PDA

View Full Version : P-body and Dakota door handle trim piece

135sohc
05-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Those black ABS plastic bezels that snap into place around the interior door handles. All seem to have broken tabs...

Wonder how much it would cost to have a plastics company pattern a mold and run a batch of them off. Probably more than what most cheap a** individuals here would pay ? Would anyone here pay $15-20 per piece for a new production part possibly made of a more modern durable plastic compound ?

DC Turismo
05-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Scan junkyards, they're not that hard to remove when all four tabs are intact. I had ordered NOS ones a couple years back and they still had em.

135sohc
05-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Junkyard is so hit or miss on those. Half the time their already missing or broken.

I'll try the dealer tomorrow. Probably gone by now but who knows

Dusty_Duster
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I would be interested in them if we could get some brand new ones made.

badandy
05-31-2010, 09:48 AM
I'd spring for some billet ones if someone could make them.

135sohc
06-03-2010, 11:36 PM
The part needs to be flexible enough so that it can bend slightly when being installed. Solid aluminum would be nice but no way to install it.

Captain Chaos
06-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Are they gone from the dealers? I bought one for my 93 Dakota a couple years ago.

badandy
06-04-2010, 08:41 AM
I always just push in on the door panel some as not to flex the so much. I believe there are some tabs to keep in in place that have to go up and over the handle bucket. If designed without those tabs it could be made of aluminum and just be held on by a pressure fit.

135sohc
06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Are they gone from the dealers? I bought one for my 93 Dakota a couple years ago.

Gone from chryslers depot system but still out there. so the local place says

Alot has changed in the past couple years. March of 08 I bought two seatback release handles from the dealer. March 2010 and they are NLA as one of the parts hoarding places bought up chryslers old inventory (for pennies on the dollar I'm sure) and now they have them selling them for $30+

I always just push in on the door panel some as not to flex the so much. I believe there are some tabs to keep in in place that have to go up and over the handle bucket. If designed without those tabs it could be made of aluminum and just be held on by a pressure fit.

If your talking about the two pointy tabs on the end, yes those could probably be done away with but the other 4 are necessary to hold it on. otherwise it would just fall off.

badandy
06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Gone from chryslers depot system but still out there. so the local place says

Alot has changed in the past couple years. March of 08 I bought two seatback release handles from the dealer. March 2010 and they are NLA as one of the parts hoarding places bought up chryslers old inventory (for pennies on the dollar I'm sure) and now they have them selling them for $30+

If your talking about the two pointy tabs on the end, yes those could probably be done away with but the other 4 are necessary to hold it on. otherwise it would just fall off.
Just the two at the end. That's the only reason I ever have to flex the piece when removing it. The other tabs just slide in place no issue there with removal...but they are the ones that always break due to having to flex the trim piece to clear the two pointy tabs.