PDA

View Full Version : A fun electrical puzzle for everyone

carguyray
05-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Ok, here's a fun one...

My newer 85 600ES is in GREAT shape, but the cruise doesn't work. No biggie I figured, there's only so many steps to figure out the problem. Well, today I got out electrical diagrams and the car... FUN! (seriously)

About the 3rd step it says "hook light (probe light) to battery + and the brown/red wire at the cruise servo. Turn the ignition on and put the cruise switch in the ON position. The light will light. Press the SET button and the light will go off." It went on to explain 2 other tests for the white/red and blue/red wires. I did them all and got the same results as explained below.

Well, much to my shock, with the IGNITION OFF everything worked just as it's supposed to with the ignition ON! WHAT????? Let's recap. Ignition off (no key even in) all the lights light up (power to servo) and react as they're supposed to. Turn the ignition on ON and BAM! NOTHING!!

Now, this car did have someone playing under the hood, there was a small engine fire on the front of the block and it mainly effected the vacuum lines, but I want to be sure you understand people have been playing around with wiring and vac lines.

SO, QUESTION: What would/could possibly 'reverse' the behavior of the current? I could see if it was something that's supposed to be 'full live' and it was hooked to a switched line or something ,but on/off reversed????

Thoughts, Ideas where to start looking, ANYTHING?

I don't have a diagram to tell me where to trace the cruise wires back to so that's not helping. If anyone knows where the other end is please let me know.

Thanks to everyone for ANY help!
Ray

4 l-bodies
05-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Ray,
The ignition switch itself could be bad. Happens to imports all the time. Before you rip all your hair out of your head consider that. That would be my first guess, esp. since the car had a fire underhood. Could have easily fried the switch.
Todd

marc
05-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Ray, the test light goes to ground, not to battery pos. for all three of those tests.
Marc

carguyray
05-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Oh? (Now I'm feeling quite stupid!) I'll go back and look at that.
That could make a difference in the outcome! :o

D'OH!!! (slapping self)w

TopDollar69
05-31-2010, 11:31 PM
I have an almost new looking 85 cruise servo with all the cables and hoses connected if your interested. Came out of a 55K mile California New Yorker.

lehua768
06-01-2010, 01:57 AM
What would/could possibly 'reverse' the behavior of the current? I could see if it was something that's supposed to be 'full live' and it was hooked to a switched line or something ,but on/off reversed????

carguyray
06-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks Top$ I've not been able to get back to that puzzle (moving and finding new garage space) so I'm hoping in the next week or 2 at the most.

I'll post what I find.

PS With any luck my new storage place (negotiating now) will have room for about 4-5 more cars! :D :D :D Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... sicknesses!