PDA

View Full Version : Dual fuel tank system

mock_glh
05-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm wanting to do a dual tank system for my Omni. I've been looking at selector valves, particularly the Pollak type:
http://www.carparts.com/POLLAK-ELECTRIC-FUEL-TANK-SELECTOR-VALVES/GP_2005712_N__10618.car?zmam=15972150&zmas=17&zmac=99&zmap=10618-2005712

My concern is their ability to tolerate the high fuel pressure (I have 45 psi base pressure + 25 or more psi boost) This valve is rated at 65 psi. My question is, has anyone out there used one of these successfully?

I normally mix race fuel with pump gas but then i waste much of it on street driving. With 2 tanks I could run on pure race fuel at the track and pump gas on the street.

zin
05-24-2010, 05:31 PM
You might just want to consider something like this:

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/product-details.php?id=1488

I think Nitro Dave had a similar AL unit with a choice of FI or Carb type pump...

Then just add some quick connects to the fuel lines (I prefer dry-break style), and you are good to go! If the disconnects are under the hood, you'll only have the fuel in the rail diluting the race gas, so not too big a deal, likely less than with the diverter valve. Best of all, no worries about a leaky valve!

Mike

PS They call it a supplemental system, but there is no reason you couldn't use it for the engine in place of a nitrous system...

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Perfect thread as I am doing the same, :thumb:

I would say 65psi is too low, I bet it would leak.

zin
05-24-2010, 07:24 PM
On a side note, we (NOS) used to have issues with the early Lightenings not switching properly when the in-line booster pump was installed. The valve would stick in one position, pulling fuel from one tank and putting it in the other !! That wasn't a pressure issue, but more volume...

Mike

mock_glh
05-25-2010, 11:04 AM
After submitting the first post it occurred to me that both pumps have anti-return valves in them, meaning I could simply "Y" the outputs together and eliminate the selector valve for the pressure side. A simple 3-port valve could be used for the return system. A DPDT relay would switch things over,with the default setting to the stock tank.

turbovanmanČ
05-29-2010, 03:19 PM
After submitting the first post it occurred to me that both pumps have anti-return valves in them, meaning I could simply "Y" the outputs together and eliminate the selector valve for the pressure side. A simple 3-port valve could be used for the return system. A DPDT relay would switch things over,with the default setting to the stock tank.

So your saying no switching valve, just use the pump as the restrictor when not in use? Interesting.

Not sure if I'd trust the pumps, what about a one way check valve?

mock_glh
05-31-2010, 02:20 AM
So your saying no switching valve, just use the pump as the restrictor when not in use? Interesting.

Not sure if I'd trust the pumps, what about a one way check valve?

These pumps (Bosch) have a removable external check valve that looks pretty reliable. I think they'll be ok.