PDA

View Full Version : Chime issue still not gone!!

Lee'sdaytona
12-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Hey everyone,
You may remember me posting on TD.C about my headlight chime coming on while I am driving. We have determined that it is not because the door has too much play causing the chime to go off, and I mentioned all the wires for the headlight switch had been spliced. Today I checked every wire and wiggled each one while the car was running to get the chime to stop chiming. I am sure the headlight switch is not the problem.

Basically, it chimes when it feels like it ONLY WHEN THE HEADLIGHTS ARE ON. So I could drive with the headlights on, and the chime will come and go as it pleases, but I could shut it up by turning the headlights off. Does anyone know if there is a relay that would cause this or where the chime actually is?
Maybe I could look over all the wiring if I knew where the wires were running. Any help would be great!
BTW, I would pull the fuse, but with the chime, I would loose the navigator and some other stuff as well.
thanks,
Lee

Lee'sdaytona
12-29-2005, 05:55 PM
AHH I THINK I FOUND THE CHIME!! I was out there and it sounded like it was coming from the boost gauge/info center. Well I'm looking at this one that I'm about to give to Subliminal, and it looks like the grey box on the back of the info center PCB is it! I know the chime wire is blue with a white stripe and that wire followes right to the info center. Do you think if I replace the actual chime it would fix my problem? or do you guys think its a wiring problem?
thanks,
Lee

supercrackerbox
12-29-2005, 06:17 PM
I suspect it's a wiring problem. The chime itself is mounted under the dash above the glovebox. I've seen them in blue and grey. I literally replaced all the wiring in my 88 and the thing still wouldn't stop going off, I finally just unplugged it.

Lee'sdaytona
12-29-2005, 07:03 PM
yeah I just learned the hard way that what I THOUGHT was the chime was not. Problem is still there. SUPERCRACKERBOX: Did you ever attempt to replace the actual chime? I don't think my wiring is at fault here...Well I don't know what to think anymore...but did you ever replace your chime and do you think they are still avaiable from the dealer?
I really want mine to work properly.
-Lee

GLHSKEN
12-29-2005, 07:16 PM
It's a shorting issue.. Most electronics work off a ground... Yours is grounding.

supercrackerbox
12-30-2005, 12:07 AM
I swapped around between a few that I had laying around (I've stripped a few daytonas over the years), but to no avail. Mine went off as long as the ignition was on, regardless of lights, doors, or anything. The only thing I didn't try was swapping in new door switches, seems no one can order in the proper ones. Called the dealer, and they said they didn't have a picture, and they needed to be paid for before they ordered and were non-returnable. So I asked how I would know if they were the right ones, and they said "Well, this is what they show for a G-body, so it's right." Yeah, heard that one before.

If you want to try one, I can send you one, but I think it's a grounding issue somewhere like Ken said.

Lee'sdaytona
12-30-2005, 12:07 AM
any idea of a typical spot where the wire would ground out? I think most of the blue wire (w/ white line) for the chime runs through the PLASTIC dash...so I'm not sure where it could be grounding out....
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
12-30-2005, 12:10 AM
wait, would the dome light switch on the driver's door do something like this? The light doesn't come on while driving and the chime only comes on every once in a while when the headlights are on...maybe I have another defective headlight switch. Because I think somewhere in that swich also switches on the chime.....But I shook the crap out of the headlamp switch while it was removed, yet plugged in and the chime kept on chimin'
-Lee

supercrackerbox
12-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Well, seeing as it goes off when your lights are on, I'm thinking two possibilities. When working properly, the dinger should go off when you leave the lights on and open the door (a feature that would have saved my GLHS many jump starts). So, I would start at the headlight switch and the door switches.

When I pulled the dash out of my 88, I found all the wiring to the headlight switch was pinched and worn thru the insulation. I also found a lot of varying levels of quality control, but we'll save that for another thread. Check all of that wiring, make sure it's not getting pinched anywhere, and then check the wiring to the door swithes in the door jamb. These tend to get pretty nasty over the years. Pull it out with an 11mm socket, and you will have two yellow wires, one with a black stripe. Check that as well for worn spots and/or corrosion.

Question: Does everything else work properly as far as dome light and door indicators when you open the door?

Lol, looks like the two of us are typing our replies at the same time!

Lee'sdaytona
12-30-2005, 12:24 AM
yeah lol...its nice to both be on at the same time! As a matter of a fact, the dome light switch on the driver's side didn't work for awhile. It just started working recently and I know that I replaced this switch once. I remember the wires getting all twisted from me hooking up the switch and threading it back in the hole. So I can pull that switch tomorrow and check it out. THe headlamp switch had all the wires pinched about 3 inches from the switch but it has since been spliced and insulated nicely. I really messed around with those wires today and the chime didn't go off at all. So I think you may have something there with the door switch.
thanks,
Lee

Lee'sdaytona
12-30-2005, 12:26 AM
BTW, what confuses me though, is if the chime goes off while I'm driving with the headlights on, and assuming my door switch is at fault, than wouldn't the dome light come on as well?
-Lee

CSX321
12-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Yes, in my CSX the chime module is above the glovebox. Mine was randomly going off, and I eventually decided it was the module itself, since hitting the glove box would stop it. :) I unplugged it finally.

Lee'sdaytona
12-30-2005, 12:12 PM
yeah, well Today, I cleaned up the door switch which both wires were loose. I wire brushed the green stuff off, added some dialectric grease and crimped the connectors a bit tighter. Hopefully that was my issue. I know I tried to open and slam the glove box door to shut it up and it didn't work :) Thanks for everyone's help, and if it happenes again, I'm going to try installing a new chime, followed by pulling the plug on the chime :cool:
-Lee

lordzedd
03-19-2006, 12:06 AM
I think I may have a similar problem...

I just brought home an 88 Pacifica auto.
When I start the car, this eerie chirp eminates from somewhere behind the dash. This will only occur if both doors are closed, and if the dome light is not switched on. Also, if the Infinity radio is switched on during these conditions, no sound comes out, but the clock blinks on and off. I do not hear a warning chime when I open the door with the headlights on.

The odometer and trip meter are also dead. I don't think this is related, but the previous owner mentioned it happening around the same time as the chirp.

This seems to be a problem with my dash wiring, but since I don't have access to diagrams or any experience with Daytonas, I am wary of just jumping into it.

Thanks,
Zach

p.s. My doors are also impossibly hard to open from the outside, I had to crawl through the hatch to open the door today. Is this common?

lordzedd
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Turns out the sound was due to a blown fuse. :banghead: There's a rookie for you.