PDA

View Full Version : $4200 bux

Mike_Shepard
12-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Went to a local dodge dealership this afternoon just outta pure bordome to see what they would charge to repaint the daytona 4200 bux is the grand total, That includes stripping it removing all windows fixing a couple little things and a fresh coat of paint about 100 hours of work total. Thought this sounds like alot, it sounds about right if you think of all they will be doing.

A friend of mine is comming in from VA beach and has agreed to do all the work for little more than nothing :)

altered7151
12-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Thats actually a pretty decent price for a complete paint job done right. I know the going rate for labor here is anywhere from $65 to $95, so if they quoted you 100 hours (which seems pretty high) then its cheap. Figure just to buy good paint and materials for a mid sized car is going to cost you about $800.

VB Bryan
12-29-2005, 08:14 PM
i need paint on my GLH.. who is this friend coming from VA Beach? :D as that is where I am located.

Mike_Shepard
12-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Body Labor was 29.8 hrs @ 42 an hour
Paint labor was 33.9 hrs @ 42 an hour
paint supplies was 33.9 @ 22 an hour
Sublet misc charges (windows) $305
Parts $103.50

Bryan his name is chuck he worked at some performance shop there not sure of the name but they have a couple Syclones (GMC) and they had a 90K supra there not too long ago

mo' parts
12-29-2005, 09:52 PM
not a bad price concidering its a t-top tona, with all the x-tra trim pieces and such.
mike, gonna keep it stock colors??

turbovanmanČ
12-29-2005, 10:05 PM
My brother is a body man, he repairs the mangled parts and gets it ready for painting. He can paint so years ago, my 90 White Grand AM SE needed a paint job, we are going to do it, 1 day of removing all the little bits and pieces, body cladding, mouldings etc, day 2 of prepping, primering, sandings, fixing little things, day 3-he painted it then it had to be cured etc. Day 4, finish sanding, polishing then putting it all together.

NEVER AGAIN-:( :blah: will I do that, I don't care how much it saved me. I lost my fingerprints, sense of smell etc. Every dollar they earn is worth it, :amen:

looneytuner
12-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Plus one for turbovanman. I used to refinish pianos. Strip, wash with acetone, scrub with TSP, fill pores, rub down with linseed oil, one coat of sanding sealer, light sanding with 320, coat of sanding sealer, dust sand, 9 coats of lacquer, let each coat cure one day,Wet sand, hand rub. The going price is $4,500 for 5 foot grand now.
Never had finger prints for twenty years.

Mike_Shepard
12-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Yea maybe one day I'll get her painted.

Adam I had pondered the thought of a different blue like on the vipers but that just seems so expected so yea I'm thinking the same color will do just fine

Whorse
12-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Maaco baby. 600 bucks quoted for the Lebaron (not gonna do it, they are for crap cars).

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2005, 04:46 AM
Maaco baby. 600 bucks quoted for the Lebaron (not gonna do it, they are for crap cars).

Hahahaaa. I had a car given to me at work, arggggg, it was primer black. Take it to Maaco in Langley, got there $500 special, asked for Bright White, as in late 80's Honda Civic. 2 weeks later, go pick it up, its BABY F@CKING BLUE I am like WTF is this? he's like, its white? ahem, are you colour blind? he then goes on to say I should have given him the paint code and to repaint it, he wants another $500???????? so I pay my bill and tell this will cost you $1000's, I have told everyone of my customers looking for a paint job-at least $100 customers in the last 2 years, and whomever I could tell, do the math. :D

mech1nxh
12-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Hahahaaa. I had a car given to me at work, arggggg, it was primer black. Take it to Maaco in Langley, got there $500 special, asked for Bright White, as in late 80's Honda Civic. 2 weeks later, go pick it up, its BABY F@CKING BLUE I am like WTF is this? he's like, its white? ahem, are you colour blind? he then goes on to say I should have given him the paint code and to repaint it, he wants another $500???????? so I pay my bill and tell this will cost you $1000's, I have told everyone of my customers looking for a paint job-at least $100 customers in the last 2 years, and whomever I could tell, do the math. :D

another 'WENZEL" shop........LOL...

Mike_Shepard
12-30-2005, 01:45 PM

HAHAHAHA thats funny baby blue huh did you leave it like that or get it resrayed

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2005, 02:10 PM
HAHAHAHA thats funny baby blue huh did you leave it like that or get it resrayed

I wasn't paying to get it redone and actually some kid bought it, so I didn't need to go to court, :D

another 'WENZEL" shop........LOL... Now thats funny stuff, I don't care who you are, :lol:

Ondonti
02-25-2006, 04:01 AM
both my cars need a paintjob and I cant afford even 1 maaco job.

GLHSKEN
02-25-2006, 09:33 AM
For my daughters SC I paid 2k for their top job with some bodywork.. Overall the paint looks good.. Seperate clear etc, twin skunk stripes. Body work was not stellar.. But the car overall looks nice

myplasticegg
02-28-2006, 09:57 PM
my friend's dad only uses macco, and this guy has money. Drives a Porsche SUV, his wife drives a 02 BMW 5 series, daughter drives a 00 Saab 9-3 turbo vert'. the Saab was a car that was wrecked, he did all the prep work himself, sanded it, went over it with a tack cloth while it was at macco the night before. placed a sheet over it and tack clothed it right before they painted it. Looks great, and he didn't even wet sand it.

It is all about the prep work... the paint just makes the prep look good, or bad.

dodgeshadowchik
03-04-2006, 12:42 PM
hahahaha! yea i took my shadow to macco just for a quick paint job. i asked them for the STOCK PR4 color. what did i get? ORANGE!! well, red-orange, but still, nowhere close to the PR4 code!! not to mention, about a year later, it's already starting to chip off. but i don't really care, as i'm tearing it back apart to remove/replace body panels i don't like anymore.

i'm thinking about painting it myself. i love to paint and i've always wanted to learn to airbrush on cars. i guess it depends on how much time i have. :)