PDA

View Full Version : 1987 TII vs TI LM's (socketting)

Mopar_Nutz
06-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Just curious here. If I want to get a LM socketted for my 87 Shelby Charger, can I use any TI LM or do I need a GLHS or Shelby Z LM? I've got a stage II in it right now but don't want to have the car down while it's getting done. So I guess I'm wondering if there's a physical need for the TII LM (due to the AIS difference) or can a TI be made to work?

turbo xtc
06-08-2006, 11:41 PM
whats your service number on the lm?

MiniMopar
06-09-2006, 12:09 AM
The key for you is that you have an L-body, which actually uses the 86 electronics. The 1987 T1/T2 logic modules are the same. You can put a T2 chip in a T1 LM and it will work. 1986 is a different story because there was no offical T2...just the Shelby stuff. So a 1986 T1 computer typically cannot be made into a T2 without additional board mods. There are a few 86 T1 LMs out there that have all the hardware, but it is hit or miss.

From the outside, the only difference between the 86 and 87 LM is a few pins on the connectors have to be swapped around and the MAP sensor was moved out of the LM and under the hood in 87. Inside they are quite different.

Anyway, to answer you question: if you don't want to tweak your wiring, you will need a GLHS (86 or 87) LM (both are really 86). A Shelby Z won't work, as that is an 87 LM.

Mopar_Nutz
06-09-2006, 02:05 AM
So if I was to pick up an 87 TI LM, swap the pins around, socket it and burn a chip, will everything work alright? Basically can you turn an 87 TI into an 87 TII just by burning a chip and have it run a TII car (or 2.5 in this case)

Mopar_Nutz
06-09-2006, 03:04 AM
whats your service number on the lm?
I've got a stocker, MP and Stage II. Where do I find the service #'s on them?

MiniMopar
06-09-2006, 10:34 AM
So if I was to pick up an 87 TI LM, swap the pins around, socket it and burn a chip, will everything work alright?

Yes, but you will need to run two more wires to the 4-wire AIS motor found on the T2 throttle body and 3 wires to relocate the MAP sensor. For the MAP, you can just mount it above the LM under the dash, if you don't want to run it over to the strut tower.

Basically can you turn an 87 TI into an 87 TII just by burning a chip and have it run a TII car (or 2.5 in this case)

Typically, yes. You still have to run the additional 2 wires to the AIS motor, though.

Mopar_Nutz
06-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Alright thats easy enough. It's already TII converted and everything, but with putting the 2.5 in, I wanted to get a 2.5 chip put into it. So I can go pick up an 87 TI LM at the yard to get socketted and still have the car running on the Stage II thats in it until I get the 2.5 chip in :)

Thanks!