PDA

View Full Version : classic l-body leak

strang3majik
05-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I know where the leak is...if I pour water in the cowl area on the driver's side, it ends up running onto my driver's side floor board.

So...I scraped all the original stuff out and cleaned it with a wire brush...then, bought some new stuff to replace it with, and, it still leaks.

I cannot get it to seal to save my @$$. Any ideas on what else to do?

86Shelby
05-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Check the foam gasket between the cowl and HVAC box and the sealant around that piece. That's a common place for leaks & breezes. By "stuff" in your post, I was assuming body sealant.

4 l-bodies
05-09-2010, 02:06 AM
There is also a chance it could be leaking beyond the cowl area where it drains down the front fenders. I had the same issue on a 30K mile 88 Omni. I did what you did (mine was on the passenger side though) and it still leaked. Pulled the front fender to expose the other seam. Resealed that and problem solved. I truly believe I had issues in both places.
Be careful when diagnosing leaks. I while back on this forum someone swore it was leaking in the cowl area. I wound up being his taillights were leaking! The car was parked on a slight decline in his driveway and water pooled all the way into the footwells. Good luck!
Todd

Force Fed Mopar
05-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I have the same leak on the driver floorboard in my GLHS. I sealed the seam up behind the fender (front clip is off) w/ silicone for now, still leaks, so I'm assuming either leaking under the windshield somewhere somehow, or through the cowl area somewhere. You can see where it runs down the inside of the door pillar and on to the floor (no interior either lol).

strang3majik
05-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I'll have to pull the fender off and check it out.

Mine is leaking around the tail light too, but, theres no interior in it, so, that jsut stays in the trunk area.

But, this one runs right down the driver's side front corner onto the floor. The passenger side did leak, but, i resealed the cowl and replaced that foam thing you spoke of and its all fixed.

But, I'll pull that fender off and let you know of my findings.

It seems like a pretty simple one to pull. Thanks in the meantime :p

54inches
05-09-2010, 05:24 PM
My Rampage is leaking in the exact same spot, but I am doing rust repair and nothing is still attached to the uni-body except the engine!

I am going to start to dig, so I can find mine as well.

Good Luck!

strang3majik
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
My Rampage is leaking in the exact same spot, but I am doing rust repair and nothing is still attached to the uni-body except the engine!

I am going to start to dig, so I can find mine as well.

Good Luck!

luckily mine doesn't have any rust other than the spot that was in the roof. But, amazingly, it didn't leak there...lol

I will keep everyone posted though. I've even had the dash out and all...but, it helped me none.

strang3majik
05-23-2010, 12:12 PM
wanted to update this. I pulled the fender off and sure enough, all the putty was peeling off or gone. So, I scraped all of it out, wire wheeled the area, put new stuff in, when it dried I painted it, put it all back together and....

it still leaks. Where else should I look?

54inches
05-23-2010, 09:44 PM
I think it is leaking between the cowl and fender area.

There is a pinch seam with puddy and I think it gets behind that.

What did you seal it with? Seam Sealer?

strang3majik
05-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I think it is leaking between the cowl and fender area.

There is a pinch seam with puddy and I think it gets behind that.

What did you seal it with? Seam Sealer?

yes...I got it from a local paint supply place, and explained to them what I needed, and its what they gave me...lol

I already did the area beneath the washer bottle (in the cowl), and beneath the fender.
I think it may be coming in inside that box frame under the fender, however, there is no way into it without cutting it open, and, without me knowing for sure, I'd rather not cut it open...

ugh...80s chrysler engineering....haha.

86seeS
05-24-2010, 12:04 AM
my glh and glhs both leaked there did a total pull and reseal fixed them both

strang3majik
05-24-2010, 01:02 AM
my glh and glhs both leaked there did a total pull and reseal fixed them both
pull and reseal of what? I may have to do the same...lol

This leak is whats keeping me from getting a new carpet and putting the interior back together, then moving on with the outside...haha.

This stupid little leak.

Turbodave
05-24-2010, 10:59 AM
On the 85 GLH I just parted out I noticed that the seam sealer under the cowl behind the dash on the drivers side had peeled back and was letting water through, the car had no floor left on the drivers side. It's something you would probably have to pull the dash out to see.

86seeS
05-27-2010, 11:07 PM
pull and reseal of what? I may have to do the same...lol

This leak is whats keeping me from getting a new carpet and putting the interior back together, then moving on with the outside...haha.

This stupid little leak.

the windows and the drivers fender on the glhs

omniac
05-29-2010, 08:48 AM
I has similar leaks in my GLH and found that the sheet metal behind the strut towers was rotted away (upper firewall). Easy enough to get to on the passenger side by removing glove box and peeling away the soundproofing - another headache altogether accessing the driver's side.

I fabbed up a metal patches to secure to the inside passenger compartment area with 2 part seam sealer. I also coated the inside area with seam sealer, rocker guard etc. Once cured on the inside, I separated 2 long BBQ tongs and wrapped the ends with duct tape to make a flat surface to apply some body seam sealer. I carefully snaked it in behind the strut towers and smeared it against the firewall area. I applied several layers over 2-3 days and they coated it with spray can rocker guard, painted it silver and then waxed-based undercoat. Drove my car 2 summers without carpet to make sure it wouldn't leak - so far so good. I finally installed my carpet last week and will check periodically to make sure all is dry.

I had to remove the wiring connector into the firewall to get better access on the drivers side. It's a Bit*# to get clear access especially bent over the engine, but since the area is hidden behind the strut towers a messy job wasn't an issue - just making sure all the voids were covered in seam sealer. the hardest part was getting good light back there to make sure I was applying it in the right area. It's a tight fit and easy enough to miss spots.

Here are some pics I took - hope they are clear enough for you to see what I did.

strang3majik
05-29-2010, 11:14 AM
I has similar leaks in my GLH and found that the sheet metal behind the strut towers was rotted away (upper firewall). Easy enough to get to on the passenger side by removing glove box and peeling away the soundproofing - another headache altogether accessing the driver's side.

I fabbed up a metal patches to secure to the inside passenger compartment area with 2 part seam sealer. I also coated the inside area with seam sealer, rocker guard etc. Once cured on the inside, I separated 2 long BBQ tongs and wrapped the ends with duct tape to make a flat surface to apply some body seam sealer. I carefully snaked it in behind the strut towers and smeared it against the firewall area. I applied several layers over 2-3 days and they coated it with spray can rocker guard, painted it silver and then waxed-based undercoat. Drove my car 2 summers without carpet to make sure it wouldn't leak - so far so good. I finally installed my carpet last week and will check periodically to make sure all is dry.

I had to remove the wiring connector into the firewall to get better access on the drivers side. It's a Bit*# to get clear access especially bent over the engine, but since the area is hidden behind the strut towers a messy job wasn't an issue - just making sure all the voids were covered in seam sealer. the hardest part was getting good light back there to make sure I was applying it in the right area. It's a tight fit and easy enough to miss spots.

Here are some pics I took - hope they are clear enough for you to see what I did.

thanks for that writeup. I'll take a look at that. I kinda doubt thats what it is since this car has hardly any rust on it, but, I'll check.

Also, mine only leaks on the drivers side, which is wierd. It did leak on the passengers side until I fixed that foam stuff on top of the vent duct in the cowl area.

I'll probably look at it today since I have nothing else on my plate...haha.

54inches
05-29-2010, 09:47 PM
It did leak on the passengers side until I fixed that foam stuff on top of the vent duct in the cowl area.

Can you explain what you did and post a pic?

Thanks!

strang3majik
06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Can you explain what you did and post a pic?

Thanks!

Will do once I get the leak taken care of here today :p

Turns out where mine is leaking is indeed in the cowl area, somehow I didn't seal it perfectly. So, I cleaned off underneath and put some putty in there, then I'll probably go over the top stuff again as well. But, I saw it myself actually drip from there...so, I know how its getting in...loll

Its actually right above the fuse box...which is scary. But, I pulled the fuse box out just far enough that I could see it and no corrosion whatsoever.

Apparently Chrysler did a good thing and put the fuse box on stilts so it doesn't sit flat against the car. Or else, it would be shorted out.

johnl
06-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Then there is the leak wherre the water apparently runs down wires to the Logic Module on the passenger side. . . . .

strang3majik
06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Then there is the leak wherre the water apparently runs down wires to the Logic Module on the passenger side. . . . .

lol...mine's carburated so I don't have that problem :D

And, my passenger's side is dry as can be.

But, then again, the driver's side was in the sun all the time and the passenger's side was against some trees for shade, so, it probably dried the sealer out since it was sitting in the same place for 15 years.

Turbodave
06-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Here are some pics from the 85 GLH-T I parted out a few weeks ago. These show where I found the leak on it.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22824&d=1275538005

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22823&d=1275538005

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22822&d=1275538005

strang3majik
06-03-2010, 03:04 AM
^^^thats the spot. Luckily though, my floor only has a couple pin holes in it, and nothing cancerous. I'm assuming the pin holes acted as a drain...lol

black86glhs
06-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Looks like the Lebaron conv I put floors in last year. lol

54inches
06-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I think that is where mine is leaking as well.

Have any topside pics? Be sure to POINT where it puddles and leaks. LOL seriously.