PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter relocation?

Nemesismachine
06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Any hybrid drivers running an oil filter relocation kit? I know I am going to need one because the intake is HUGE. Where did you put the filter, over the trans?

Nemesismachine
06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
nobody?

rbryant
06-22-2010, 07:52 PM
I once ran one in the nose of the GLHS by running lines through the front sheet metal just to the passenger side of the radiator. I could reach the filter from the bottom and I had it setup so that it didn't drip when I removed the filter.

If you go that route you might as well add an oil cooler too. The big trick is that you need to run a bulkhead fitting so you are sure that it will never cut the line where it goes through the sheetmetal.

Be very careful with oil lines as any failure in them will likely kill your engine.

It is probably safest to just run the filter on the inside of the passenger fender. Make sure your lines are very secured and won't rub anything and also have some slack to flex when the engine rocks...

-Rich

johnl
06-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I once ran one in the nose of the GLHS by running lines through the front sheet metal just to the passenger side of the radiator. I could reach the filter from the bottom and I had it setup so that it didn't drip when I removed the filter.

If you go that route you might as well add an oil cooler too. The big trick is that you need to run a bulkhead fitting so you are sure that it will never cut the line where it goes through the sheetmetal.

Be very careful with oil lines as any failure in them will likely kill your engine.

It is probably safest to just run the filter on the inside of the passenger fender. Make sure your lines are very secured and won't rub anything and also have some slack to flex when the engine rocks...

-Rich

Well said.

Keeping it all inside the core support and fenders offers collision protection too. The whole project is one of those deals where unanticipated parts/engineering/fabrication problems can result in a huge liability.

Small liabilities/high risks are OK while huge liabilities/small risks are not.

shelbyplaya
06-23-2010, 01:13 AM
i mounted mine on the lower rad support below wher the stock IC would have been. I used a kit for a ford 5L

rbryant
06-23-2010, 04:50 PM
i mounted mine on the lower rad support below wher the stock IC would have been. I used a kit for a ford 5L

I used the same kit from permacool when I did it.

Make sure to use a round inlet/outlet adapter where it connects to the block where the inlet/outlet point forward. If you try to use the one where they come out the side it will hit on a common block and you can't spin it on... I ordered one it and wouldn't fit.

-Rich