PDA

View Full Version : New product suggestions?

LaserXT1986
05-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey all,

Wanted to put this out before SDAC. What all are you still looking/needing to have made for our cars? I am working on a few ideas (still in early stages), as well as trying to still make the Mobil 1 plaques after a failed attempt.

Keep in mind what my machinery/background availability is, and post ideas here:

-2 CNC routers (note, I generally don't get into aluminum or steel products as others have covered this, including Bruce Bender). That said, I may be able to assist designing items for CNC machining depending upon what it is/demand.

-1 CNC engraver

-2 digital printing machines -- 1 large format solvent ink, 1 small format thermal.

-Multiple vinyl cutters

-A warehouse full of woodworking machines (saws, drillpress, bandsaws, etc).

-Spray painting using the Akzo-Nobel paint system (Grip Guard for durability and Grip-Flex for plastics that will flex). I can match virtually any color out there.

-Materials in stock: Medex (Like MDF only better, 1/4", 1/2", 3/4"), PVC sheet (1/8", 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1"), acrylic (1/8", 1/4", 1/2"), Lexan (1/8" and 1/4"), and various foamboards. Also have the ability to get most materials/thicknesses in stock within a day with low minimums.

-Metal laminates: multiple finishes (including the ones that, if I can get it right, will be used for the Mobil 1 plaques).

-Screen printing (generally reserved for much larger quantities as the digital printing is used for smaller runs).

There is more, but this is just to get the ball rolling. I also have access to many suppliers/manufacturers as well in various industries. What do we need? What is the "high demand" items? Post here and I'll do my best to offer input/suggestions/solutions, if possible/feasible!

prepared
05-19-2010, 02:05 PM
1988 P-Body window scrapers. Oh, wait, you can't make those out of wood. :(

LaserXT1986
05-19-2010, 02:12 PM
1988 P-Body window scrapers. Oh, wait, you can't make those out of wood. :(

Well I could but they wouldn't be very effective. :p

Being that Omni-Potent already made a set for the L-body, I'd like to offer the chance to see if he wants to use the same contact/sources to make them for the G and P Bodies. I suppose if he is not interested I could look into it, but I have a feeling there wouldn't be enough interest (plus, on the P-Body, wasn't there multiple styles between the production years?). I know on the G-body, 84-89 was the same, and I think 90-93 was the same. What about the P-Body?

"Top Fuel" Bender
05-19-2010, 02:22 PM
you going to the dv-sdac meet? I've got some ideas
or call me when you get a chance :eyebrows:

135sohc
05-19-2010, 04:23 PM

Being that Omni-Potent already made a set for the L-body, I'd like to offer the chance to see if he wants to use the same contact/sources to make them for the G and P Bodies. I suppose if he is not interested I could look into it, but I have a feeling there wouldn't be enough interest (plus, on the P-Body, wasn't there multiple styles between the production years?). I know on the G-body, 84-89 was the same, and I think 90-93 was the same. What about the P-Body?

There are two styles for P body. 87-90 which are the ones that crack badly and fall apart. The 91-94 are smaller and seem to hold up better.

rich tideswell
05-19-2010, 04:28 PM

i don't think that's right on a g-body... i would think it was 84-91 the same and 92/93 different because of the different trim piece around the window.

My idea suggestion is the "buckle up for safety" decals you see on the door windows - clear vinyl and gold lettering. They're the same on every car, and due to the up'n'down of the window do get boogered up.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/rtideswell/101_0618.jpg

badandy
05-19-2010, 09:42 PM
The same one I sent you awhile back...

Spare tire well knock offs...in a better material :thumb:

LaserXT1986
05-19-2010, 11:01 PM
My idea suggestion is the "buckle up for safety" decals you see on the door windows - clear vinyl and gold lettering. They're the same on every car, and due to the up'n'down of the window do get boogered up.

That wouldn't be a problem, but...do you think there is enough interest?

The same one I sent you awhile back...

Spare tire well knock offs...in a better material :thumb:

Yea well remember how that thread turned out last time? One bad apple spoiled the whole bunch kinda thing....btw, to this day I still haven't seen him step up to offer his "cheaper version" that he promoted SO much:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suppose if there truly was enough interest I'd reconsider making those.....not sure of which material yet, tho...

Marcus86GLHS
05-20-2010, 04:51 AM
we need OEM style date-coded ignition wire sets (including the coil wire).

i see you offer screen printing (silk screen lettering maybe?).

sure would be great to have these spark plug wire sets with right date codes (syntax: quarter-year) for the 1984 and up years. A popular one might be for the 86S cars: the date codes would be 4-85, 1-86, 2-86, and even 3-86.

LaserXT1986
05-20-2010, 06:27 AM
we need OEM style date-coded ignition wire sets (including the coil wire).

i see you offer screen printing (silk screen lettering maybe?).

sure would be great to have these spark plug wire sets with right date codes (syntax: quarter-year) for the 1984 and up years. A popular one might be for the 86S cars: the date codes would be 4-85, 1-86, 2-86, and even 3-86.

We do screen printing but it is typically reserved for quantities 500-1000 and up, esp. when a custom jig would need to be made to screen print onto a cylindrical shaped object such as wires. I just don't see even 1/2 or even 1/4 that number stepping up for a group buy :(

The other question would be, who gets the wires, what brand, will they be "blank", etc., etc.....

rich tideswell
05-20-2010, 08:52 AM
That wouldn't be a problem, but...do you think there is enough interest?...

I don't know, but I can try and take those decals off the windows if you want to give it a go. Certainly think for the resto crowd they might be interested.

What ever happened to repopping the hatch strut decals on the l-bodies?

LaserXT1986
05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't know, but I can try and take those decals off the windows if you want to give it a go. Certainly think for the resto crowd they might be interested.

What ever happened to repopping the hatch strut decals on the l-bodies?

I have the seatbelt decals here, I'll see if I can use mine first this way it saves you the trouble.

With respect to the hatch strut decals...this is the first I heard? :confused2::confused2: What exactly were these? I don't recall even being in a convo about them LOL!

Shadow
05-20-2010, 01:50 PM
G-body "sill plates" (if that's the proper term?) The finish piece that holds the carpet in place along the door openings. I prob have 5 customers who would snap them up if available.

rich tideswell
05-20-2010, 02:01 PM
I have the seatbelt decals here, I'll see if I can use mine first this way it saves you the trouble.

With respect to the hatch strut decals...this is the first I heard? :confused2::confused2: What exactly were these? I don't recall even being in a convo about them LOL!

hatch strut decals for GLHS:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35516&highlight=hatch+struts

LaserXT1986
05-20-2010, 03:03 PM
hatch strut decals for GLHS:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35516&highlight=hatch+struts

Just read the thread...never saw it before now, and no one ever contacted me. Looks like it would be an easy item to do, but if no one contacts me with the original.....

....makes it kinda hard :p

Abkshelby
05-20-2010, 04:22 PM
I'd like to have some of those seat belt decal thingies.
I'd need a large quantity prolly.

neongary
05-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Emissions decals, tire pressure decals.

135sohc
05-21-2010, 09:11 PM
emissions decals, tire pressure decals.

+1...

neongary
05-21-2010, 10:32 PM
It would also be killer to reproduce the VIN decal on the door, but somehow doubt that is legal or worth the trouble since every number is different. Mine is faded to the point of being unreadable and when the car gets painted, it would look better if that decal could be removed and replaced with a new one.

JohnnyIroc
05-21-2010, 11:31 PM
i have a set of NOS IROC daytona side door decals,
i would like all the ones for my 91 made rear has dodge and daytona shelby, front has dodge and 2 turbo decals on the hood
and all the Shelby ones made

135sohc
05-21-2010, 11:37 PM
It would also be killer to reproduce the VIN decal on the door, but somehow doubt that is legal or worth the trouble since every number is different. Mine is faded to the point of being unreadable and when the car gets painted, it would look better if that decal could be removed and replaced with a new one.

Even making a 'generic' one that you could fill in your cars details using something like an IBM selectric typewriter and then putting a clear sticker type overlay on it would be fine for me. But I know close enough and generic arnt in Daves vocabulary :p

neongary
05-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Even making a 'generic' one that you could fill in your cars details using something like an IBM selectric typewriter and then putting a clear sticker type overlay on it would be fine for me. But I know close enough and generic arnt in Daves vocabulary :p
That does sound like it would work, just don't want any trouble with the man at DMV. Wonder what people do if they swap doors?

86seeS
05-22-2010, 09:47 AM
id take some seat belt decals for sure

LaserXT1986
05-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I'd like to have some of those seat belt decal thingies. I'd need a large quantity prolly.

I'll start looking into this.....seems relatively simple to do and shouldn't cost much to you guys once done...

Emissions decals, tire pressure decals.

Oh yes, tire pressure decals! This was discussed before. Let me look into it further and see what can be done....good idea!

As far as the emissions decal, there is another guy here, not a vendor (yet...hint hint) but he offers the emissions decals for the Shelby cars (Steve is his name, I think). Maybe he could change the file for these non-shelby cars? If not, I'll consider doing it.

Which decals are these? Picture? I think I know what you are referring to but want to make sure...

i have a set of NOS IROC daytona side door decals, i would like all the ones for my 91 made rear has dodge and daytona shelby, front has dodge and 2 turbo decals on the hood
and all the Shelby ones made

John we'll be in touch, I also got your pm and short answer is "yes of course" ;) I'll be in contact with you soon.

Good ideas everyone! Keep them coming!

neongary
05-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

hutwe
05-24-2010, 10:19 AM
How about AA body window scrapers? Or headliners?

LaserXT1986
05-24-2010, 12:16 PM
How about AA body window scrapers? Or headliners?

Window scrapers were already started by another vendor for L bodies, so before I try to look into a group buy for any car I would want to yield to them first. That said, the demand for AA bodies would likely rank least, as the early G body and P body cars have older units that were prone to more wear and thus, the demand would likely be greater.

Unfortunately headliners I will flat out say no to -- too risky to ship to/from (they are very fragile) plus there are many good resources (some of which I commented on) on how to DIY. :thumb:

supercrackerbox
05-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I've got an odd one, although it's not high on the list of priorities- The vacuum diagram for my Daytona. Oddly, even though the VIN decals on the hood (and all other body panels) match the VIN of the car, I've got a V6 diagram on the underside of the hood.

JohnnyIroc
05-24-2010, 04:16 PM
John we'll be in touch, I also got your pm and short answer is "yes of course" ;) I'll be in contact with you soon.

Good ideas everyone! Keep them coming!

sounds good man!
let me know :thumb:

contraption22
05-24-2010, 04:40 PM
How about plastic inserts to fill the voids left when removing the rear bumper on a 4 door L-body? :)

Just a couple rectangular pieces of flexible black plastic with four holes that can be attached with trim darts. Maybe the same type of material and the factory ground effects are made of. I think it's ABS?

LaserXT1986
05-24-2010, 04:53 PM
How about plastic inserts to fill the voids left when removing the rear bumper on a 4 door L-body? :)

Just a couple rectangular pieces of flexible black plastic with four holes that can be attached with trim darts. Maybe the same type of material and the factory ground effects are made of. I think it's ABS?

Have a picture? I can probably conjure something up but need to see it first so I can determine the best approach :) Sounds like black Sintra would do the trick in a pinch (which I stock) :thumb:

LaserXT1986
05-24-2010, 04:56 PM
I've got an odd one, although it's not high on the list of priorities- The vacuum diagram for my Daytona. Oddly, even though the VIN decals on the hood (and all other body panels) match the VIN of the car, I've got a V6 diagram on the underside of the hood.

As I mentioned previously in the thread, the guy that does emissions decals for the Shelby cars (Steve is his name, I think), I think he also did vacuum digrams. I also think Martin (Arizona Parts) had these repro'd by someone too and was selling them...so I wouldn't step on other vendors at this time unless they didn't want first crack at the specific cars they haven't yet done...

Abkshelby
05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
I seem to have the rear decal from a Daytona Iroc if you need to use it as a template. Part number on them is EZ30KR4 RR Closure. Got these off ebay yrs ago. One is missing the "C" in iroc. These are in red.

JohnnyIroc
05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
I seem to have the rear decal from a Daytona Iroc if you need to use it as a template. Part number on them is EZ30KR4 RR Closure. Got these off ebay yrs ago. One is missing the "C" in iroc. These are in red.

what ones got these?
all the 91s have Shelby on the rear

Abkshelby
05-24-2010, 08:50 PM
what ones got these?
all the 91s have Shelby on the rear

I'm not really sure what these emblems came from.
It was many yrs ago on ebay.
Guess they could have been on the '92 or '92 Iroc V6 versions.
My buddy with the '91 Daytona Shelby has one of the few of them left too.

JohnnyIroc
05-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm not really sure what these emblems came from.
It was many yrs ago on ebay.
Guess they could have been on the '92 or '92 Iroc V6 versions.
My buddy with the '91 Daytona Shelby has one of the few of them left too.

maybe even the 91 V6 cars i never really thought about that or seen any
your buddy has one of the 91 IROC/Shelbys?

Abkshelby
05-24-2010, 09:10 PM
maybe even the 91 V6 cars i never really thought about that or seen any
your buddy has one of the 91 IROC/Shelbys?

Yeah my buddy has a 12k mile '91 Daytona Shelby he bought new.
It's white with the red leather.
No sunroof but rear wiper and everything else.
He has not left it alone though as he should have.
Has an exhaust mod and computer but the rest is still stock.
No pics of it to put up here.
I need to get some.
Oh it's a 568 car also.....

JohnnyIroc
05-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Yeah my buddy has a 12k mile '91 Daytona Shelby he bought new.
It's white with the red leather.
No sunroof but rear wiper and everything else.
He has not left it alone though as he should have.
Has an exhaust mod and computer but the rest is still stock.
No pics of it to put up here.
I need to get some.
Oh it's a 568 car also.....

wow that sounds awesome id love to see some pics of that thing,
dont want to take away from this thread anymore but PM me when you get some pics
or post them in my project log so everyone can see them :thumb:

Abkshelby
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
wow that sounds awesome id love to see some pics of that thing,
dont want to take away from this thread anymore but PM me when you get some pics
or post them in my project log so everyone can see them :thumb:

Yeah I didn't mean to get off track here.
But Dave please contact me on the new products you release.
Especially the seat belt decals.
And John I will be over at Jims early next month.
I'll try to get some pics of the thing.
It seriously looks like brand new.
He has had it to a few SDACs and won 1st place one time as I recall.

rich tideswell
07-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Laser sent me the adress, so I'll be sending him the decals tommarrow.

rich tideswell
07-16-2010, 08:20 AM
mailed the decals out wednesday, he should have gotten them yesterday or today

rich tideswell
07-29-2010, 03:55 PM
almost 2 weeks sinced mailed, where they recieved?

rich tideswell
11-03-2010, 12:56 PM
bumping

Juggy
11-04-2010, 08:52 PM
an exhaust manifold flange would be nice. i know others have made them. but im thinking something a little more niche.

have it come with a gasket matched "D" ish shaped port about 3/4" in length past the flange; angled down the same as the exhaust port path. then all we have to do is fit our header pipe over the D port and weld it up :)

135sohc
11-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Hasnt been on since July.

blk86trbo
02-27-2011, 11:31 AM
So what happened to David? Last year we were working out a transaction, then he just stopped responding...he hasn't been on here in a loooong time. Should I look to have decals made elsewhere? Anyone know if he still does this?

GLHSHELBY
03-02-2011, 12:21 AM
just a few things I`d like to see......
lightweight aluminum brackets for foglights on a 89-91 daytona shelby/es
carbon fiber cover to take the place of the front glovebox
carbon fiber panel for top of dash on daytona`s that goes right under the windshield(most are cracked)
aluminum or carbon fiber brackets that surround inside door panels on the 80`s daytona`s.
LED exterior light upgrades for the 89-91 daytona`s
anything inside plastic on the daytona`s in carbon fiber
on a R/t 568 trans, an aluminum block off plate where crank position sensor was
something similar to this but for daytona`s
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/mazdamiatabasicflushheadlightkit.aspx

boost geek
03-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Roller rockers like Warren made!