PDA

View Full Version : OK, the wife wants to know: What is there to do around SDAC-20???

Clay
06-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Besides the obvious historical stuff.

She would more interested in shopping, water parks, amusement parks, etc.

Now, I would also be interested in the out of the way places, good food places, or little known historical places.

Our plan is to stay "in the area" for a few days after the event. Go to Gettysburg, DC, etc.

Any info on places that are a must see, or that the wife might want to visit when she gets bored would be appreciated! :)

"Top Fuel" Bender
06-08-2010, 09:06 AM
she can go to the Boyds Bear Factory with my wife if she wants

contraption22
06-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Hershey Park! It's about an hour and a half away. Awesome amusement park, Chocholate World etc.

www.hersheypark.com

"Top Fuel" Bender
06-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Hershey Park! It's about an hour and a half away. Awesome amusement park, Chocholate World etc.

www.hersheypark.com

Reese's rules :banana-mario:
Full day of fun alone just there

Clay
06-08-2010, 09:38 AM
OK, good stuff! Ill mention the Boyd's Bear factory to her, she would probably go for that. Hershey Park is on our 'to do' list already. Problem is our list is getting big!

are they are 'crab/lobster shacks' close to the where we are? You always hear about driving along the ocean and finding a rundown looking single room shack with picknic tables outside, and a big old pot of boiling water inside, where you can get a fresh lobster or crab.

mcsvt
06-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Maryland crabs! mmm...

Clay
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
quit mmmmmmm'in at me and give me directions! ;)

contraption22
06-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Well...the locals would probably be able to help you out with that one, but you are fairly far from the coast in Hagerstown. I could tell you about some places in Ocean City, MD. But that's 3.5 hours away.

Clay
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
we wont be that far away from the ocean. We plan to go to DC, which should get us pretty close. Who knows........ I really loves me some robster craws....... I might drive 3.5 hours! ;)

contraption22
06-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Phillips is where you wanna go in OC, MD

Phillips Seafood (http://www.phillipsseafood.com/)

sdac guy
06-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Phillips is where you wanna go in OC, MD

On the schedule, Tuesday will be an open day until the afternoon drag racing starts.

In Hershey there is also a car museum, the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum. Directions will be in the goody bags. www.aacamuseum.org

Barry

Boltthrower
06-08-2010, 10:48 AM
liberty seafood in libertytown, md is where everyong round here goes to eat crabs n seafood. bout 30-40 minute drive from hagersbush. if you like river rafting, tubing, lil whitewater or even biking harpers ferry in wv just south of us is a good place to go. also got cuningham falls( think that's what its called) state park. camp davids right in the park. for shopping there's prime outlets here in town. a lot of stores there.

Boltthrower
06-08-2010, 10:58 AM
oh! if your not close to one there's a midevil times at the arundle mills mall. fun drunk times there. also down the road a bit is DC. tons of stuff there.

"Top Fuel" Bender
06-08-2010, 11:35 AM
York,Pa has a large Harley Davidson Factory if your into motorcycles too

briceturbosports
06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
also the sprint car hall of fame above gettysburg

csxtra
06-08-2010, 12:29 PM
quit mmmmmmm'in at me and give me directions! ;)

I think to get to Hershey Park, you take the Hershey Highway...:D

JDAWG
06-08-2010, 12:40 PM
http://www.medievaltimes.com/ is the poop, if you go spring for the kings royalty package, about an hour away, if you want to go shopping there is prime outlets like 5 mins away, there are a few crab places in town, the stadium tavern would be closest and literally right around the corner, right across the street from the dragstrip the have go karts, mini golf, batting cages, etc

if really interested I could give you directions for a nice ride around boonsboro (washington monument), sharpsburg (antietam battlefield), burketsville (yea from the blair witch and spook hill is fun), harpers ferry, etc. Im big into early american history myself

MoparBoyy
06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
i am bringing a motorcycle so i can hopefully find some sweet roads to just blast around on.

Dusty_Duster
06-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Boyds Bears got bought out. The "factory" (called Bear Country) is a shadow of its former self. Not worth the trip.

168glhs1986
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
we wont be that far away from the ocean. We plan to go to DC, which should get us pretty close. Who knows........ I really loves me some robster craws....... I might drive 3.5 hours! ;)

Check to make sure the crabs are local and fresh, not frozen.

I used to on the eastern shore and you don't have to cross the bridge too far to get good local crabs. Check out Harris Crabhouse by the Kent Narrows Bridge.

Keito
06-10-2010, 08:04 AM
I searched for local seafood in Hagerstown and came up
with Chic's Seafood.
Any locals verify this one is good?
I'll probably only go to one good restaurant while I'm there
and I don't want to waste my trip.
Gotta get them crabcakes!
If it was closer I'd make the trip to Box Hill Pizza for the cakes.
http://www.boxhillpizzeria.com/index.html

sdac guy
06-10-2010, 10:33 AM
with Chic's Seafood.
http://www.boxhillpizzeria.com/index.htmlFor what it is worth, the hotel sales manager I talked to said that the place right by the motel has the area's best crabcakes. I think she was talking about the hotel bar, as the hotel restaurant has Mexican food.

Barry

JDAWG
06-11-2010, 01:12 AM
with Chic's Seafood.
http://www.boxhillpizzeria.com/index.html

Chics is good, I never ate there, just got my crabs and came home, they cook their crabs with old bay of course and he puts some kind of peppers in it, gives it a nice kick. Its more of a restaurant kind of place. Stadium tavern that I mentioned is another good one. Its more of a bar/lounge kind of place, they have an outside patio and you can smoke. You cant smoke anywhere indoors in md. Those 2 are probably the best in town. Actually either of those 2 are the only place I buy crabs from.

If anyone wants more info while at sdac send me a email with your phone number.
josmith213@hotmail.com
my phone doesnt work too good on this forum for some reason and i check my emails from my phone frequently

Clay
06-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Ok guys, great info!!

anything else??

When it comes to food in general, Im a big fan of local out of the way type places that you wouldnt know about or find with out some local help. Any places like that?