PDA

View Full Version : Seal material, kinda like caulk but not

minigts
06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know what material they use to wipe down on some of the joints and along the drip rail? I'll probably be removing this to get rid of the rust, but I'd like to use the same stuff or something similar. Caulk obviously is too flexible (in my opinion) as is silicone, which isn't paintable anyways. I'm sure a body shop supply store will have it, but what do I ask for?

supercrackerbox
06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm fairly certain that's just body sealer like in the rest of the areas, but perhaps someone knows more than I do.

135sohc
06-04-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=256

Whatever you choose make sure its a two part sealer. One part air dry stuff will crack and look like sh!t in no time.

1FastCSX289
06-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Bubble gum. Lots of bubble gum. :eyebrows:

contraption22
06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I hear you must become very friendly with a zebra to get the real stuff.

Mopar318
06-05-2010, 10:58 AM
It called seam sealer.

blk86trbo
06-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I hear you must become very friendly with a zebra to get the real stuff.

Hahahahahaha

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know what material they use to wipe down on some of the joints and along the drip rail? I'll probably be removing this to get rid of the rust, but I'd like to use the same stuff or something similar. Caulk obviously is too flexible (in my opinion) as is silicone, which isn't paintable anyways. I'm sure a body shop supply store will have it, but what do I ask for?

Why is it too flexible? Its not a structural item so flex is fine. I've repaired a few leaks over the years with RTV and then put rubberized undercoat on top, :eyebrows:

minigts
06-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Why is it too flexible? Its not a structural item so flex is fine. I've repaired a few leaks over the years with RTV and then put rubberized undercoat on top, :eyebrows:

This is for the drip rail area. Any place that will be visible when the hood, doors or hatch is open will get this type of stuff. It it were in a place not visible, that would be a different story.

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2010, 02:12 PM
This is for the drip rail area. Any place that will be visible when the hood, doors or hatch is open will get this type of stuff. It it were in a place not visible, that would be a different story.

Fine then, be picky, :p

Aries_Turbo
06-05-2010, 03:03 PM
seam sealer. eastwood carries it. i used it on my daytona. works real good. stinks real bad.

Brian

minigts
06-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Fine then, be picky, :p

LOL Everyone can do what they think will get them by. Using house caulk on an exterior area on a car is like using wood screws to hold ground effects onto a car. Getting the job done and doing the job right are miles apart.

seam sealer. eastwood carries it. i used it on my daytona. works real good. stinks real bad.

Brian

I'll look for it at the local paint store.

crusty shadow
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
any automotive paint store carries it- 3M bushable seam sealer.

if you take a shop towel and soak it in thinner and use that to apply/ remove excess it goes on a lot smoother.

minigts
06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Good deal, thanks for the info guys!