PDA

View Full Version : anyone running an ostrich with an 87 LM?

86seeS
06-04-2010, 07:38 PM
im wanting to run an ostrich on my glhs. its been changed to 87 csx electronics with 3 bar. wanting to know what ill need and and what tunner to download... any help is greatly appreciated thanks! -wes

Force Fed Mopar
06-04-2010, 08:25 PM
We may run DodgeZ's Ostrich on my Shelby Z, if we do I'll let you know what all we did.

86seeS
06-04-2010, 09:13 PM
it dosnt look to bad one of my good friends tunes alot of hondas, buick gn, and dsms with the ostrich stuff i gave him an old 87 LM to check out he said it didnt seem to tuff to tackle

risen
06-04-2010, 10:39 PM
I'd say grab a copy of mptuner and the turbonator lm cal for software. The physical install of the ostrich should be very straightforward , I'm sure your buddy can handle it if he's got experience with the ostrich on those other cars. You should read through the mptuner thread before trying to do the cal though, so you're familiar with what needs to be done.

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2010, 01:50 AM
You need a socketed LM, an Ostrich, and run either Dcal or the new MP tuner.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=category&categoryid=6

OnLooker
06-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Also don't forget to get Emutility.

risen
06-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Also don't forget to get Emutility.

Mptuner can write directly to the ostrich.

tinyturbo
06-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Im going with the ostrich setup too, im excited to get it all hooked up and working, seems to be the most simple way to tune your car without changing chips and tuning on the fly is going to be sweet.

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Im going with the ostrich setup too, im excited to get it all hooked up and working, seems to be the most simple way to tune your car without changing chips and tuning on the fly is going to be sweet.

Dude, IT ROCKS, :hail:

We/I can't thank Rob, Bryan and co enough for making the Ostrich happen, :partywoot:

86seeS
06-05-2010, 02:14 PM
thanks guys im going to try to get it going before sdac i hate being a rookie so ill need the ostrich box and ? any special cables or harness from them other then whats posted?

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
thanks guys im going to try to get it going before sdac i hate being a rookie so ill need the ostrich box and ? any special cables or harness from them other then whats posted?

Just the Ostrich and you'll need a longer a-b cable.

The link I posted covers everything, :nod:

86seeS
06-05-2010, 03:02 PM
thanks man

OnLooker
06-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Cool, I haven't messed with Mptuner yet.

DodgeZ
06-19-2010, 07:50 PM

is there a write up on this?

risen
06-19-2010, 11:22 PM

Only info I know of is in the mptuner thread. You could always pm wowzer ( the author of that software) on here for more info.

x.Gen
06-20-2010, 12:35 AM

you mean a how-to? it is pretty easy.

in MPTuner, click setup, then com setup. check FTDI, select the port your ostrich is on, and baud 921600. click chip, then read/write. select correct BIN size, click write BIN to chip. select the BIN you want uploaded, click open. that's it!

Force Fed Mopar
06-20-2010, 07:52 AM
DodgeZ played around w/ this in my car last night, killed the car once or twice trying to write the changes made or whatever, seems to work pretty slick though once you know what's going on :) Just make sure you know what's what and how to use it properly before taking off down the road in it, or at least carry a spare chip in case you forget offsets or whatever.

x.Gen
06-20-2010, 01:23 PM
MPTuner does the offsets for you in the chip read/write feature, that's what the BIN size is for. makes it much easier when you are just getting into it (if you aren't familiar with offsets).

Force Fed Mopar
06-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Well, I'm not an expert in it by any means, so maybe it was something else. I was just driving and giving feedback :) But it did shutdown once when he tried to save or something while running. He did figure out what he did and we got it to start up again, and after that it did just fine, made changes while running w/ no hiccups.

DodgeZ
06-20-2010, 07:36 PM

in MPTuner, click setup, then com setup. check FTDI, select the port your ostrich is on, and baud 921600. click chip, then read/write. select correct BIN size, click write BIN to chip. select the BIN you want uploaded, click open. that's it!

I thought it had something to do with "table watch". I'll give that a shot. I did get it linked up but didn't think to burn the "chip"

x.Gen
06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
you need those same com settings correct for the table watch to work, so it's indirectly related.

DodgeZ
06-20-2010, 08:01 PM

you need those same com settings correct for the table watch to work, so it's indirectly related.

I had it set and it found the ostrich. The table watch was grayed out. What does the table watch do? I had a bin file loaded not a template.

x.Gen
06-20-2010, 08:58 PM
the table watch is a poor man's data monitor (not logging, as it sometimes gets misinterpreted). to get that to work, the com setup needs to be correct, and you have to have the same BIN that is loaded on the ostrich open in the tune program. select the table you want to watch from the table directory tree in the tune window, click table options, and table watch.

this opens another window in MPTuner for that table, and highlights data points as they are accessed actively. good for fine tuning something while the engine is running. of course datalogging is better, but it is useful for minor things (especially if you aren't set up to log). the ostrich can do this independently, but MPTuner makes it accessible. big thanks to wowzer for this one, it definitely helped me work some annoying bugs out of my tune.

DodgeZ
06-20-2010, 09:14 PM
So I can watch say... where my car is at on the timing table?

x.Gen
06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
any table that's defined in the cal. you can only monitor one table at a time. of course, not a great idea doing it solo while driving, but you get the idea. forgot to mention this was only in the later version of MPTuner, so update if you haven't already.

DodgeZ
06-20-2010, 09:37 PM
any table that's defined in the cal. you can only monitor one table at a time. of course, not a great idea doing it solo while driving, but you get the idea. forgot to mention this was only in the later version of MPTuner, so update if you haven't already.

That is fine. My AEM does the samething. It is very nice to see where the cal is "at". I like being able to drive around and adjust the cal. Normally I am the co driver with the laptop. I was driving around with Force last night thinking damn it would be nice to see where this thing was at instead of just looking a MPTuner. LOL.

We are having some issues with Forces car not pulling good after 4000 rpm. The AFs are dialed in at mid 11's. I tried bumping the timing but didn't help, I went pretty far up on full throttle table timing and it didn't change how the car pulled nor did the check engine light flash. Maybe this will help us figure out the problem.

Force Fed Mopar
06-20-2010, 09:45 PM
It wigged out on start-up a couple of times too, today. Also has a couple codes stored in the computer that should have the Power Loss light on, but it isn't. May just be a need to unhook the battery, as it seems to run fine and normal, but maybe there's an issue w/ the Power Loss light not getting triggered properly? May be why we haven't seen it flash, although I haven't ever heard any knock.

DodgeZ
06-20-2010, 09:49 PM
It wigged out on start-up a couple of times too, today. Also has a couple codes stored in the computer that should have the Power Loss light on, but it isn't. May just be a need to unhook the battery, as it seems to run fine and normal, but maybe there's an issue w/ the Power Loss light not getting triggered properly? May be why we haven't seen it flash, although I haven't ever heard any knock.

what codes?

Force Fed Mopar
06-20-2010, 09:51 PM
12, 13, 14, 16, 21, 55. 12 and 55 are normal, the others should set the light. I'm going to check my LM and sensor connections and reset the computer, see what happens.

Force Fed Mopar
06-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Did all that, started it and let it warm up, no codes. About to go for a run in it.

DodgeZ
06-20-2010, 10:16 PM
we need to hook my handheld up to it.

Force Fed Mopar
06-22-2010, 10:39 AM
No more codes now, must've been when we were messing with it that night. Changed the coolant temp sensor and the sending unit for the gauge, still runs the same. It does run cold all the time though. Like barely off the cold mark.