PDA

View Full Version : My black glht

cordes
05-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Many of you know that my car hasn't been boosting right for several years now and that an electrical issue is most likely to blame. As a result I have decided to remove the whole harness and redo it. I will also take the time to make a hybrid trans if I have the opportunity before SDAC. This will probably be the last horrah for this car since the rust is getting pretty bad.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/897/omni4.JPG
Wiring harness removed.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/897/harness.JPG
The offending harness

I also took the time to use two old axles to make some nubs which would allow me to roll the car around the garage with ease while not having to tie up axles.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/897/medium/axle.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/897/medium/axle2.JPG

BLUEBALL
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Drive it til the k frame rips from the unibody man,lol. Or hit open track day at a circle track before scrappin body. Go with the "checker flag or crash" mentality:nod:. Have fun at SDAC:thumb:

cordes
05-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Drive it til the k frame rips from the unibody man,lol. Or hit open track day at a circle track before scrappin body. Go with the "checker flag or crash" mentality:nod:. Have fun at SDAC:thumb:

I may end up going until something gives. I looked at the driver's side frame rail yesterday and it wasn't looking too healthy. I'm glad that I have the blue car, but I feel like I need to do right by this one since I haven't made it go any faster than when I first got it.

blk86trbo
05-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Good luck with the project Brian! In the past I've driven these suckers with big holes in the floor patched and insulation stuffed in holes in the bottom of the doors...whatever it takes to keep these northern rust bucket daily driver cars on the road. It really irks me to see decent shells in the junkyard, so I drive them till there's nothing left. Great tidbit about the axles...keep us updated! :thumb:

cordes
05-28-2010, 09:04 PM
I worked on the harness a bit tonight. I took off most of the old friction tape and such. Many of the connections are much worse than previously thought. Note that even I thought they were horrible before I dug into it this evening.

Hopefully some new connectors will have me back on the road in a bit.

minigts
05-28-2010, 11:22 PM
lol The best image I can remember of this harness is the ONE STRAND OF COPPER connected to the coolant temp sensor. I'm sitting there checking over stuff, look down and see literally one strand holding one of the wires in place. Cordes just looks down and bust out laughing!! LOL Man, good luck with that stuff. Terminal Supply Company has a good selection of factory connectors, so I'd definitely look there for some of the factory plugs and elsewhere for the bulk connector we discussed. :thumb:

cordes
05-29-2010, 12:29 AM
lol The best image I can remember of this harness is the ONE STRAND OF COPPER connected to the coolant temp sensor. I'm sitting there checking over stuff, look down and see literally one strand holding one of the wires in place. Cordes just looks down and bust out laughing!! LOL Man, good luck with that stuff. Terminal Supply Company has a good selection of factory connectors, so I'd definitely look there for some of the factory plugs and elsewhere for the bulk connector we discussed. :thumb:

Thanks for the tips. The coolant temp wire had many single stranded friends to keep him company. :eyebrows:

cordes
06-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Today I ordered up all of the connectors to do the wiring harness. Hopefully that will be done this weekend. I'm going to use a Neon PDC and relay the headlights, and fog lights at the same time.

I also ported out the 2.5" SV which is on the car. I hogged it out quite a bit as a 3" pipe almost fits into it now. I doubt it will do that much for me, but every little bit adds up I suppose.

minigts
06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Today I ordered up all of the connectors to do the wiring harness. Hopefully that will be done this weekend. I'm going to use a Neon PDC and relay the headlights, and fog lights at the same time.

I also ported out the 2.5" SV which is on the car. I hogged it out quite a bit as a 3" pipe almost fits into it now. I doubt it will do that much for me, but every little bit adds up I suppose.

So where did you end up buying the electrical stuff? If you ordered factory connectors please post the part numbers. I may end up buying some for the LM and a few others.

minigts
06-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I forgot to ask that you post a picture of the box. I remember the Neon one not being small. Just curious how bug it is and where you will put it.

cordes
06-07-2010, 06:28 PM
So where did you end up buying the electrical stuff? If you ordered factory connectors please post the part numbers. I may end up buying some for the LM and a few others.

I forgot to ask that you post a picture of the box. I remember the Neon one not being small. Just curious how bug it is and where you will put it.

I ended up getting a lot of the stuff from Mouser and some of it from Ballenger motor sports. Honestly, I had a hard time finding stuff that would all work together and be reasonable price wise. We will see how it turns out in the end.

Here is a pic of the PDC from the Neon. I know there is smaller stuff out there, but this is a Mopar piece and it has a lot of relay spots in it. I know I will be using at least 5 of the 8 slots and I don't even have AC.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/897/pdc.JPG

minigts
06-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Where are you going to mount it? I wanted something like that one that had a lot of relays, but it seems the smaller ones don't want to have enough relays.

