PDA

View Full Version : Rear seatbelt mounts leaking

supercrackerbox
05-20-2010, 03:08 AM
It's raining lightly here right now. I stopped at the store after work to grab some groceries, and as I backed out of the parking spot, I got to witness water POURING in where my rear shoulder belts come through the sail panels in my Daytona. There is some sealer spread over the bolt plates in the hatch frame, but clearly it's not doing the trick. Suggestions?

I shudder to think what is happening to my rear floor pans right now . . .

LaserXT1986
05-20-2010, 06:24 AM
It's raining lightly here right now. I stopped at the store after work to grab some groceries, and as I backed out of the parking spot, I got to witness water POURING in where my rear shoulder belts come through the sail panels in my Daytona. There is some sealer spread over the bolt plates in the hatch frame, but clearly it's not doing the trick. Suggestions?

I shudder to think what is happening to my rear floor pans right now . . .

Sounds like the body plug needs to be replaced or re-sealed. Open the hatch. On the passenger side, towards the top, there is a "grommet"/body plug made of rubber, about the size of a quarter if I recall. This is also where the rear wiper washer hose goes through if you have that option. These tend to dry out/shrink/wither away over time. I'd check that first.

On the driver side there is usually one as well for the wiring that goes through the hatch for the brake light (at least on the 86 it's like that).

Hope this helps!

supercrackerbox
05-21-2010, 03:32 AM
Thanks, I'll check that out.

supercrackerbox
05-24-2010, 11:40 AM
All the grommets seem to be intact and in fine shape. None of the wires or tubing are loose, and the rubber sheath that encases them are all good too. However, a large chunk of the sealer that's around the belt mounting plates came off in my hand, so I think that's where its coming from . . .

LaserXT1986
05-24-2010, 12:17 PM
All the grommets seem to be intact and in fine shape. None of the wires or tubing are loose, and the rubber sheath that encases them are all good too. However, a large chunk of the sealer that's around the belt mounting plates came off in my hand, so I think that's where its coming from . . .

Hmmm, never seen that happen on my cars (but I am by far the "be all end all source" lol) but yes, it would make sense.

TurboDan
05-26-2010, 12:17 PM

I've had this happen on my car before, the water was actually coming from the skinny molding that goes between the rear quarter and roof. It's held in with one stud and nut on the inside of the car, so when the sealer fails, the water comes right in and runs down the inside of the car. Unfortunately, in order to fix it, you have to remove the interior quarter trim, remove the nut and then clear out the old sealer and replace it with new stuff. I used some gray RTV, so if any showed it would be the same color as my car. This solved all of the water issues in my car, the hatch area carpet would always be soaked when it rained, and now it's always completely dry. Hope this helps!

-Dan-

supercrackerbox
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Ya know, that makes a lot of sense. When I was looking at the rest of the stuff in that area, I did notice signs of the typical cracking in that seam area.

I always wondered how those come out, now I know!