PDA

View Full Version : SDAC-20 Hotel Reservations Reminder

sdac guy
05-24-2010, 10:27 AM
The block of rooms set aside for SDAC-20 expires on Wednesday this week (May 26). On that date all rooms in the block that have not been reserved will be released to the public. If you haven't made your reservations yet, please do so before Wednesday May 26.

Thanks,
Barry

22shelby
05-24-2010, 10:36 AM
1 room reserved here..... she tried to tell me they were all filled up... i said no your not... then i heard a guy in the backround saing keep booking the SDAC guys.....got our from sunay to wed, but most likely stay'n wed night too....

sdac guy
05-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for posting up that info. :thumb:

If anyone else has any trouble at all with the person taking your reservation, please let me know.

Barry

2.216VTurbo
05-24-2010, 12:40 PM
And would this thread be a good place for the hotel contact info and Promo code Barry?;)

BadAssPerformance
05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Info here:

http://www.sdac.org/info/events.htm

sdac guy
05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
And would this thread be a good place for the hotel contact info and Promo code Barry?;)Good idea Alan! :thumb:

While that info is in another thread, no problem having it here too.

Clarion Inn and Conference Center
888-528-6738

Mention you are with the Shelby Dodge Auto Club to get the discounted room rate of $85 per night.

Full details about the hotel are in this thread:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46899

Barry

LaserXT1986
05-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Done, reserved, and had no problems when I called.

FYI....the website states that the wireless internet is:

-Complimentary Wireless Internet Access in lobby and atrium

-High speed wireless and hardwired internet to all rooms

I questioned whether the rooms were also free (as I have experienced this before where the lobby area is free but in the rooms you need to pay for it). They said the rooms were indeed, free....after a bit of hesitation. I've been down this road before, that's why I asked.

Still, knowing what I know of the past, even getting a person's name and position does nothing to help dispute the facts on check-in. Does anyone know for sure if it "is" indeed, free in the rooms?

sdac guy
05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
I intend to call the sales manager on Thursday to see how we did with our room block. If I remember, I will ask her then.

Barry

2.216VTurbo
05-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Done:thumb: Thanks for the reminder, now to the flight arrangements...

turboshad
05-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Booked mine. If anyone is also coming alone and wants to split some costs then let me know. I'm currently by myself and wouldn't mind a roomate to share expenses. :thumb:

Here's hoping I have an engine in the car in 4 weeks. :p

sdac guy
05-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I talked to the hotel sales manager this morning and we are doing well enough with the room count that we will probably avoid any additional costs. But reservations are low compared to other conventions we've held. We currently don't have even half the rooms we booked last year or at SDAC-18. I think some of that is because so many folks are local to the area and don't need rooms, at least I hope that is the case. :D

Internet service in the guest rooms is also free. :thumb:

Barry

LaserXT1986
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I talked to the hotel sales manager this morning and we are doing well enough with the room count that we will probably avoid any additional costs. But reservations are low compared to other conventions we've held. We currently don't have even half the rooms we booked last year or at SDAC-18. I think some of that is because so many folks are local to the area and don't need rooms, at least I hope that is the case. :D

Could be that, could also be that more people are "rooming up" to save money during a still dismal economy (we'll have 3 in our room, Ean is having 3 in his). So that's 6 attendees showing up as 2 rooms, for example.

Cool! Thanks Barry! :)

22shelby
05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Could be that, could also be that more people are "rooming up" to save money during a still dismal economy (we'll have 3 in our room, Ean is having 3 in his). So that's 6 attendees showing up as 2 rooms, for example.

i too have 3 roomin in our 1 room....97 bucks a night is pricy, however w/ some crafty thinking and an extra air mattress... it comes to this....

"Top Fuel" Bender
05-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I think a lot of locals are still getting a room
but they usually book together as well regardless

BadAssPerformance
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
I talked to the hotel sales manager this morning and we are doing well enough with the room count that we will probably avoid any additional costs.

Cool!

Barry

Sweet! ... will the wireless reach out to the parking lot? ;)

bradp
05-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I wish I were booking a room but my wife is going to St Louis for work that week and her dad (my father-in-law) may have to have a triple by-pass too so she might have to come back for his surgery. So I have 4 kids to take care of (16, 12,5 & 8 mos) Hopefully next year is back to normal.

J&G_BlueGLH
05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Booked our room tonight. We were holding off since we were debating on if we were going to travel back and forth since we are about an hour and a half away or stay at the hotel...

Only trouble we had when making the reservation was I called the toll-free number first and could not understand the guy 1 bit... could barely speak English. So I called back the local number and talked to someone... when I told them who we were with I got the $85/night rate right away. Not bad for as nice as the hotel is, and I did see it in person!!!

2.216VTurbo
05-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Flight arrangements done now too. Flying into BWI about 4pm on Friday the 25th. What time we meeting up Carroll? I could rent an SUV with a tow hitch in case the GLH RT needs a little help getting to Hagerstown:p

rx2mazda
05-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Flight arrangements done now too. Flying into BWI about 4pm on Friday the 25th. What time we meeting up Carroll? I could rent an SUV with a tow hitch in case the GLH RT needs a little help getting to Hagerstown:p

Call me so we can get some beer and crab cakes at G+M. Southwest Airlines? Give me your address and i'll fedex you some(will 50 do?:D)free drink coupons. You just cant tell anyone you know me cause I need my job!:lol:

oh, BTW....the GLH-R/T is in Philly :nod:

BlueBaron
05-27-2010, 01:52 AM
I originally looked the hotel up on the web to see some pics of the rooms. I looked at the reservation info there, and it stated $85.99/night.
Wait, didn't the SDAC site say the discount rate was $85? Way to haggle Barry! :p

But when I actually called the hotel, I think I was told $99/night. I really was quoted that. I'm used to arriving at the SDAC location late at night, so I book the Thursday, so I'm there to see most arrive on Friday. That made for a glitch in their computer system and it wanted me to pay $99 for the week. I pointed out what it should be, and the woman talked to someone who knew about the SDAC block.

Quickly, all was well. She gave me the discount for the earlier day also.
Well... all was well till she took my billing address. Their system doesn't know people own houses outside the USA.

black86glhs
05-27-2010, 02:44 AM
I will be getting a room late if I can make it, so I will most likely be paying the extra .99 cents....damn.;)
Need to get my Olds sold so I can go.

sdac guy
05-27-2010, 05:53 AM
I originally looked the hotel up on the web to see some pics of the rooms. I looked at the reservation info there, and it stated $85.99/night.
Wait, didn't the SDAC site say the discount rate was $85? Way to haggle Barry! :p

But when I actually called the hotel, I think I was told $99/night. I really was quoted that. I'm used to arriving at the SDAC location late at night, so I book the Thursday, so I'm there to see most arrive on Friday. That made for a glitch in their computer system and it wanted me to pay $99 for the week. I pointed out what it should be, and the woman talked to someone who knew about the SDAC block.

Quickly, all was well. She gave me the discount for the earlier day also.
Well... all was well till she took my billing address. Their system doesn't know people own houses outside the USA.

Yeah, typical hotel desk folks ...

I know you're just poking a little fun about the "deal" we got from them, no problem. But there isn't any haggling anymore, they offer a contract and we either accept it or stay someplace else. We paid the straight rate at the Drawbridge last year also.

Sometimes they might budge on price, but it is getting rarer. The Marriott in Detroit for SDAC-18 did knock their price down over $20 a night.

Hmmm ... Craig brokered that deal. I may have stumbled on something here .... let a Canadian do the bargaining .... :lol: Now if we could just get the reservation system working to accept those funny postal codes they have up north. :D

Seriously though, in the end, what caused us the most concern over the last couple weeks was the possibility we would end up paying for rooms that never got reserved. And I am happy to report we are past that hurdle now.

Barry

speeddemon
05-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Good news that we are off the hook for unused rooms.

The problem with that area of the country is that there is little competition. All of the hotels in the area that are capable of handling our group don't really need the business - they will be full if we show up or not.

Lots of competition in Detroit and not the most popular spot for tourists so it is easier to get a deal.

1FastCSX289
05-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Good news that we are off the hook for unused rooms.

Sweet! That is good news. :nod:

"Top Fuel" Bender
05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
WOW, they are being hardasses there
told me they didn't have rooms
Me: you sold all your rooms since yesterday?
I have some at the regular rate
Me: I can talk with your manager?
I am the desk manager
Me:the contract isn't for sdac members if there is rooms available? the cutoff date was just for guarantee reserved rooms to be available?
oh wait I don't have fri. open but the rest of the days are o.k.
me: and the rate?
oh o.k. I'll be nice

I would've got them earlier but waiting to see if Hoagie was still going or not (he's back in the hospital btw)

cordes
05-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah, typical hotel desk folks ...

I know you're just poking a little fun about the "deal" we got from them, no problem. But there isn't any haggling anymore, they offer a contract and we either accept it or stay someplace else. We paid the straight rate at the Drawbridge last year also.

Sometimes they might budge on price, but it is getting rarer. The Marriott in Detroit for SDAC-18 did knock their price down over $20 a night.

Hmmm ... Craig brokered that deal. I may have stumbled on something here .... let a Canadian do the bargaining .... :lol: Now if we could just get the reservation system working to accept those funny postal codes they have up north. :D

Seriously though, in the end, what caused us the most concern over the last couple weeks was the possibility we would end up paying for rooms that never got reserved. And I am happy to report we are past that hurdle now.

Barry

Barry, we didn't pay the going rate last year at the drawbridge. I called and they wanted $135(?) per night. The lowest they would go was the club's negotiated rate. Whether you had to haggle or not, I could not have gotten a better deal than the club did. :thumb: