounds from both the logic board and power board go straight to the battery ground. Something like 6 grounds. All power line have correct voltages. It doesn't take much resistence to create problems for the ECU. The SMEC provides BOTH power and ground to the ASD relay also. Here's the pin-out for the SMEC you're using...http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu/smec-1988-t2.html I hope this helps. And I stand by my guarranty the board works correctly since I would rather cut off my left nut than burn anyone here.

89ShelbyGuy
06-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Yea, i put my stock smec in and have no problems at all. when i put these socketed boards in, it will start for a breif second and then die...when you try to start it up again it sounds like the asd is clicking on and off real fast..

The one chip i got was from Rob, but he also said sometimes the post office scanners mess it up? And the other chip i had was sitting for some time...maybe it lost it memory?

And butch, i don't beleive its a bad smec, if you had it in your car and it worked fine, it should be fine...the other guy i bought the smec from said the same thing....

I am going to check the pin out tommorow to make sure its the same....maybe its that top board...it is nasty looking...maybe i will put in my stock one....i will also check all my grounds...

Thanks for the tips guys...

Tom S

89ShelbyGuy
06-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Well good news!!! It works now!

The problem was the 14 pin power board...somehow it went bad?? I put my stock one from my stock smec in there and she runs great now!

Thanks for the tips guys!

Tom

turbovanmanČ
06-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Great, :thumb:

Info on your own cals, check the KC, sheesh! :mad: :D

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=category&categoryid=6

89ShelbyGuy
06-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Great, :thumb:

Info on your own cals, check the KC, sheesh! :mad: :D

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=category&categoryid=6

I've read every article in there...and it still is confusing! So, sheez back. :mad: :evil:

minigts
06-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Good deal!! Troubleshooting FTW!

butchsuppe
06-20-2010, 11:16 PM
If you want an extra power board I got a couple of extras. $10 shipped. Glad to hear you found the problem.:thumb: