PDA

View Full Version : L-body beverage holder/console

87glhs
05-19-2010, 07:04 PM
The beverage holder in my console seems to be a free-agent, sliding back and forth as I accelerate and brake.

I've disassembled and it doesn't appear to have any sort of tensioner on it--must have originally depended on friction from the fuzzy liner in the lower compartment of the console.

Anyone else have this issue? Known/tried fixes?

86seeS
05-19-2010, 07:45 PM
mine did the same thing very annoying i took the cup holder out in the end

supercrackerbox
05-20-2010, 03:03 AM
Best I can tell there's a small bump cast into the molding for the tray and it's sliders that wears out over the years. Mine does it too. But if you keep enough junk in there, it won't slide around!

:)

ATaylorRacing
05-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Spill some coke all over it....that worked when I USED to have one in Matchbox.

A sidenote here...the one in the Geo is only good for childrens sippy cups so I removed portions of it and zip tied in the slide out one from the 2001 Dodge minivan that can handle any size of normal drink!

ScottD
05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
I had the same problem in my GLHS. The fix I used was very simple.

I pushed the cup holder all the way forward. I measured the distance between the front of the holder and the console.

I then took a piece of 5/8" heater hose and cut it about a 1/4 inch longer than what I'd measured.

On one end of the heater hose I cut two notches in each side of the end of the hose that were about the size the of the cup holder edge.

Slide the notched end over the cup holder and push the other end down so it makes flat contact with the front of the inside of the console. Keeps the cup holder in place and easy to remove if you have drinks and want to use the cup holder.

87glhs
05-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Seems to be a difficult problem--the console box itself appears to be made as one piece, with side pieces heat-welded on. Don't want to know how they applied that fuzzy material inside, but as thin as it is must have been a spray of some sort.

I'm okay with propping it back out of the way, but was looking for a more permanent restorative fix--hate to replace it, it's otherwise in VG shape.

mark
05-20-2010, 07:18 PM
cut very very thin strips of the fuzzy side of self adhesive velcro and put it in the slots.the longer the strip (one long thin piece would be the best) not the plastic hook side. it probably does not have to be industrial stregnth velcro, you do not want it to thick to make it slide needing a lot of effort.

or maybe just a layer of electrical tape the same way.