PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Stratus 2.4 Timing Belt Woes

RattFink
06-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Where to begin... My Daily driver is a 1999 Dodge Stratus 2.4. Has been a great car. Current mileage around 168,000. My parents bought it used around 60,000 miles and I got it from them around 100,000 miles. As far as I know, it's never had a timing belt job done. Well, a few months ago I bought the proper crankshaft pulley puller, timing belt, and water pump, and am just now getting around to replacing it. It came apart easy, got the Timing belt off in about an hour. Decided I sould replace the tensioner due to excessive free play, no big deal, lotsa mile on it. Pulled the cam pulleys to replace water pump, and guess what? The rear camshaft pulley has a chunk out of it :yuck: WTF? I need to find one for it, no questions asked. I guess what I'm wondering is if this is a common problem? Where do I get one? Junkyard? Never thought I would find this. Pretty much blows. Missing chunk is about 1/4 inch long and 1/8 inch deep. Looks like it has been like this awhile due to rust build up on broken edge. Also, there are cracks around missing chunk.... End vent lol.

Heres some pics, look closely, hard to see.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad118/Mattikus17/DSCF1819.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad118/Mattikus17/DSCF1816.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad118/Mattikus17/DSCF1814.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad118/Mattikus17/DSCF1810.jpg

turbovanmanČ
06-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Looks like something went thru the engine or maybe a manufactering mess up?

Either way, any 2.0 and 2.4 will work. If you can't find any, I have one.

RattFink
06-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Called 2 Chrysler dealers, first one none in stock and said it was $130 bucks :yuck: Second one had 3 in stock and said they were $42.50 each, just went and picked one up :) For that price on a new one, a junkyard trip wouldn't even be worth the time. Also, I picked up a new tensioner at O-riley's. Putting it back together tomorrow!

Big_P
06-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I've had luck using a regular 3-jaw puller and a 6" 1/4" drive extension to pull the crank pulley off. What a PITA though and a stupid design. Press on? wtf?

Maybe someone did the t-belt before and used channel-lock pliers to hold the cam sprocket while they were tightening the bolt? Seen that happen.

RattFink
06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
It's possible somebody damaged it previously, I guess I will never know. I'm just glad the dealer had one in stock for a reasonable price. What is a good way to hold the pulleys when re-installing them? I don't have a special tool for that, I didn't realize they had to be removed until I got into it. Shoulda done more research I guess. I bought a Blue Point puller for the crank pulley and it worked beautifully.

turbovanmanČ
06-12-2010, 05:01 PM
When you put the crank pulley back on, DO NOT hammer it all the way in, there is no stop and it will go right into the seal and housing. I put them on so the crank pulley push's it to its proper spot.

I use brake hose clamps or vice grips to hold the belt on the sprockets, just set lightly of course.

Sgt Craig
06-13-2010, 07:53 AM
I use the proper installer ,see if maybe the parts store has a loaner.Whatevere you do do not be tempted to use the factory bolt.It will break off and is a major PIA to fix.To see if the pulley is seated properly take a paper clip and stick it in the hole.Youll just be able to feal the lip on the crank snout when installed properly.

Big_P
06-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Huh? to install the crank pulley, I hammered it on halfway (goes on a lot easier than it comes off, a few taps with a hammer) and used the bolt on my impact gun to finish it. I've done this many times on these things and haven't had a problem.

RattFink
06-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah, for the crank pulley I just hammered it on a little then hit the bolt with my impact until the belts lined up good. Was pretty easy in the end, It's been awhile since I've done a timing belt as everything I work on has a V8 with timing chain. I finished it up last night, drove it to work and back today. Runs good, should be good to go for the life of the car probably. I defiantly think somebody has taken it apart before though now that I look at it. The strut tower is all beat up, some bolts were missing, that cam pulley was broken, and I noticed the motor mount was crooked, and you could tell where the bolts had been tightened down at another time. I don't know why it was taken apart before, but it defiantly was.

ShelbyTurbo
08-04-2010, 01:05 AM
I've had luck using a regular 3-jaw puller and a 6" 1/4" drive extension to pull the crank pulley off. What a PITA though and a stupid design. Press on? wtf?

Maybe someone did the t-belt before and used channel-lock pliers to hold the cam sprocket while they were tightening the bolt? Seen that happen.

I spent the 80 bucks on the special tool. I figured it was worth it cuz I owned one.

I bought a DOHC cam sprocket retaining tool to lock the cams in place when I did the belt, that was worth every penny I spent on it too.

Why did you remove the cam gears to do the water pump? you can usually sneak the pump out of there with out completely removing the rear timing cover.

ShelbyTurbo
08-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Yeah, for the crank pulley I just hammered it on a little then hit the bolt with my impact until the belts lined up good. Was pretty easy in the end, It's been awhile since I've done a timing belt as everything I work on has a V8 with timing chain. I finished it up last night, drove it to work and back today. Runs good, should be good to go for the life of the car probably. I defiantly think somebody has taken it apart before though now that I look at it. The strut tower is all beat up, some bolts were missing, that cam pulley was broken, and I noticed the motor mount was crooked, and you could tell where the bolts had been tightened down at another time. I don't know why it was taken apart before, but it defiantly was.

I like to lube mine up and gently tap it on with a dead blow.

And then torque the crank pulley bolt to 110 ft/lbs or so, I think the spec is 100 ft/lbs, but it's been awhile since I've had to do it.

rbryant
08-04-2010, 01:26 AM
A lot of people also heat the pulley up in the oven before installing it. That way it goes on easier (as long as your wife doesn't find out that is).

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
08-04-2010, 03:11 AM
A lot of people also heat the pulley up in the oven before installing it. That way it goes on easier (as long as your wife doesn't find out that is).

-Rich

Buy a toaster oven, they come in handy, :clap: