PDA

View Full Version : Fuel table to adjust for timing?

tryingbe
05-23-2010, 11:21 AM
I have 20% injectors, when I plugged the ETC to time the car, the car dies immediately due to richness.

I'm using "89_T1_MTX_3-Bar_SwBst_CE_+20" currently, which table do I adjust so I can time the engine?

Thanks.

cordes
05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm confused. Are you trying to adjust the timing or the fuel, or both? Why the older cal?

tryingbe
05-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm trying to adjust the physical ignition timing for the car to 12 degree. But I can't do that when the engine stall due to richness when ever I unplug the ETC.

So, I'm asking what's the name of the fuel table in the "89_T1_MTX_3-Bar_SwBst_CE_+20" I need to adjust so I can do the physical timing without the engine stalling on me.

My reason with using a older cal is that they are proven to work well with stock components. I have mostly stock components other than the 3 bar map and 20% injectors. I want to learn and get familiar about how the stock ECU and programming of the stock cal works before I move to a newer cal.

cordes
05-23-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm trying to adjust the physical ignition timing for the car to 12 degree. But I can't do that when the engine stall due to richness when ever I unplug the ETC.

So, I'm asking what's the name of the fuel table in the "89_T1_MTX_3-Bar_SwBst_CE_+20" I need to adjust so I can do the physical timing without the engine stalling on me.

My reason with using a older cal is that they are proven to work well with stock components. I have mostly stock components other than the 3 bar map and 20% injectors. I want to learn and get familiar about how the stock ECU and programming of the stock cal works before I move to a newer cal.

Part of your rich problem could be because it is an older cal. Some of them had trouble with cold starting and being rich. I'm not sure what caused it on all of them. I believe that there was an issue with the attempt at having the peftble go from 0-150% VE though.

You could turn down the starting fuel from coolant temp table, or fuel baseline from map to start.

How rich is it running? Even a stock cal can stall out when setting the timing if the base idle is off, or the timing is way out.

ShelGame
05-23-2010, 02:27 PM
The PEFTBL scaling wasn't done in the older cals. I used a +20, 3-bar 2.5 cal (nearly the same as the one your using) for 3 years in my race car and never had that type of issue. It may be that your timing is too far out to even run with the CTS unplugged. Maybe leave it plugged in, then crank the timing around until the idle rises. Then unplug it and check the timing...

Aries_Turbo
05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
you can also hold the throttle open when you pull the connector off. then very slowly, close the throttle and let it stabilize that way.

Brian

1BADVAN
05-26-2010, 12:15 PM
ALL of the cars i have tried the turbonator cals do the same thing! As soon as the CTS is unplugged it dies. Idk ifit goes rich or what but 99% of the time i hear a relay switch and the engine just shuts off. I wonder if the computer shuts down the fuel pump or something

larryB
05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
There is a table called RICHSA, description is "open loop enrich factor when setting basic timing". I have no idea if it will help with your problem. But I guess you could always go back to the original setting if you change it and it doesn't work.

ShelGame
05-26-2010, 09:43 PM
ALL of the cars i have tried the turbonator cals do the same thing! As soon as the CTS is unplugged it dies. Idk ifit goes rich or what but 99% of the time i hear a relay switch and the engine just shuts off. I wonder if the computer shuts down the fuel pump or something

Which turbonators cals? It's updated pretty regularly. Most recently in March, I think. FWIW, I use it my van and didn't have this happen when I timed it...

1BADVAN
05-26-2010, 11:26 PM
ALL TYPES my brother is running the newest version and his still does it?? Any Ideas on what to try?? I might try what larryB said

bakes
05-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Mabye the AIS steps (MIN idle flow) are set to low should be set to 7 to 10 steps full temp.

turbovanmanČ
05-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Some do it, some don't, its random. Just rev it up and let it idle down, slowly.