PDA

View Full Version : radio popping?

strang3majik
05-31-2010, 03:15 AM
For some reason, one day, my radio in my Omni just started popping. You can still hear the music, but, it will just have a pop pop pop sound over it. Sometimes it will go away, then, it will come back.

I have no idea what is causing it. I put new plugs on the back of the radio since the originals were kinda crummy, tried chasing the wires, but, didn't see anything. I tried 6 different stock Chrysler stereos, all the same thing.

Anyone ever have this problem and have a suggestion? Its driving me nuts...lol

raccoon
05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
do you get the popping with the engine off?

my guess if you dont have a short behind the deck its in the door jams i would bet. one of the leads to the speaker has probably rubbed bear and is grounding.

strang3majik
05-31-2010, 12:05 PM
yeah, it pops when the key is on, or in the acc position. Engine running and not running.

And, I checked all the speaker connections, being theres only two...lol The driver's side had a small spot where a mouse chewed it so I cut that piece out and replaced it, still no better.

raccoon
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
well then, aside from swapping the dash harness with a unmolested one, you could run new speaker wires.

Dusty_Duster
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
well then, aside from swapping the dash harness with a unmolested one, you could run new speaker wires.

+1

You're probably getting an intermittent short and/or ground. Just run all new speaker wires. And since you're running all new wires, you can upgrade to a larger gauge for better sound quality in the event you ever want to upgrade the system.

JohnnyIroc
06-01-2010, 02:20 PM
you probably already checked but it could be the black wire (ignition ground) IIRC
my problem was it would play music but was very quiet and squeaked the ground was just sitting there unplugged all i did was ground it with the engine ground till i grabbed one of the right connectors and its worked fine since

strang3majik
06-02-2010, 11:00 AM
well...I did just run all new speaker wires. I just went with 18 gauge, and ran it all behind the dash rught next to the original stuff, into the doors, split the stock wiring up (the fronts and rears from the stereo were combined since there was no rear speakers) and I ran dedicated wires to the front to doors, and dedicated wires to the rear doors where I'll be using these mini really loud speakers I got out of the door panel of a BMW :p

So, once I get it all back together, I'll let everyone know. But, I also found my leak whilst having the dash out...so, I'm dealing with that simaltaneously...lol

But, if its not speaker wires, it has to be a ground I'm sure.

I think it turned out nice though...honestly, you can't tell I did anything.

strang3majik
06-04-2010, 12:43 AM
well...rewiring all the speakers fixed it.

But, now...my left front speaker and dash speaker don't work. The wierd thing is, I wired those two together since there is no center speaker dedicated wires from the stock stereo. Any ideas?

At least theres no more popping :p

strang3majik
06-04-2010, 01:41 AM
welp...problem solved completley. Turned out the front/rear/left/right speaker control thing was bad in that stereo. Tried another and all the speakers work and sound great.

I'm now a happy camper.