PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, opinions, opinions...

Dave
06-09-2006, 01:02 AM
My TII Garrett took a huge crap on me yesterday. Metaphorically speaking it shat oil all down my lower hard pipe and through the core. DAMN! On top of new pistons (which btw, are on their way as I type) that I was planning on installing the end of this month the turbo has to spew oil on me like this.

So it's a Garrett T3/T04E 50trim, S3 wheel, .60 cold/.63 hot, with a T3 flange, brand spankin' new.

Problems are that (1. That's a BIG turbine wheel! (2. Oil cooled only. How would I block off the coolant lines? And is it possible to drive it on the street like this? Any other concerns I should have with oil cooled only?

Also, I have a stock head. Will I absolutely NEED to port my head? Or will I be looking at a lag monster without that?

Thanks for any help fella's.

-Bryan

Clay
06-09-2006, 07:20 AM
take your coolant lines to a local industrial supply/hydraulic speciality store. They can get you plugs to block off the lines.

MiniMopar
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
For oil cooled only, you just have to keep in mind that it will heat soak when you shut it down. So that old thing about letting it idle for a minute before shutting it down would apply. I guess you could get a turbo timer.

The S is Silent
06-09-2006, 11:14 AM
If you are worried about the turbine side being too big, buy a chrysler .48 AR stage 3 housing. There was a post on here earlier about it spooling up VERY quickly with that combo.

Dave
06-10-2006, 01:22 PM
For oil cooled only, you just have to keep in mind that it will heat soak when you shut it down. So that old thing about letting it idle for a minute before shutting it down would apply. I guess you could get a turbo timer.

Shouldn't that always apply?

85glht
06-10-2006, 06:17 PM
(2. Oil cooled only. How would I block off the coolant lines? And is it possible to drive it on the street like this? Any other concerns I should have with oil cooled only?Bryan

There are many cars and trucks that have oil cooled only turbos. The only thing, like was posted before, make sure you give proper cool down before you turn the engine off.:nod:

87csx2.4
06-11-2006, 03:24 AM
My sc61 is oil cooled only and it works great.

unluckyty
06-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Bryan,
I think, with the stock head, stock stall convertor in an auto tranny, will be really laggy.

When I breifly ran a t3/t4e .63 stage 1 with an auto tranny stock convertor, stock head, I had spooling issues.

Might need a small shot of nitrous to get it moving.

Greg

Chris W
06-28-2006, 02:10 AM
There are many cars and trucks that have oil cooled only turbos. The only thing, like was posted before, make sure you give proper cool down before you turn the engine off.:nod:

Diesel vehicles tend to use oil for both lubrication and cooling. Since exhaust temps are lower then gas powered engines water cooling isn't necessary. as mentioned above, you must allow the engine/turbo to cool down after spirited driving in ANY turbo charged vehicle.

Chris-TU

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2006, 03:50 AM
The turbo coolant feed is 3/8 pipe plug-back of the block. The front one is probably the same but can't remember. Just take the fitting into a parts store and they can match you up a plug.

Dave
06-28-2006, 06:43 AM
Beh, sorry for the confusion here guys. Cindy just sent me a T3/T4 Hybrid 50 trim, S2 wheel, in a T04B compressor housing. :thumb: WOO!!!

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Why a T04B? The 8 valves prefer a T04E!

Clay
06-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Simon - how come??

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Simon - how come??

From reading all the posts on both sites, Terry Ryan tested them, the B housing is high pressure, the E cover is high volume, more suited to our crappy flowing 8 valve heads. :thumb: EDIT, I might have the volume/pressure backwards but you get the idea.

Chris W
06-28-2006, 04:19 PM
From reading all the posts on both sites, Terry Ryan tested them, the B housing is high pressure, the E cover is high volume, more suited to our crappy flowing 8 valve heads. :thumb: EDIT, I might have the volume/pressure backwards but you get the idea.

+1 ^^ It's a widely known fact that the T04Bs do not perform as well as the T04Es in TD applications. We also strongly recommend not mixing T04B and T04E wheels and housings. Since the 50 trim T04E compressor wheel was a good choice maybe you can just swap the T04B version out for the matching T04E compressor housing.

Chris-TU

cordes
06-28-2006, 07:36 PM

Dang Simon where are you at on this thread? ;)

The E series is high pressure the B is high flow.

The hole in the head for the coolant return is 3/8ths NPT and the block is 1/4 NPT once you remove the 1/4 to 3/8ths NPT adapter. A little teflon tape and some brass pipe plugs and you will be in buisiness.

If you can't tell I have run a oil only turbo before. No problems what so ever. I just granny it around for a few minutes before shut down, or idle it down when I get there either way...

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Dang Simon where are you at on this thread? ;)

Huh? :confused:

cordes
06-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Huh? :confused:

That was my way to taking a friendly jab at you for mixing up the pressure vs. flow, and not knowing the fitting sizes off of the top of your head for certian. Just messing with you. :)

turbovanmanČ
06-28-2006, 08:28 PM
That was my way to taking a friendly jab at you for mixing up the pressure vs. flow, and not knowing the fitting sizes off of the top of your head for certian. Just messing with you. :)

Oh, I see, :ban: :p

Clay
06-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks Simon and Chris! Always love to learn more TD stuff! :)

turbo xtc
09-03-2006, 08:09 PM
use a oil cooler off a volkswagen like a rabbit they bolt between the filter and the block you have to weld a threaded rod that is used on them and run water lines to it and use hose clamps our filters are about the same diamater