PDA

View Full Version : Turbo II charge temps

iTurbo
06-10-2006, 04:26 PM
OK, let's analyze charge temps now!

On my Shelby Lancer, the charge temps react somewhat different than I would expect. First of all, it's hotter in the intake manifold than I would have guessed. Charge temps are consistently ~30'F higher than the ambient temp. I'm using the battery temp sensor as an indicator of ambient temp BTW.

The higher temps seem to be more related to the heat soak of the engine and NOT due to the boost level. For example, if my car is warmed up and I shut it off and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, the charge temps are really high when I start the car back up. They will slowly go back down, but driving around in town they are consistently in the 100-120'F range with ambient temps in the 80s.

Interestingly, if I go to WOT (18 psi), the charge temps will actually drop! Even at the end of the run, they are on the way down. I would have thought the stock TII intercooler would heat soak and cause the temps to rise but this is not the case. Apparently the stock TII intercooler cools fairly well (at speed), even if the flow isn't all that great.

What can I do to reduce the heat soak of the intake manifold? It is much worse than I thought. I'm surprised no one out there has made a phenolic spacer to fit between the plenum and runners for the 2pc intake manifold. I would think that that would greately.

iTurbo
06-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Here are some more details on the setup in my SL.

It has stock Turbo II engine/head/cam/manifolds/turbo/intercooler. It has 3" exhaust, no cat, and Ultraflo muffler. The intercooler hoses have been replaced with mandrel bent aluminum. The air box and filter have been replaced with 3" mandrel bent aluminum with a large open-element air filter that sits next to the battery just behind the intercooler.

LynX853
06-10-2006, 06:14 PM
it gets hotter after sitting for 10 minutes cause the coolant in the head is no longer circulating and thus becomming super heated. with the manifold bolted right on to the head with some bolt holes acutally going into water jackets, a heating up after 10 minutes is common.

what im doing is having the exhaust ports of my head ceramic coated, getting a heat shield, not blanket, but a shield that actually bolts to the turbo. also a thermal blanket for the bottom/back of the intake manifold... or get it ceramic coated if you have the money.
and with a little more money get the whole exhaust side ceramic coated.

will it work? well it cant hurt. I know that KJ (onefastbaron) dosnt have any heat shielding or anything, but has an alky injection system, and after he installed it and went for a run the manifold was actually cool to the touch.

tryingbe
06-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Fuel cools the intake charge.

LynX853
06-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Fuel cools the intake charge.
:thumb:

yup good job! spark plugs also need electricity to work!

ssheen
06-11-2006, 12:17 PM
My temps with the Stock IC and stock hoses other that where the top where the stock air box was, seem to match yours at 20c/70F after bleeding off the heat from being heat soaked. I have seen mine heat soak up to 160F. Going through my logs I see 70F on the highway on a 15C day. I seem to have been too lazy to do logs with the new IC.

LynX853
06-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I ordered a temp probe for my digital multi meter, and the lines should be long enough to have them taking temp with my multimeter sitting on the dash while driving. I definetly wanna see temps on everything, and how well things are doing. when i get this info ill definetly post it. its gonna be a little while before it comes in though

turbo Scamp
06-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Move the sensor to the intercooler plumbing, before the throttle body and then scan it. :eyebrows: I have a question about this very subject on this thread. V

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5114

I don't have a scanner to see if moving it will have positive effects, though.

What are your thoughts on moving the sensor?

- Bill