PDA

View Full Version : bov venting?

shadow88
06-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm not interested in having everyone hear my b.o.v.

So, here's the silly question, can I vent the bov back into the inlet side of the turbo?

I'm pretty sure that's how the factory ones worked, but those parts are long gone, and I don't know of any stock airbox cars in my area.

Whorse
06-10-2006, 12:35 PM
That's how it's done on my friend's Eclipse, and it's an aftermarket setup with a Greddy.

The S is Silent
06-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Any car with a MAF has to vent back into the intake track. Everything that goes through the MAF sensor has to go into the engine, or else the car will run like crap. Some DSM owners (the clueless ones) put un-recycled BOV's on their car to get the sound, and wonder why they stall when they shift.

So yes, there is no problem at all with routing the BOV to the inlet side of the turbo.

LynX853
06-10-2006, 02:35 PM
it actually depends on how your MAF is set up,some systems you dont have to recycle back into the intake, and some you do.. the blowoff valves which route it back into the intake are also known as bypass valves, and work exactly the same way but just route it back. some bypass valves are made to be open under vac so you have better throttle responce instead of the motor trying to take air through all that piping, IC and turbo, which isnt a bad Idea at all. if you do a search on D valves or dump valves theres some people takeing home depot parts and making a valve which is open under vac so they have better throttle responce, and the concensious is that they do work, but because its a quick plumb part they dont last as long. apperently porshe turbos have a similar system but they dont use home depot parts. remember though the D-valve isnt ment to take the place off the blow off/bypass valve.

i know (cause i used to use one) that if you get a stock bosch bypass valve off a turbo saab they are open under vac, but also leak boost HORRIBLY. with the adjustable aftermarket blowoffs/bypass valves sometimes you can make them be open durring vac too. I have an RFL which is adjustable and used to have it so its open durring vac, the only problem is that the air was un filtered and it whould somewhat whistle... but it sounded pretty cool.

one thing taking into consideration by routing the blowoff back to the intake is that the air thats being blown off is gonna be hot, so it might put warmer air back into your intake system, will it really affect performance? probobly not, but maybe. and if your anal about everything you would care, like if you have a true CAI system. also our cars are speed density so there isnt really a point. I think the best thing possible for performance wise is a bypass which opens under vac with a breather filter for better throttle.

if your going for a sleeper and are trying to muffle the blowoff then routing it to the intake is Ideal. just trying to throw out ideas and such, good luck, always love a fellow lebaron lover.

-Adrian

WLKivett
06-14-2006, 10:32 AM
I ran a small flexable hose from my BOV to the stock TII air box. I just glassed in a nipple on the engine side of the air box. Works like a champ, can not hear it at all.

Thou with my new intercooler set up (double thick core) I'll have to put the BOV on the lower intercooler pipe and route the BOV vent into the bottom of the air box.

It alway seams like when you do one thing to help performace you've got to rework 3 others to make it all fit and look right.

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

tryingbe
06-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Put filter on the BOV, you will barely hear it after that. The filter will muffle the sound.

PentastarTurbo
06-18-2006, 11:22 PM
tap your airbox if ya still have one.. use some pvc or something thats about the same size as the BOV and just run a hose to it so it sucks in clean air at idol.. Wont even hear it when shifting..