PDA

View Full Version : How far is too far to tilt the 2.4 in the engine bay?

1FastCSX289
05-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Ive had my engine mounts built for months and the motor hanging in there. Well, today I installed the axle shafts and im not so fond of the angle they sit at. The motor is tilted right up, as in the top of the engine is pushed as far away from the firewall as I could get it to make room for the turbo. I had read elsewhere that this is fine to stand it right up. Looking at the axles makes me worry a bit. They fit fine, but the boot on the drivers side is within a 1/4" of the k-frame and both axles are angled back very slightly (the tranny side of the axles is further toward the back of the car than the hub side of the axle). Is this going to be OK?? I am going to obviously fire it up and see how it runs, but that is still a couple weeks off. Im just wondering if anyone has actually done this before without vibration issues or wheel hop, etc.

......I really dont want to have to cut the firewall on an 89 CSX to make room for the dang turbo!

1FastCSX289
05-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Bump.

turboshad
05-10-2010, 10:49 AM
No clue, sorry. Another thing to keep in mind is that the oil pickup and the shape of the pan is designed to have a backwards tilt. Not that you will end up starving things, but just something to keep in mind. As far as the bend in the axles I don't see how it will matter all that much. The axle doesn't know what direction it is going, but it does see the angle. So I would think as long as the angle is similar to what it would be in the rear tilted position you would be fine. Just a guess though. :confused2:

1FastCSX289
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
No clue, sorry. Another thing to keep in mind is that the oil pickup and the shape of the pan is designed to have a backwards tilt. Not that you will end up starving things, but just something to keep in mind. As far as the bend in the axles I don't see how it will matter all that much. The axle doesn't know what direction it is going, but it does see the angle. So I would think as long as the angle is similar to what it would be in the rear tilted position you would be fine. Just a guess though. :confused2:

Thanks for your opinion. I think the only thing to do is to fire up and drive it to see. Worst case, im gonna cut the firewall and box it in around turbo. Ill just keep the piece that gets cut out in case I want to restore the car at a later time. I know that will make some people cringe, but OH WELL.

turboshad
05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your opinion. I think the only thing to do is to fire up and drive it to see. Worst case, im gonna cut the firewall and box it in around turbo. Ill just keep the piece that gets cut out in case I want to restore the car at a later time. I know that will make some people cringe, but OH WELL.

What turbo are you running? My Holset fits just fine. Maybe making a different header that will locate the turbo in a more desired position is another alternative to having to cut the firewall.

86Shelby
05-10-2010, 01:15 PM
maybe making a different header that will locate the turbo in a more desired position is another alternative to having to cut the firewall.

^^^^^^^^ this!!!!

RoadWarrior222
05-10-2010, 04:17 PM
How rigidly is it mounted? like solid bushing, hard poly + bobble strut? Just asking coz if it's a matter of an inch rake your axle angles might pull straight under full power. However if it's THAT tight is the turbo gonna bounce off the firewall anyway when you torque it up?

turbovanmanČ
05-10-2010, 04:24 PM
What turbo and manifold are you using? People are running 2.4's with Holsets in L body's with no firewall mods.

1FastCSX289
05-10-2010, 10:57 PM
How rigidly is it mounted? like solid bushing, hard poly + bobble strut? Just asking coz if it's a matter of an inch rake your axle angles might pull straight under full power. However if it's THAT tight is the turbo gonna bounce off the firewall anyway when you torque it up?

Its a solid bobble strut. Dont know if it will bounce off the firewall or not.....ill have to find out. Ive got about a 1/4". And I believe the turbo will pull away from the firewall when the motor torques up on launch. But there is always the slam backward on shifts to be worried about. Time will tell.

What turbo and manifold are you using? People are running 2.4's with Holsets in L body's with no firewall mods.

What turbo are you running? My Holset fits just fine. Maybe making a different header that will locate the turbo in a more desired position is another alternative to having to cut the firewall.

Im running a GT30R with an ebay tubular header. This is the header:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Neon-SRT4-SRT-4-Stage-3-Turbo-Exhaust-Manifold-T3-/230469304833?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a90a8201

There is also a cast iron manifold that I might have to go with, but I dont know that this will provide me much more clearance. Ive also thought about the option of shortening the tubes on the header I have.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-06-DODGE-NEON-SRT4-CAST-IRON-T3-TURBO-MANIFOLD-/380224716989?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588728c0bd

Edit: After looking this ^ one over, it definitely brings the turbo in a lot closer to the head. I suppose this would probably be the answer to the problem (if there is a problem).

Dave
05-10-2010, 11:58 PM
As long as the CV joints have canceling angles youll be ok. Factory had them at say hypothetically at 15* on the inners and 15* on the outers for example. The outer CV joints usually always sits lower.

1FastCSX289
05-11-2010, 06:47 AM
As long as the CV joints have canceling angles youll be ok. Factory had them at say hypothetically at 15* on the inners and 15* on the outers for example. The outer CV joints usually always sits lower.

Hmmmm.....interesting. Ill look into this. Thanks for the input!

Dave
05-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Hmmmm.....interesting. Ill look into this. Thanks for the input!

Yup, no problems.

ssheen
05-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Its a solid bobble strut. Dont know if it will bounce off the firewall or not.....ill have to find out. Ive got about a 1/4". And I believe the turbo will pull away from the firewall when the motor torques up on launch. But there is always the slam backward on shifts to be worried about. Time will tell.

Im running a GT30R with an ebay tubular header. This is the header:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Neon-SRT4-SRT-4-Stage-3-Turbo-Exhaust-Manifold-T3-/230469304833?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a90a8201

There is also a cast iron manifold that I might have to go with, but I dont know that this will provide me much more clearance. Ive also thought about the option of shortening the tubes on the header I have.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-06-DODGE-NEON-SRT4-CAST-IRON-T3-TURBO-MANIFOLD-/380224716989?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588728c0bd

Edit: After looking this ^ one over, it definitely brings the turbo in a lot closer to the head. I suppose this would probably be the answer to the problem (if there is a problem).
Any other pics of the header? And installed?? Just curious :)

cordes
05-30-2010, 11:45 AM
IIRC modifying the firewall makes for more stringent tech requirements if they want to be picky about it.

BadAssPerformance
06-06-2010, 03:26 PM
+1 .

FWIW, I rotated my motor about the axle centerline so the valvecover was 2" closer to the core support