PDA

View Full Version : Pics and vids of my (almost) finished 2.4L swap.

1FastCSX289
06-13-2010, 08:17 AM
I have been working on this swap for almost a year now. I took the CSX off the road just before SDAC last year because it was blowing oil past the rings like crazy. I had enough of the 8V in that car for a while so I set it aside on a stand and im going 16V for some fun. :eyebrows: My goal was to build this motor extremely low buck (b/c I am poor) and also be able to restore the car to original at a later date. I came very close to meet both of my goals. Including all the machine work on the engine and the entire build, I did the swap for about 1200 bucks. And I did my very best not to permanently hack things up. I did have to "massage" the firewall for turbo clearance, but it can be "massaged" back (from the other side) and the heat shield put back in place and it will be like it was never there. Thanks to rbryant's distributor mod, the wiring harness is still all original (CSX specific) and nothing else CSX specific was hacked or cut. The only other thing that would have to be changed to go back to the original motor is the aluminum block would have be cut back off the trans (another no biggie).

Ive had some people asking to see pics and vids of the swap. I JUST finished this thing and I dont even really consider it road worthy yet. Ill be driving it back and forth to work for the next week or two just to work out the bugs. So far, there have been a few. I still have a lot of tidying up of the engine bay to do (so forgive the disheveled look). I need to get the fuel pressure regulator rebuilt (this problem eluded me for quite a while).....I also have to get some dynamat installed behind the turbo to keep heat out of the firewall.......and there is a list of other small things that need to be finished. But, here are a couple shots and a vid of it running.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/AustrianOakJr/IMG_3698.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/AustrianOakJr/IMG_3696.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/AustrianOakJr/IMG_3697.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/AustrianOakJr/IMG_3700.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIUoUcpZuE[/QUOTE]

CNH320
06-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Lookin' good man!

1FastCSX289
06-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks! It feels good to finally take it out on the street with the windows down, just cruising a little bit. Its been a while! I wish I finished it a month ago to get enough miles and tuning done on it to feel comfortable bringing it to race at SDAC. The charger will have to do for another year.

omni_840
06-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Very nice!

turboshad
06-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Looks great! Glad you were able to get it on the road. Is it making it to SDAC? The only thing that really popped out visually were the plug wires. I can see one isn't long enough to make the routing of the other three but the way they are routed it is quite obvious. If you route them all cleanly in front of the pipe it will look like that's how you wanted it and no one will notice one is a little short. :thumb:

CNH320
06-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks! It feels good to finally take it out on the street with the windows down, just cruising a little bit. Its been a while! I wish I finished it a month ago to get enough miles and tuning done on it to feel comfortable bringing it to race at SDAC. The charger will have to do for another year.

I'll look forward to seeing it next year then!

Turbo3Iroc
06-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Bring it! You don't have to race it although we will do our best to coax you into it.

Looks good, especially for what you spent on the swap.

1FastCSX289
06-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Looks great! Glad you were able to get it on the road. Is it making it to SDAC? The only thing that really popped out visually were the plug wires. I can see one isn't long enough to make the routing of the other three but the way they are routed it is quite obvious. If you route them all cleanly in front of the pipe it will look like that's how you wanted it and no one will notice one is a little short. :thumb:

Yea, I will probably route them the other way. Ive got to get some spark plug wire bracketry and neaten them up. Theres actually a lot of neatening I have to do.....just neatening up the routing of a lot of things. I could bring it to SDAC, but I just dont want to be chasing problems the whole time.....or be worried about chasing problems.

Bring it! You don't have to race it although we will do our best to coax you into it.

Looks good, especially for what you spent on the swap.

Thanks....yea, thats the thing.....there were a lot of things I wanted to do (still want to do) but I just dont have the money to sink into it. I want to do a custom intake. Braided lines with AN fitting would be nice as well. Theres a few others on my list also. The beauty of the low buck thing is that if I smoke a piston or melt a head....its junk yard parts. Cheap and easy. Unlike the old 8V motor where I had 1000 dollars into just the head.

As for SDAC, I wont be there for the car show, so that leaves only racing. I know the car wont be ready to race. I just dont have the time to sink into tuning it. The charger on the other hand is ready to rock. Im installing nitrous on it right now so ill be having some fun. I wont hesitate to trounce it on the strip and the auto X. The CSX.....I would be all nervous and careful with it. Who needs THAT at SDAC??:D

boost geek
06-13-2010, 09:21 PM
That really looks good! Red CSX's with fibrerides always look awesome. If I ever went 16v, it would probably be the 2.4 route, masi and lotus heads are nice but just too much $$$ for me. :thumb:

rbryant
06-13-2010, 09:43 PM
I would be somewhat concerned with the brass pipe on the fuel rail.

Do you have any support on the driver's side of it?

I would hate for that to vibrate and work harden which could eventually crack over time.

-Rich

mark
06-13-2010, 09:44 PM
those are not fiberrides :)

cordes
06-13-2010, 09:54 PM

I would hate for that to vibrate and work harden which could eventually crack over time.

