PDA

View Full Version : Installing R/T spoiler, any tips so I don't screw up my trunk?

86Shelby
06-03-2010, 11:12 PM
I plan to install the spoiler on my R/T in the coming weeks and am looking for any tips and such so that I don't manage to screw up the paint on my trunk while drilling.

I've heard it helps to heat up the paint. Measure 20 times drill once. Any more?

turbovanmanČ
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
You beat me to it, measure many times, drill once.

Use tape/duct tape to drill thru.

135sohc
06-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Measure everything and lay it out on the car using masking tape. Have a vacuum running to catch all the shavings because they will cause rust if left inside the deck lid and of course never leave any metal bare.

spirit1991
06-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Most deck lids are pre-dimpled for the access plugs on the right and left of the spoiler. I took a small file and rounded the edges of the holes so the paint wont peel. I would never heat the paint, besides any small imperfection from drilling will be covered be the wing. be sure to touch up the bare metal and use sealer on the nuts that hold it down.

Captain Chaos
06-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Make a template out of posterboard. When I mounted a hood scoop on my muscle car, I laid the scoop on it, traced it out and marked where the studs were. Cut the stud openings in the cardboard then sat it back on the hood to make sure it was a perfect match. Once I was happy with it, I got it on the hood where I wanted it, taped it on and drilled the hood. I masked with masking tape to drill through.