PDA

View Full Version : 87 2.2 to 2.5

Murphy
06-10-2006, 05:34 PM
I have a 87 shelby Z with a messed up crank and rod. I am thinking about converting to car to 2.5 if i replace the crank, rods and pistons. I know on the CB its a matter of crank and pistons, but on non CB, the 2.5's came with a differnt block(tall block) than the 2.2's right? would i be able to use an 87 2.2 block with a tall block crank, and CB 2.5 pistons?

thank you

89acclaim
06-10-2006, 08:51 PM
The 2.5's came with a tall bock it was 12mm taller than the early 2.2's and commonblock. I have heard of someone making a 2.2 early bock into a 2.5, though it did take some finageling. Why wouldn't you swap in a 2.5T or rebuild a 2.2T? Heck even the early 84-85 T1 was a strong engine. Heck you might be able to get a 89 parts car and do a 2.5T, smec, and dual pivot K-frame swap. Good bang for your buck.:thumb:

Daniel Merrill

GLHNSLHT2
06-11-2006, 11:51 AM
you'll want to go with a commonblock. It'll make it much easier. All your other stuff bolts right on with the waterpump requiring just a small notch in the oil pan. One thing you'll need is a custom computer to get you the right amount of fuel. +20's weren't enough when I did it. After converting to smec and running Dcal where I can tune the +40's myself I'm now actually seeing signs of fuel on the plugs after 3-4 years of them being pure white all the time. But you will LOVE the 2.5 in that big heavy Z. It was thee Best mod I did to mine. Really makes driving it easier. And it was faster than the 2.2 on top end with less boost. Revved higher too. That 2 piece on it really rocks. It's quieter out the exhaust as well.