-Rich

Agreed. I would make sure that the brass rail is well supported above the fuel rail or failure is a reality.

The car is looking great though. I would love to have something which looks half as nice as your car does.

slasky
06-13-2010, 10:13 PM

They are gazerrides. Made from Pontiac rims.

kuzman83
06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
question, I was under the assumption that adjustable cam gears were necessary to get the cam timing correct on a hybrid motor. Did you swap in an entire 2.4 or is that a hybrid. If it's a hybrid how did you get around the timing issue or am I wrong? otherwise it looks fantastic and clean, great work!

turbovanmanČ
06-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Great job man, :hail:

What turbo?

That really looks good! Red CSX's with fibrerides always look awesome. If I ever went 16v, it would probably be the 2.4 route, masi and lotus heads are nice but just too much $$$ for me. :thumb:

You are cheap so yeah, Lotus is out for you, :eyebrows:

question, I was under the assumption that adjustable cam gears were necessary to get the cam timing correct on a hybrid motor. Did you swap in an entire 2.4 or is that a hybrid. If it's a hybrid how did you get around the timing issue or am I wrong? otherwise it looks fantastic and clean, great work!

Its a 2.4, hence the title, 2.4 swap, :p :lol:

You can see the distributor off the intake cam, "Rbyrant" makes the adapter.

He probably wanted bling, hence the gears, gazers love bling, :D

dds78910
06-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Looks good! Makes me motivated to get my hybrid done.

1FastCSX289
06-14-2010, 06:54 AM

-Rich

Yep....good EYE! This is on my list, for sure. I was going to make a sheet metal bracket and attach it with some kind of decent looking clamp.

Great job man, :hail:

What turbo?

GT30R. :eyebrows: It makes boost really low.....noticeably lower than the 8V motor. At a mere 10 PSI right now, it feels quite insane.

He probably wanted bling, hence the gears, gazers love bling, :D

No bling. Those are stock gears......just painted. Im actually very anti-bling....hence the stock appearance. Which is another reason to add to the looong list of why I am not a gazer. I just happen to be associated with these other gazers in my local SDAC chapter. GAZER! :D

Thanks......yep, as others have said.....its a full 2.4 out of a Stratus.

Agreed. I would make sure that the brass rail is well supported above the fuel rail or failure is a reality.

The car is looking great though. I would love to have something which looks half as nice as your car does.

Thanks Cordes. I appreciate the props. :thumb:

HA! Fooled another one!! :thumb: And you guys are gazers.

Looks good! Makes me motivated to get my hybrid done.

Thanks man. Yea.....its a good chunk of work. Luckily I am blessed with slave labor (im a school teacher) so I was able to plug away at it pretty steadily over the winter.

dds78910
06-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by slasky

HA! Fooled another one!! And you guys are gazers.

Fooled me:o

contraption22
06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Awesome man! Can't wait to see it in person.

1FastCSX289
06-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Fooled me:o

He he. When i brought the car to SDAC in Detroit, I got a lot of comments like....."nice fiber...wait a second...." :D A lot of people dont even notice the difference standing in front of the car....much less by picture. I outlined the process of making these in the KC.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=96

Awesome man! Can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks Mike.

kuzman83
06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Its a 2.4, hence the title, 2.4 swap, :p :lol:

You can see the distributor off the intake cam, "Rbyrant" makes the adapter.

He probably wanted bling, hence the gears, gazers love bling, :D[/QUOTE]

yeah guess I should have read the title a bit better :o. I should just stick to licking windows on the tard barge......

turbovanmanČ
06-14-2010, 02:49 PM
GT30R. :eyebrows: It makes boost really low.....noticeably lower than the 8V motor. At a mere 10 PSI right now, it feels quite insane.

Sweet, :thumb:

No bling. Those are stock gears......just painted. Im actually very anti-bling....hence the stock appearance. Which is another reason to add to the looong list of why I am not a gazer. I just happen to be associated with these other gazers in my local SDAC chapter. GAZER! :D

Very nicely done, but your also guilty by association, :lol:

mark
06-14-2010, 05:42 PM
sean you are King Multi-Quote, Ruler of the lands of Hack and Slash. All bow down before you in fear of your quote skills. :)

1FastCSX289
06-14-2010, 08:35 PM
sean you are King Multi-Quote, Ruler of the lands of Hack and Slash. All bow down before you in fear of your quote skills. :)

You better believe it. I can make you say things you never thought you would say:

Hi, im Mark and im a big Gazer.

1FastCSX289
06-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Very nicely done, but your also guilty by association, :lol:

Its tough hanging out with these guys.....I try to show tolerance of their alternative life style......but every where I go people just assume the worst about me too.

turbovanmanČ
06-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Its tough hanging out with these guys.....I try to show tolerance of their alternative life style......but every where I go people just assume the worst about me too.

Hahahaa, :lol:

mark
06-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Is this the "2 snaps in a circle" mod you were talking about?

1FastCSX289
06-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Mark you are King Photoshop, Ruler of the lands of Fudge and Smudge. All bow down before you in fear of your PS skills. :)

:thumb: