PDA

View Full Version : Now Offering HX/HY/WH1C Holset Flanges

rbryant
05-18-2010, 02:32 AM
All,

I had a request for one of these because for some reason the guy that used to sell them on ebay doesn't currently have any listed. I had already drawn one up for myself so I made a few. They should fit the HX35, and HY35, and WH1C turbos that have the 5 bolt flange.

They are a little more expensive than the ebay units were but I strongly feel that they are a better product. They are waterjet cut so they are a lot cleaner and don't have spatter and pitting all over them. The ebay seller plasma cut them to make them cheap and they really showed it.

They are made from 3/8" mild steel and I also made them thicker around the outside diameter of the outlet so they should warp less during welding. The center hole is just over 3" so that a 3" pipe can be slip fit inside of it.

They are $35 plus $5 shipping I have 3 in stock and of course I can make more if people are interested in them:

They can be ordered here:
http://rbryant.freeshell.org/misc_products.htm

Thanks,

Rich

bakes
05-18-2010, 02:35 AM
What size is the exhaust hole 3 or 4"?

rbryant
05-18-2010, 02:43 AM
What size is the exhaust hole 3 or 4"?

It is 3".

The outside diameter of this flange is only 4" so there is no way to go that big with the HX/HY turbos. 4" would require running the HE341/HE351 model or a 3" to 4" adapter.

-Rich

CSX153
05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
got mine today, looks and fits great. 3" pipe fits right in or you can weld a v band onto it, like im going to.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/CSX153/photo-2-1.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/CSX153/photo-1-2.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/CSX153/photo-3.jpg

sorry bout the lousy pics, had to use my phone.

rbryant
05-20-2010, 09:16 PM
got mine today, looks and fits great. 3" pipe fits right in or you can weld a v band onto it, like im going to.

Glad to hear that you like it.

Make sure you put the clamp on to check its clearance before welding as the clamps are sometimes wider than the actual vband flange.

We used a small section of pipe to connect the vband to the turbo flange when we did mine.

-Rich

CSX153
05-20-2010, 09:41 PM
checked, clears.

WickedShelby88
05-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Hey Rich, Is this something you will make more of in the future? Price aint bad at all and these turbos are an excellent and affordable option for an upgrade.

turbovanmanČ
05-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Hmmmmmmmm!

Have any T3 flanges?

rbryant
06-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Hey Rich, Is this something you will make more of in the future? Price aint bad at all and these turbos are an excellent and affordable option for an upgrade.

I can always have them cut. The prices might be higher if I am only doing a couple of them though.

-Rich

rbryant
06-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Hmmmmmmmm!

Have any T3 flanges?

T3 flanges can be made but they are readily available everywhere so I am not sure if it is worth it.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
06-01-2010, 01:18 AM
T3 flanges can be made but they are readily available everywhere so I am not sure if it is worth it.

-Rich

One stop shopping. ;)

rbryant
06-01-2010, 04:16 PM
One stop shopping. ;)

Not worth it.

I don't make much on the unique item so the common item will be even less worthwhile.

It is best to focus energy on things that aren't already being mass produced in china.

-Rich

minigts
06-01-2010, 04:25 PM

It is best to focus energy on things that aren't already being mass produced in china.

-Rich

I guess having kids is out of the question. :D Just kidding!!!! Nice stuff Rich. I do agree with Simon though. Having a few on hand even though they are mass produced wouldn't be a bad idea. I personally will search a site I'm buying from to find other stuff I may need in the future to make one purchase instead of going to multiple sites.

ShadowFromHell
06-02-2010, 01:11 AM
What about a flange for the stock chry turbos with provisons for the WG flapper?

rbryant
06-02-2010, 12:31 PM
What about a flange for the stock chry turbos with provisons for the WG flapper?

It can be done but I think there are already good options out there. The TU swingvalve is a nice piece.

Or if you want to go beyond the stock exhaust and TU swingvalve then you probably want a bigger turbo anyway. The bigger garret turbos already have ebay swingvalves that are complete for $120 or less.

-Rich

ShadowFromHell
06-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Well, Im a fab guy and if the flange was under $100 bucks most of us could build a better piece then the TU unit way cheaper. Im not complaing, but the TU 3in is over $300 isnt it? Ive been doing some reading on guys ditching the stock piece (build their own) and seeing really good gains. The stock piece, and TU piece is very restrictive due to it having to clear the PS pump.

I think they would sell well.

rbryant
06-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Well, Im a fab guy and if the flange was under $100 bucks most of us could build a better piece then the TU unit way cheaper. Im not complaing, but the TU 3in is over $300 isnt it? Ive been doing some reading on guys ditching the stock piece (build their own) and seeing really good gains. The stock piece, and TU piece is very restrictive due to it having to clear the PS pump.

I think they would sell well.

I have a stock turbo sitting around so I can take a look at it.

-Rich

ShadowFromHell
06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
I was thinking that you could maybe just sell it in 1/2 or so, and let the buyers do the machining. Or, maybe sell it both ways.

rbryant
06-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I was thinking that you could maybe just sell it in 1/2 or so, and let the buyers do the machining. Or, maybe sell it both ways.

I am not sure what you are trying to say there. The only machining is cutting it to match the turbo and pipe...

-Rich

ShadowFromHell
06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
On the chrysler style the WG flapper arm is part of the SV housing.

rbryant
06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
On the chrysler style the WG flapper arm is part of the SV housing.

Oh ok that makes sense... I could make them extra thick like that but it gets expensive to cut thicker steel.

I am still not convinced that people would be willing do to machine the WG flapper like that. I really think that anyone who is doing that much work would use a non Chrysler turbine housing. They would then have both a readily available selection of outlets and would have the standard T3 inlet.

-Rich

ShadowFromHell
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I would, but My brother in law has a mill, and Im a fab guy. The only thing that has stopped me from doing this is the lack of a flange. Maybe you should start a new thread with a poll? Id do it, but I dont feel right seeing as Im not the guy that would be making them,

john1320
06-03-2010, 01:37 AM

It's as good as it gets flow wise for a direct bolt-on piece, and the whole point WAS to clear the PS pump. When you go beyond that then your going into a customized piece anyway, not a universal..
I had spoken with ATP last year about making their straight-thru ultra SV housing for those of us still using the Chrysler pattern. They did. The units they have (t3 and chrysler) were around 160, iirc.
By the time you order the piping, v-band flange, bungs and such from Columbia bends, thats another 90 bucks. So thats 250 right there b4 shipping, doesn't clear the PS, which i ditched, and i still have to get the piping welded up. I went this way like you, since i want "all of it" for post turbine flow.
If i had listened to some ppl here about the Chrysler housings going the way of the Cuckoo, i would have jumped all over the SV form TU.