PDA

View Full Version : 86' GLH Turbo Production Details....Silver?

fmicmatt
05-04-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a Silver 86' GLH and want to know how rare it is.

I already checked the knowledge center... No silver listing.

Thanks

Marcus86GLHS
05-05-2010, 04:42 AM
in 1986, dodge only sold a few thousand GLH and GLH Turbos. black was the most common color both in 1985 and 1986 by most accounts.

at this point in time, any surviving 86 GLH in silver is a very difficult find.

pix?

Keito
05-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I had a friend ask me what color my 86 GLHT was, I told him silver on silver, he said its really rare.
How true is that?

sy2206
05-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Sup! It's an 86? I thought it was an 85, but obviously you would know better then I would.

This car is silver with gray interior, and is also a factory non-A/C car. It's not in bad shape. Fairly rust free, but needs paint(faded on the roof). It's converted to TII w/ a 1-piece intake, garrett TII, and a GLHS rad/ic setup. Also has a 520 w/ obx. I'll have to look, I might have a pict or two around here. This is my brother posting(FMICMatt), so I've seen/driven the car a couple times. He's located just south of Seattle, WA.

Matt, your location still says Hawaii...

BadAssPerformance
05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the forum from Hawaii!? :)

If anyone has the production numbers, lets add this to the KC :thumb:

Marcus86GLHS
05-05-2010, 06:37 PM
"......This car is silver with gray interior, and is also a factory non-A/C car..........."

Mark, that's my favorite GLH-T combo right there.

GLHS069
05-06-2010, 09:01 AM
"......This car is silver with gray interior, and is also a factory non-A/C car..........."

Mark, that's my favorite GLH-T combo right there.

How about silver with a maroon interior? Did they ever make that? Now that would be interesting, just like the black with tan interior.

sy2206
05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
How about silver with a maroon interior? Did they ever make that? Now that would be interesting, just like the black with tan interior.

I know for sure they did make black with gold interior. I think you could get silver with maroon interior. I agree, that would look good. Silver with blue interior would look nice also.

iTurbo
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Is black/tan rare? I believe I have only seen one other one on the forum here that was original.

Here's mine about five years ago. Been in a garage since '06:(

http://www.turbosedan.com/jerm/022004/101MSDCF/DSC00683.JPG

Turbodave
05-06-2010, 12:20 PM
http://www.dempseybowling.com/sheldodg/sheldod2.htm

All the production info I've been able to find on the GLH is on Dempsey's site. No breakdown for any colors other than santa-fe blue.

bradp
05-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I owned an 85 Santa Fe blue with red interior and an 86 silver with blue interior. Both Turbo no option cars. The Silver one rests in pieces as my ex brother-in-law totalled it. The blue 85 is now in Western Illinois.

vipernbox
05-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Is black/tan rare? I believe I have only seen one other one on the forum here that was original.

Here's mine about five years ago. Been in a garage since '06:(

http://www.turbosedan.com/jerm/022004/101MSDCF/DSC00683.JPG

I had a Black/tan GLH T.. Rust bucket.. I still have the hood and some interior parts...

omniac
05-06-2010, 01:46 PM

I have silver with maroon interior (well it's either red or maroon - they look the same to me), factory NON a/c car, with rear wiper and defrost !! :love:

The dealer brochure from 1986 has a silver/maroon interior car on the iside pages (I think)....

Marcus86GLHS
05-06-2010, 01:52 PM
"......I think you could get silver with maroon interior.........."

The literature supports being able to order a silver GLH with any of the (4) Omni cloth interiors: red, blue, silver, or tan. There was no maroon in an Omni as far as I know of.

Dave D. has a silver/red 85 GLHT that runs mid 11's, it was one of the COTM's from 2007.

omniac
05-06-2010, 02:12 PM

The literature supports being able to order a silver GLH with any of the (4) Omni cloth interiors: red, blue, silver, or tan. There was no maroon in an Omni as far as I know of.

Dave D. has a silver/red 85 GLHT that runs mid 11's, it was one of the COTM's from 2007.

perhaps we are confusing maroon with red ??

GLHS069
05-06-2010, 03:14 PM
stop splitting hairs!!!:) even if the factory called it red, it's actually closer to maroon/dark red.

sy2206
05-06-2010, 10:04 PM
I owned an 85 Santa Fe blue with red interior and an 86 silver with blue interior. Both Turbo no option cars. The Silver one rests in pieces as my ex brother-in-law totalled it. The blue 85 is now in Western Illinois.

Blue with red interior? And it was factory that way? I didn't think that was an available option. Wow, I would think that would clash big time...

I bet the silver w/ blue interior looked sweet.

Got any picts?

bradp
05-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes the codes were right.A Chrysler exec ordered it originally. I'll see if I can find the vin and run a vips on it. It wasnt the prettiest thing but it wasn't horrible.

cordes
05-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Wow, I didn't realize that the blue cars were that rare. I wonder how rare gold and silver are now. I bet the sold just a handful of the gold cars.

iTurbo
05-07-2010, 01:09 AM
That blue/red combo sounds strange. I keep thinking Papa Smurf...anyway, as far as I can tell I would say gold is the rarest color. I would almost rather have a gold GLH Turbo than a GLHS if they were in the same condition. I do like the tan interior much better than the red. I remember my first car was a red/red GLH with tinted windows and it was like a cave in there!

Marcus86GLHS
05-07-2010, 04:45 AM
".....I would almost rather have a gold GLH Turbo than a GLHS ........"

same here. those gold glh turbos are very rare, and with the tan interior really look sharp.

i think if you looked at the total population of all GLH's from 1984-1986 you'd see the most produced interior color was the red.

sy2206
05-07-2010, 07:30 AM
i think if you looked at the total population of all GLH's from 1984-1986 you'd see the most produced interior color was the red.

Yeah, I would probably agree with that. Red or gray for sure. I think a black GLH with blue interior would look nice also.

I'm not sure whats more rare for an exterior color, silver or gold. They didn't make many of either one of those colors...

roachjuice
05-30-2010, 06:53 PM
what year did they make the gold glh? was it a 85 only? or both years?

sy2206
05-31-2010, 10:53 PM
what year did they make the gold glh? was it a 85 only? or both years?

Both...

fmicmatt
05-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Anyone have a contact at dodge that can access records and look this up?

I'm willing to do the wild goose chase if I can just get a running start.

Name and #

Thanks- Matt

blk86trbo
06-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Many years ago (1998?) I bought a gold 85 GLHT with tan interior from Chicagoland SDAC member Jim Ptak. It was definitely an interesting color combo!

Would Chrysler let you combine any color paint/interior? Imagine a gold GLHT with a blue interior :p

sy2206
06-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Many years ago (1998?) I bought a gold 85 GLHT with tan interior from Chicagoland SDAC member Jim Ptak. It was definitely an interesting color combo!

Would Chrysler let you combine any color paint/interior? Imagine a gold GLHT with a blue interior :p

Wow, Jim Ptak, I remember him. Yeah, he hasn't been around the scene for a long time that I know of. Gold with tan interior is actually fairly common. I guess "common" may not be the word I'm looking for, seeing as gold is pretty rare. I guess what I'm trying to say is, in a gold car, I don't know that you can get anything buy the tan interior. Some colors of cars had options like that, some did not. For example, a silver GLH could have gray, maroon, or blue interior, but a gold GLH was only available with the tan interior as far as I know.

It would be cool to get a color breakdown of what cars were made in what exterior/interior color combos. It would be even better to get a breakdown of what cars came with what options, like the bumperettes, full size spare, rear wiper, rear defrost, visor map lights, A/C, etc.

sy2206
06-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Anyone have a contact at dodge that can access records and look this up? I'm willing to do the wild goose chase if I can just get a running start. Name and #

Thanks- Matt

It's not an issue of getting ahold of someone to get the info, it's the issue of Chrysler never recorded this info when the cars were being built, so what we're looking for will never exist.

On your Viper, things are different. Vipers are very specific cars, built and marketed towards a very high-end enthusiast niche community. With so much computer stuff being used in ordering/production of more current models, it's very easy for Chrsyler to keep track of that data as the cars are being produced, it's no big deal. That works out great for the Viper enthusiasts. Chrysler is already keeping track of all the production data, so when the enthusiasts ask for numbers, all it takes is a couple minutes to run the query in the computer, and you've got all the info you could ever want. Works out good for everyone, minimal extra work on Chryslers end, and the enthusiast owners are happy because they get the data they're looking for. However, back in the mid 80's when our cars were being produced, it was a low-cost economy car, and computer usage was minimal at best. It would have been way too much of a pain in the --- to keep track of all this, especially considering these weren't really designed as an enthusiast vehicle, they were just another Omni with a turbo and ground effects. At that time, Chrysler was more concerned about trying to stay in business then record production numbers of some econo-box cars...

omniac
06-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Why doesn't someone start a poll asking what year and exterior color and interior color combo their GLH is. Afterall it really only interests me in knowing how many are left instead of how many were built - especially since we will never know how many of each color combo were built.

Marcus86GLHS
06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
"......Why doesn't someone start a poll .............."

even an internet-based poll on a website like this one would barely scratch the surface of all the remaining GLH's out there. After all these years with the internet, there is still a lot of folks not participating in on-line car-oriented websites.

The best we can do is draw generalities on the GLH production break-down, as discussed in this thread.

cordes
06-01-2010, 11:31 PM
"......Why doesn't someone start a poll .............."

even an internet-based poll on a website like this one would barely scratch the surface of all the remaining GLH's out there. After all these years with the internet, there is still a lot of folks not participating in on-line car-oriented websites.

The best we can do is draw generalities on the GLH production break-down, as discussed in this thread.

Very true. For example, I have seen one post to the SDML from a guy who lives an hour away from me. He is the original owner of a GLHT and just needed a part IIRC. Either way his car is rarely out and about while he is not on the net at all either.