PDA

View Full Version : TIII Cylinder Head

rapomcar
06-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I need a cylinder head for my Daytona R/T. Would prefer an uncracked and in good condition, bare or complete. Post if you are willing to part.

Blue Iroc R/T
06-11-2006, 06:54 PM
IMo, you would be better off getting a head that has already been weld repaired. That way you are more assured that it won't crack. The original head cracked on my R/T and it was replaced by a local Dodge Dealer with a BRAND NEW $4000 head with the aluminium plugs. Here are pics on the new head after 18,000 miles:
http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/blue_rt_head

Before I get my cracked one weld repaired, I am going to have the head Ultrasonic Tested to get an actual thickness of the web where it cracked and also have it x-rayed to see if I can determine why they are cracking. I have a theory that doesn't match with any of the common theroies. But, until I get my old one tested, I won't know for sure.
Just my 2 cents.

rapomcar
06-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Blue Iroc R/T what you are saying then is that once the head is welded it will not crack again? I know very little about welding just using some logic for example with welding basically no additional amount of metal is added to the crack thus leaving that area with the same amount of metal. What would stop the head from cracking again in this area?

r00tcause
06-12-2006, 08:12 PM
IMo, you would be better off getting a head that has already been weld repaired. That way you are more assured that it won't crack. The original head cracked on my R/T and it was replaced by a local Dodge Dealer with a BRAND NEW $4000 head with the aluminium plugs. Here are pics on the new head after 18,000 miles:
http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/blue_rt_head

Before I get my cracked one weld repaired, I am going to have the head Ultrasonic Tested to get an actual thickness of the web where it cracked and also have it x-rayed to see if I can determine why they are cracking. I have a theory that doesn't match with any of the common theroies. But, until I get my old one tested, I won't know for sure.
Just my 2 cents.

I am sure a lot of people would like to know why they crack so easy!!

Blue Iroc R/T
06-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Blue Iroc R/T what you are saying then is that once the head is welded it will not crack again? I know very little about welding just using some logic for example with welding basically no additional amount of metal is added to the crack thus leaving that area with the same amount of metal. What would stop the head from cracking again in this area?

That is correct. I am saying that once the head it weld repaired, it will not crack again. Since all of them seem to crack in the same location, between the center core plug and the #3 spark plug. When they weld repair it, they grind the crack area and then fill in that area with aluminium weld, making somewhat of a build up that reinforces that area. I have added a couple of pic to this gallery that show the head that I just installed after it was weld repaired. http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/blue_rt_head These pics make it look like there are a lot of pin holes in the weld area, but it really is a solid repair.
My theory is that when they poured the casting, the molten metal didn't flow properly into the mold in this one area, causing the casting to have a thin spot. I believe if I can prove this with UT and X-ray, that a person could assume that it is thin and add some epoxy or JB Weld in this area BEFORE it cracks. The additional material would re-inforce the area and prevent cracking.
Note, The head does need to be resurface AFTER welding to ensure a flat surface.