1FastCSX289
06-07-2010, 10:05 PM

What? One strand isnt enough? Its FIIIINE! :lol:

Looking good, Cordes. Is it gonna make it to SDAC this year? The shadow you brought last year was sweet (like waaay sweet), but id like to see something with boost. (Or was that shadow a turbo?.....but you just didnt use it ;))

cordes
06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Where are you going to mount it? I wanted something like that one that had a lot of relays, but it seems the smaller ones don't want to have enough relays.

I think I'm going to put it behind the battery like it is in the Neons. I will probably have to trim the power module case, but I think that will look OK with the PDC sitting right behind it.

What? One strand isnt enough? Its FIIIINE! :lol:

Looking good, Cordes. Is it gonna make it to SDAC this year? The shadow you brought last year was sweet (like waaay sweet), but id like to see something with boost. (Or was that shadow a turbo?.....but you just didnt use it ;))

I'm hoping to have it there. I will be going down to the wire though for sure.

The Shadow is a factory turbo ES car. If you will recall everyone was poking fun at me for it having a 568, ported pieces, 3" exhaust, big turbo, etc. while never seeing positive manifold pressure. :p

ETA: No pun intended in regard to my down to the wire comment.

minigts
06-07-2010, 10:31 PM
I think I'm going to put it behind the battery like it is in the Neons. I will probably have to trim the power module case, but I think that will look OK with the PDC sitting right behind it.

I'm hoping to have it there. I will be going down to the wire though for sure.

The Shadow is a factory turbo ES car. If you will recall everyone was poking fun at me for it having a 568, ported pieces, 3" exhaust, big turbo, etc. while never seeing positive manifold pressure. :p

ETA: No pun intended in regard to my down to the wire comment.

Man you got all kinds of time, you can do it! I can't wait to see all of the strands of copper with friends to do their job! :D

cordes
06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Man you got all kinds of time, you can do it! I can't wait to see all of the strands of copper with friends to do their job! :D

You and me both. When I was actually able to hit 12PSI traction was nonexistent until midway through third gear. Those were the days. :)

minigts
07-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Ok, you're back. Now let's see some progress on the car! I'd like to see it running for the Cheese Festival. We also need to get some people there for the car show. :D

cordes
07-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Ok, you're back. Now let's see some progress on the car! I'd like to see it running for the Cheese Festival. We also need to get some people there for the car show. :D

I really need to get my projects going. I was forced to spend about 6 hours at Menards today though. That didn't help at all. Neither will all the work required for the stuff I picked up there. :(

black86glhs
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
I think I'm going to put it behind the battery like it is in the Neons. I will probably have to trim the power module case, but I think that will look OK with the PDC sitting right behind it.Kind of like this?

minigts
07-10-2010, 12:29 AM
I really need to get my projects going. I was forced to spend about 6 hours at Menards today though. That didn't help at all. Neither will all the work required for the stuff I picked up there. :(

Let me know if you want me to come up and help. I have all kinds of reasons to not be home now. :)

cordes
07-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Made some good progress tonight. This should be a reality by the end of the week.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/897/305fd.JPG

ETA: What a great way to own pg. 2.

cordes
07-31-2010, 10:03 PM
I put together the trans tonight. All I have left to do is to install the diff. I need to have the ring gear machined still too though. By the middle of next week everything should be ready to bolt into the car engine and trans wise.

I also have the new wiring harness about half way in. Just need to tidy it up a bit and do the TII conversion on it.

minigts
08-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Cool man. You driving it to the Dream Cruise or which car are you taking? Post some pics if you get a chance.

cordes
08-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Cool man. You driving it to the Dream Cruise or which car are you taking? Post some pics if you get a chance.

If I can get the car done in time I will take it up there for sure. It's flat enough on the way that I should break the 40mpg mark.

Once Joy finds out where the camera is I will take some more pics.

I would like to thank DJ for posting the main shaft gear swap in his build thread. If you follow his lead making a hybrid trans is super easy.

cordes
09-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Here is a picture of the car as it left my home a couple of weeks ago. It's almost back on the street with a new owner who has been wanting one for a long time.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/892/medium/P7230102.JPG

shadow88
09-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Anyone who still owns a ramcharger is a glutton for punishment. a perfect match.

cordes
09-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Anyone who still owns a ramcharger is a glutton for punishment. a perfect match.

Ha, ha! That thing actually goes really well. IIRC he paid $500 for it a year or two ago. It's been a cheap ride so far for sure.

PunKid
09-24-2013, 10:18 AM
I miss my old ramcharger