PDA

View Full Version : Save head for conversion, or not?

john1320
06-03-2010, 01:07 AM
I found a 2.0 head at the J-yard ready to pull, on a Stealth i believe.
IIRC, the 2.0 heads like this one are good to use for conversions, as the exuast is at the front, instead of the firewall like all the neons.
i dont have more details but will go back there friday or sat and snap a pic.
Is this the grail of 2.0 heads like i think it is? Someone had discussed this a long time back- any links?

boost geek
06-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Most people don't like them because of the exhaust on the front. I was planning on using this one, and mount the turbo over the tranny, but decided to stay 8 valve. The intake is also a 2 piece which could be nicely modded.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/DOHC-2.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_1472.jpg

john1320
06-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Yes that's the one! I actually like the idea of it being up front. Could a turbo swap get any easier than that? lol :eyebrows:
So might be a good idea to save the intake as well? i don't see many 2.0s of this design out there. More and more in the J-yard getting crushed...

john1320
06-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Yes that's the one! I actually like the idea of it being up front. Could a turbo swap get any easier than that? lol :eyebrows:
So might be a good idea to save the intake as well? i don't see many 2.0s of this design out there. More and more in the J-yard getting crushed...
Oh, and what is out there for a turbo manifold? I have not looked yet..

turbovanmanČ
06-03-2010, 03:49 AM
DCR is using that head, its the 420A head. If you like the engine setup ala Talon/Evo/Honda, go that route and yes, turbo swaps would be a breeze, :nod:

contraption22
06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
There are several companies that make cast turbo exhaust manifolds for that head. They are all over ebay for cheap. The engine is called the 420A.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=420a+turbo+manifold&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I thought about using that head for a 16v conversion... but assuming you wanted to run an exhaust system, how would you route the exhaust to the back of the car? I would assume the oil pan on a 420A is clearanced for this.

shelbymonster
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
does it fit on the 8valve block ?

contraption22
06-03-2010, 11:02 AM
does it fit on the 8valve block ?

In theory, since these engines use the same block as the Neon, the head should go on a 2.2 as easy as a Neon head does. I do not know anybody that has done it tho.

john1320
06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
There are several companies that make cast turbo exhaust manifolds for that head. They are all over ebay for cheap. The engine is called the 420A.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=420a+turbo+manifold&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I thought about using that head for a 16v conversion... but assuming you wanted to run an exhaust system, how would you route the exhaust to the back of the car? I would assume the oil pan on a 420A is clearanced for this.

Wow your not kidding, this has "TD cheap" project written all over it!
Good call on the oil pan possibly being an issue. If the local yard is affordable, i may try to grab the head with intake, and keep the coil pack as well.
I miss anything?
Anyone use a holset with this style mani?
Sofar i think the highest cost item might be cam gears or holset atm..

john1320
06-03-2010, 11:23 AM
In theory, since these engines use the same block as the Neon, the head should go on a 2.2 as easy as a Neon head does. I do not know anybody that has done it tho.

All the more reason to give it a run this year..:amen:
Oh cr@p, what would the compression ratio be? Anything 9.5 or higher would be a b!tch to get cal'd right, not to mention would have to run lower boost levels.

turbovanmanČ
06-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Its identical, just turned around. I mentioned DCR has done it, although a 2.4 block. ;)

As for the exhaust, nothing a little creativity can fix, :eyebrows:

Pic of a turbo setup-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98-99-eclipse-420a-t3t4-cast-turbo-manifold-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a078c1152QQitemZ18051 5246418QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

All the more reason to give it a run this year..:amen:
Oh cr@p, what would the compression ratio be? Anything 9.5 or higher would be a b!tch to get cal'd right, not to mention would have to run lower boost levels.

Why couldn't you use a Holset? :confused:

Compression is the same as the regular Neon head, around 8:1.

john1320
06-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Why couldn't you use a Holset? :confused:

Compression is the same as the regular Neon head, around 8:1.

I've never had a mani other than the Chrysler style, so i;m noob in that area :Dlooks like no changes need for good compression, ala stock mahles..

rbryant
06-03-2010, 08:51 PM

The SRT4 is setup to run an intercooler pipe under the oil pan similar to the way the 420a oil pan leaves room for the exhaust.

The exhaust would probably be a little low because it is a larger pipe than the IC pipe but it would probably be possible.

I actually think the turbo swap is easier on the back side but there are some tradeoffs. Without the intake in the way it is pretty easy to change a turbo on the back side. If it were in the front it would be pretty tight to the radiator fan. I also like to keep the exhaust heat on the back side of the engine so I don't burn myself as often.

The regular manifolds might be an option on some cars but on an lbody there just wouldn't be much room for a big turbo on the front side with a standard off the shelf manifold.

Making a header that moves the turbo over the tranny might be an option. It would be pretty complex fabrication and once again there is a lot of hot pipe to avoid when working on the car.

There would definitely be more room for the intake manifold on the lbody with the over tranny turbo on a 420a head... Turbo header runner design is also more flexible than intake manifolds so I guess there is more that could be done there...

-Rich

john1320
06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Hey Rich, good to see you chime in! How's everyone in the Socal cub?
Just talked to Chris last week about sdac, i'm hoping to be there too.

I don't have the Lbody anymore, sadly. :(
This is a future conversion for the Baroness (k-body)
She's running and on her feet with new shoes, front suspension, and T2 again :)
I finished her when i found a reliable daily D, my new one owner 89 2.2TBI Tona (manual) :banaride: