PDA

View Full Version : I love my new chip!!

glhs875
06-08-2006, 09:46 AM
With my new combo (highly ported big valve G head, S3 cam, SC6152 turbo), I was having problems hitting the stock rev limit of 6650rpm. Now I know why. I had a chip burnt with the only changes being the rev limit increased to 8500rpm (I have an MSD rev limiter to use) and no overboost cutout. The cal is a 86 T1. Even though my car is a GLHS, I really like the way this cal runs after some tuning. Anyway, this engine is pulling freaking hard to 6800rpm (using MSD shift light)! I think with some more tuning and maybe building a custom plenum with shortened runners for the 2 piece intake, I can build power over 7000rpm! It might anyway. I love it. We'll see how much of a difference it has made at the track the following weekend. I still need to have my converter loosened up some, and install a external wastegate, but it's running pretty good for now.

cordes
06-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Sounds like you are going to be scooting along. That is one hummer of a turbo to spool, but is should lay down some power for sure. Looks like you should have a decent power band for it too.

glhs875
06-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Sounds like you are going to be scooting along. That is one hummer of a turbo to spool, but is should lay down some power for sure. Looks like you should have a decent power band for it too.

Yea, it's a little laggy from a dig right now, but not bad at all. When I get my torque converter loosened up about 500 rpm, Iam sure it will spool much better. I actually went to the track tonight to see how the new chip works. I could only muster an 8.77 @ 89mph- 2.24 60'. on street tires with a 3 staged boost max of 22psi. With the new amount of power that was uncovered from the rev limit increase, Iam having to re tune some. It was just blowing the tires away when the 3rd stage of boost came in at about 50mph. And I was crossing the finish line still in 2nd gear @ 7000+ rpm. I really was wanting to get into 3rd, but it was still pulling too hard to shift. I've still got alot of sorting out to do. One thing Iam going to do is put on a 4th stage of boost for running on street tires. So I can ramp it up more slowly to hopefully maintain traction better.